Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Niklas
What is the difference between 911 and 914 front suspension ?

www.niklasgarage.com

Niklas
pcar916
QUOTE(Niklas @ Dec 10 2010, 09:51 AM) *

What is the difference between 911 and 914 front suspension?

Depends on which years you're talking about but the short list is as follows;

- The struts have wider caliper mounting holes for bigger brakes (wider variety)
- The cross-member is steel on the 914 and aluminum on the 911
- The torsion bars are splined differently so you have to know which when you re-spring the front. I've heard talk that there may be a bigger variety of 911 torsion bars than 914, but I've never had any trouble finding either. Perhaps I'm just lucky!
- Shock inserts are different on the 914 but in general, the Boge struts can accept Bilstein or Koni inserts as long as they're meant for the 914 specifically.
- Bilstein struts require Bilstein inserts. Apparently there was at least one year when the Bilstein's came on the car, or it could be ordered with them. I don't know those details.

You can put 911 struts on the 914 bits. I have Bilstein struts on my otherwise original 914 A-arms.

Regardless of which you choose, when the tie-rods are replaced, do it with a turbo tie rod kit.

Others more anal than I will fill in the blanks in the above description

Good luck
carr914
Also, there are some years for the 911/930 that have an underbody sway-bar. To put this on a 914, you need the the cross member, sway-bar a-arms and the strut housing as one package as the a-arms have a different attachment for the sway-bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.