Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's all in the name...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Yes, I'm one of those sad people who have named every car he's ever owned.. tongue.gif

I was talking to my brother (who picked up my new baby last night) and he wanted to know what I was going to name it.. Not having seen the car in person, or even sat in it yet, I couldn't answer him.

BUT, it got me to thinking about it at least...

I also began wondering what you guys have named your cars (if you will admit to anything!)....

C'mon.. Don't be shy! unsure.gif

DOUGIE
jdogg
I haven' t named them, but my wife has :
'74 2.0 "that damn red car"
'73 2.0 "the god damned yellow car"

devil.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(jdogg @ Apr 11 2003, 05:45 AM)
I haven' t named them, but my wife has :
'74 2.0 "that damn red car"
'73 2.0 "the god damned yellow car"

devil.gif

laugh.gif

This is not what I expected, but... Very apt!

When I had a Suzuki Cappuccino (yes.. It really was named that), I called her Suzi, and my parnter called her "That F@*%ING tin-can of yours"

Anyone else????
L8Apex
jdogg, our cars have the same first names!

"that damn white car!"
Jeroen
When I had a Suzuki Cappuccino

Wow, you had one of those? Those are small cars!
Very fun though and a cool roof construction (targa & convertible)

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
My girlfriend named it "That fucking Porsche"

Geoff
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 11 2003, 06:18 AM)
When I had a Suzuki Cappuccino

Wow, you had one of those? Those are small cars!
Very fun though and a cool roof construction (targa & convertible)

cheers,

Jeroen

Yeah, That was one fo the most fun car's I've ever owned!!!! I loved it to pieces (Quirks and all)..

It had a 657cc 3 cyl. Turbo Charged engine that screemed! And handling to die for!

The roof construction was amazing but god forbid you get caught in the rain and need to put the roof up in a hurry!.

For those of you who don't know what we're on about .. go to The Suzuki Cappuccino Owners Club...

Like the 914, the people who own them are real enthusiasts and have VERY active social meets..

I look forward to that with the 914!!

Doug
Bruce Allert
whoa! these look really cool. I gotta check them out closer
bruce
P.s. Oh ya... forgot what the post was about!
Personal plate says "R-PUNKN" and I refer to it as Punkin rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
I haven't named mine either, but like others my wife has. She calls it a "pick up car" She say's "all that car is good for is picking up chicks!" "You can't fit the kids in it!" I guess if I were to name it I would have to give it a girls name because my wife seems a little jelious. Well all I say to her is, "HEY BABEEE, you want to go for a spin? smlove2.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Apr 11 2003, 06:37 AM)
whoa! these look really cool. I gotta check them out closer

yeah.. they are a most excellent car.. They never made it to the states in any form of production run.. I have heard about the odd one being exported, but they only hit the UK in a limited run of 899.

There are only around 400 originals left of the original UK run...

I miss her dearly.. If I still had it I would be shipping it back home with me!

Doug
Bruce Allert
So that's why I couldn't find anything listed for sale. I looked on Ebay and Collector car trader and nadda. They look like a new production car.
bruce
SirAndy
it's just "Her" and "My little redhead girlfriend".

Actually, Shannon is the one who always makes jokes about
picking up girls and the car being a "Babe-Magnet".
And she plays the "Porsche-Girl" very well when we take the car for a spin :-)

Andy
Mueller
I've never really named any of my vehicles...nor have I considered whether a particular car was a he or a she....I guess I have a hard time naming an inanimate object
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 11 2003, 09:27 AM)
I guess I have a hard time naming an inanimate object

might has to do with the english language.
i german, everything has a "sex", either male, female or neutral.
it just feels natural to refer to a car as "She" ...
Curvie Roadlover
I've named my car "Inga" but I never call it that. I usually just call it the "little car" due to it's relative size compared to my Montero Sport. I try not to refer to it as "the Porsche" because I believe that conjures up images in peoples heads that this car doesn't live up to.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 11 2003, 09:49 AM)
I try not to refer to it as "the Porsche" because I believe that conjures up images in peoples heads that this car doesn't live up to.

now that is a invitation for flames cool.gif
GWN7
I've named ours after where they are from. BC and Miss Texas (both white cars). Arizona (red car). The blue and orange cars have no names. The 924 is also a red car, but has no name.
Brad Roberts
I went on a naming spree over the last 3 years:

Trash (white car... white trash)
Bullet (silver car... getting the idea yet ??)
Julius (Orange....Julius)
Hole (black car... black hol_ )

I dont really have a street car that I own right now. The wife hasnt named her silver 914.

B
MJHanna
When I had my 930 the License plate was (BLEWBYU), color was Prussian blue which has a purple tint to it in some light conditions. I called it the “purple pig”. If you have ever run one on a track, you know why. driving.gif
jonwatts
I call mine "the blue car"

When I had two, the other one was "the white car"

I try not to say "the Porsche" because I hope to have more than one again someday smile.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 11 2003, 10:08 AM)
I went on a naming spree over the last 3 years:

Trash (white car... white trash)
Bullet (silver car... getting the idea yet ??)
Julius (Orange....Julius)
Hole (black car... black hol_ )

I dont really have a street car that I own right now. The wife hasnt named her silver 914.

B

I LIKE IT!!!

Orange Julius!!! EXCELLENT!
Brad Roberts
I wanted something more clever than... that FUCKING car.

B
anthony
I picked up this '74 914 and at first we were also calling it white trash mostly because the interior was trashed. The rest of the car isn't too bad:

IPB Image

The car has since been renamed "Gringo" because it's white and because I noticed this cool sticker on the windwhield:

IPB Image

Unfortunately the sticker can't stay because the windshield is cracked and will be replaced shortly.
anthony
It's kind of cool to think that this car was cruising around Mexico when it was brand new. Who, these days, would take their brand new Porsche to Mexico?
JmuRiz
My friends refer to my car as Kermit...so the name has kind of stuck. It's Ravenna Green so it's almost the same color as Kermit.

Nathan
kdfoust
My wife's car is "da benz".
My car is "the bat benz."
The 914 remains nameless thus far although "polarod" and "da poorsh" may stick.

Have fun,
Kevin
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2003, 09:55 AM)

now that is a invitation for flames cool.gif

I would never tell people I have a Porsche without adding a bit more of an explanation. I believe the term Porsche conjures up an image of a very fast, very expensive car, of which my 914 is neither. Not that I'm not proud of it though. My further explanation is that it's a 27 year old classic 2 seater that (at least in my case) has been well preserved, and is a ball to drive (as far as I can remember - it's been 5 months sinse I've driven it - seeWhere the hell is Spring). Flame away if you must. fighting19.gif
Targa
When I first bought my 914 someone had asked me what I would name her and not having given it any thought huh.gif I simply replied "Porsche" as it is a girls name and a Porsche. Though after giving it a little more thought it was changed to Scarlet after its beautiful red color wub.gif
fighting19.gif RPAF ar15.gif
seanery
My new to me '72 which I've never driven is "The 72".
The 74 2.7-6 is either "the blue car" or "the race car".
My 944 turbo is "the black car".

I don't like calling them Porsches because a lot of people
I work and run into get a chip when they hear that! LOL!!

Can you believe that, they go out and spend $30k on an efin'
truck and I'm the "rich" guy with 3 porsches!!

72 $5000
74 $3500 (before it became the money pit)
944 $7900

Add all that up and it's a hell of a lot less than their Grand Cherokee,
Ford Explorer, whatever....

Sorry for the rant, I love these cars and I get pissed when
people try to play the "He's so special" bullshit.
We all make choices in our lives and I've decided to enjoy what
I drive.

So fuck off all you fuckers! (not you guys)
Lawrence
Past Porsches

1973 Olympic Blue 1.7 - Cinderella
1983 944 Metallic Moss Green - Hunter
1976 Summer Yellow 2.0 - Sunshine
1974 Olympic Blue 1.8 - Sky
1972 914 1.7 (parts car) - Sanford

Current cars:

1974 Limited Edition - Storm
1970 /6 Metallic Blue - Elwood (Blues)

It's kind of cool to think that this car was cruising around Mexico when it was brand new. Who, these days, would take their brand new Porsche to Mexico?

Me. I plan on driving the original Carerra Panamericana race route in 2005. I'll be taking Elwood. MDB2.gif

-Rusty
Dave Cawdrey
I have named the teener 'Iron Horse'...
Right on the money, dont cha think wink.gif
ThinAir
In our family the VWs all seem to get names
1975 Bus - Darlene (after a Led Zeppelin song)
1975 Bug - Francis (for Frank Sinatra)
2000 Eurovan Camper - Moby (it's big and they only come in white)

With 4 914s in various states of dismanteling they've all been known by either their color or their year (70 - 73).

Maybe a name will come to mind for the new 73 on the drive down from Seattle. It's yellow, but somehow Tweety doesn't seem right.
my15window
how about 'HITLERS REVENGE' finger.gif
VegasRacer
Of the five 914's I have owned the only one with a special name was a white 72 that I got at a 'bargain' price several years ago and thoughtfully named 'LILLY'. (that name was rarely spoken) When it was parked it was called 'THE PROJECT' and when I was working on it, it was called 'THAT PIECE-O-$H1T'. (Lilly taught me a valuable lesson about buying 'cheap' Porsches.)

It has always bothered me a little when someone (usually a girl) called my 914 'CUTE'. However that could easily be overlooked if she was willing to demonstrate how much she like it. I have never been as forgiving when anyone calls it a 'PORCH' (one sylable).
joea9146
My wife named all her cars it kind of rubbed off on me now.... here is the current standing:

75 - 914 Betty
84 - 911 BK (Black Knight)
00 - BMW Bruno
00 - ML320 Mario
99 - Saab Kemo (Kemo Saaby)
need4speed
My Ghia is "Lola" - the morning after I had rented the movie Run Lola, Run, I was heading to work, and it was a typical foggy late-summer morning in California, so the carb was icing up, (which is why I eventually went the 912 route), and the engine was hesitating up a hill. Almost stalled on me, so I said "Run Lola, Run" as I pumped her up the hill, and it stuck.

My old Volvo 760 turbo was "Loki" (Norse god of mischief) - because of the wonky electrical problems she had.

My 91 Volvo 240 doesn't really have a name. She's that nondescript.

Neither does my wife's Trooper have a name. She doesn't believe in getting personal with cars, because inevitably, they just let you down in the end.
madd_dogg_914
Well, my 914 shares it's name with a famous cartoon movie star. Lady (As in Lady and te Tramp). My mom had her's (blue) and my step dad had his (brown) And they were dubbed Lady and the Tramp. Once my mom passed away I had to keep the name, so she still remains to this day "Lady" And I keep a pin of Lady and the Tramp on my sun visor so that everytime the sun comes out I am reminded of my mom! Here is Lady in all her glory:
madd_dogg_914
ANd here is my beast. the 1998 Lexus GS400 daily driver. I call her the Green Meanie!
Hawk
INGA!!
Geez, Curvie. No wonder you spent so much time under her alone in your garage this winter. Does wifey know? laugh.gif
J P Stein
"ulf"...an acronym for an anachronism.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Hawk @ Apr 12 2003, 12:22 PM)
INGA!!
Geez, Curvie. No wonder you spent so much time under her alone in your garage this winter. Does wifey know? laugh.gif

Wife won't know as long as you don't tell her. Don't tell Inga about my wife, either. smlove2.gif
ArtechnikA
my first car, a '65 (?) VW 1500 (later 1600) 'S' Notchback was named 'Wolfgang.' it was replaced by a very rusty, very early Euro 912 which got named 'Beowulf' after a long series of dramatic adventures. the white Euro 914.6 that replaced it was not named. the yellow 914.6 had a name, but it will be getting a new one (and a -complete- thematic treatment) once it's together and running again. the '53 Coupé had a name related to its color, but since it won't be that color long after i start the restoration, it's lost rights to that name...

the '83 ur-GTI SCCA SOLO-II caar was, of course, The WonderBunny. Joy's '94 Sentra is referred to as 'The Nissan Valdez' and the Subaru Outback has no name as of yet.

the ex-LB '71 911E may or may not get a name, as its personality presents itself. as it's white, and i have a fondness for strong German beers named, by tradition, names ending in "-ator" (e.g. Kulminator, Optimator, Triumphator...) it may well wind up being named "Kelvinator." too soon to tell...
Lawrence
Rich,

The 911's current nickname is "Babe", as a certain Toolwench thinks 911 are shaped vaguely like pigs.

-Rusty
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 13 2003, 05:25 AM)
The 911's current nickname is "Babe", as a certain Toolwench thinks 911 are shaped vaguely like pigs.

i'll certainly keep that in mind -- if it ever gets a SPAM-pink repaint ... barf.gif
djm914-6
Great idea Rich! I'll bring my guns, some paint and a few rolls of tape with me to Hershey. Then, when you're not looking, I have a go at "Babe". Now where can I get some air tanks... boldblue.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Apr 13 2003, 06:33 AM)
... I'll bring my guns, some paint and a few rolls of tape with me to Hershey. Then, when you're not looking, I have a go at "Babe". ...

when i get a 917, we can have a go at duplicating the 'Schweine' car. until then, just remember this simple rule: You Touch, You Die... ar15.gif
street legal go-kart
the 68 gmc pu fire wood and parts hauler w/345hp/308trq/302ci out of a road race camero was named by a buddy after his first ride , THE WHITE DEATHER .[still fingerprints in the dash from him.]
the 95 firehawk was the BLACK CAR by my son .
95 gt 5.0 mustang by sport tech was theGREEN HORNET [ fun car , but like my wifes vetts , make you car sick if you drove it at 9/10ths .
the teener is ONE , one in a long list of more to come .
i am very lucky , my wife likes fast cars as much as i do and i can justify almost anything as long as the house payment is made . smlove2.gif
Carl
Naming inanimate things has always been a little strange for me but the 914 is unique because of the shape, design, character, etc. I've been partial to Helmut.

Carl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.