Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L prototype air intake parts in factory manual
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Stumbled on this recently...how many differences can you see in this drawing, from what was actually produced? I count about 8. This is not the only prototype stuff in the factory manual. Thought some of you would find it interesting.
sean_v8_914
1 filter housing size
2 shape
3 bolt down air cleaner no clips
4 wheres the air temp go?
5 no center stiffening tubes
6 box body is on the right instead of left or the whole thing is 180 clocked as it mounts to block
7 air bypass hole/adjuster
8 throttle body clocked 90 deg off, wheres the cable holder?
9 split down the vertical plane like a 1.7

OK Jeff, what differences did you not?
htis was fun.
904svo
No air filter shown or part number not number 8.
Tom_T
Hey Jeff, I also thought it was interesting that they always showed the "wrong" 2.0 airbox on the sales brochure cutaways for 73-76 as well (it always showed the correct "Banana" muffler, so it's a 2.0 - see below).

I guess it was more of a hassle/cost to change the artwork back in the pre-CAD days! biggrin.gif

73-74 2L -
Click to view attachment

75-76 2L -
Click to view attachment

BTW all y'all - these pix above are courtesy of Jeff's excellent 914 website too!

However, I've never seen a 2L airbox with that pattern on top either!? confused24.gif
The early ones like mine below come the closest, but no cigar!

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
Tom_T
To my eyes in this larger scale pic below (also one of Jeff's) - it looks more like they're representing a squarish box with a neck attached to it (2 pieces), rather than 1 piece with the neck a single form extension from the square-ish air filter housing area on mine in the post above.

Click to view attachment

There were also at least 4 embossed/stamped patterns on the 2.0L air filter boxes, as follows:

Early 73 MY - Diamonds + cross-ribs, like mine in the pic in the prior post (GA motors)
....................... also early 73 - a similar version with diamonds but no cross-ribs

Late 73 - 74 MYs - Cross-ribs only (GA motors)

75 -76 MYs - Smooth tops (GC motors)

I'm not sure if it followed the same pattern for the GB Euro/World 2.0L motors, but suspect it did.
DanT
early '74 2.0L aircleaner.....slight color change biggrin.gif
DanT
and my early '75 2.0L aircleaner is identical to this except without the color change smile.gif
Tom_T
Hey Dan, do your tins match? blink.gif

Late 73 ... also 74 My, no color change! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Ooops, sorry for the dupe, I guess I double-clicked!
DanT
yes they do biggrin.gif drooley.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 11 2010, 11:40 AM) *

yes they do biggrin.gif drooley.gif

Well - if the smell of petrol in the morning doesn't wake you up, that ORANGE!!!! certainly will! biggrin.gif
DanT
all orange....
the entire car.
Smoothed and painted top, painted sail panels, engine compartment, trunks

it was ORANGE (phoenix red to be exact smile.gif)
bandjoey
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 11 2010, 01:49 PM) *

all orange....
the entire car.
Smoothed and painted top, painted sail panels, engine compartment, trunks

it was ORANGE (phoenix red to be exact smile.gif)

Small HJ
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

(Dan's Car??)
DanT
just one.... biggrin.gif
davep
I noticed at Mike G's place, a couple of weeks ago, that he had at least three different housings.
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 12 2010, 10:41 AM) *

I noticed at Mike G's place, a couple of weeks ago, that he had at least three different housings.

That must have been one crowded engine compartment Dave! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.