Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help installing dash vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I have done this once correctly and the last time incorrectly so looking for some words of wisdom.
Installing new vinyl ( have dash out as well) ...Question is on foam.

How far toward passenger compartment does it extend. Is it best to hold short of the bump...i.e Should foam extend all the way under the dash cover or fall short. Hope ya'll understand my question...Taking a food break so any help is appreciated. Damn I hate this job ! barf.gif
Terry
Valy
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 11 2010, 11:32 AM) *

I have done this once correctly and the last time incorrectly so looking for some words of wisdom.
Installing new vinyl ( have dash out as well) ...Question is on foam.

How far toward passenger compartment does it extend. Is it best to hold short of the bump...i.e Should foam extend all the way under the dash cover or fall short. Hope ya'll understand my question...Taking a food break so any help is appreciated. Damn I hate this job ! barf.gif
Terry

Trim the foam to the exact shape. Let only the vinyl run under the dash. Make sure it runs for about an inch under the dash.

Clean the windshield vents well before fitting the vinyl.
shoguneagle
If I understand your question, the top cap of the dash (instrument and top front edge cover should overlap the vinyl and the foam rubber underneath. The foam and vinyl cover should come somewhere maybe 1/4th to 3/8th inch from the the front leading edge and conform to the outline of the dash edges and behind the instrument pod.

You can always leave an overlap and cut back making sure the top cover covers the edges of the foam rubber and vinyl cover material.

Steve
sixaddict
Thanks for the help.
Can't believe it ...spent hours cleaning old adhesive off....Foam prematurely stuck and ripped causing me to start over (fortunately have and extraz kit......I am ill and a headbang.gif
Ciao

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Dec 11 2010, 01:27 PM) *

If I understand your question, the top cap of the dash (instrument and top front edge cover should overlap the vinyl and the foam rubber underneath. The foam and vinyl cover should come somewhere maybe 1/4th to 3/8th inch from the the front leading edge and conform to the outline of the dash edges and behind the instrument pod.

You can always leave an overlap and cut back making sure the top cover covers the edges of the foam rubber and vinyl cover material.

Steve

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.