Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator or gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
Fun with electricity, round 34:

While running, the voltage gauge on my console has shown 13+ volts all summer, with the usual dips with lights on, etc. Started up this morning and it shows a bit under 12, again with the normal dips. No variation with RPM.

VOM will read 13.2 volts at battery with the car off, about 13 with it running. VOM reads 13 volts at the clips at the back of the gauge with car running.

Colder this morning than usual (22 degrees). Drove the car for about 15 minutes with parking lights on, and VOM still read 13 volts at the battery with the car off.

"G" light was disconnected somewhere along the line.

Seems like a gauge problem to me, but what sayest you all?
Ferg
If you are between 13-14.5 through all rpms measured at the battery you are good to go IMO.

I pay no attention to the gauge, unless it pegs one way or the other.

Ferg
windforfun
QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 11 2010, 03:31 PM) *

If you are between 13-14.5 through all rpms measured at the battery you are good to go IMO.

I pay no attention to the gauge, unless it pegs one way or the other.

Ferg

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(timofly @ Dec 11 2010, 03:27 PM) *

While running, the voltage gauge on my console has shown 13+ volts all summer, with the usual dips with lights on, etc. Started up this morning and it shows a bit under 12, again with the normal dips. No variation with RPM.

VOM will read 13.2 volts at battery with the car off, about 13 with it running. VOM reads 13 volts at the clips at the back of the gauge with car running.

Colder this morning than usual (22 degrees). Drove the car for about 15 minutes with parking lights on, and VOM still read 13 volts at the battery with the car off.

Sounds like a charging issue. 13 is on the low side, and the fact that you lost .2 volts with the car running sounds fishy. Start the car, turn all the lights on, and see if the voltage continues to drop. (using a DVM) ignore the gauge.
timofly
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 11 2010, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(timofly @ Dec 11 2010, 03:27 PM) *

Sounds like a charging issue. 13 is on the low side, and the fact that you lost .2 volts with the car running sounds fishy. Start the car, turn all the lights on, and see if the voltage continues to drop. (using a DVM) ignore the gauge.

Thanks for the response. How low is too low with idle and all lights on?
Ferg
Start the car, turn on everything, wipers, headlights, foglights, heater, radio, measure while running at the battery, if it's 22 out, warm it up, if you are at 13 or above don't worry. Rev to 3500 measure again, if you get a small increase .5 or or more that is good. Gauge in center means nothing, 12 is likely really 13.4 at terminals while lights are on under speed, once you get true reading from terminal, use the guage only as reference as to general "idea" of what's going on. (if it suddenly drops to 8 or pegs past 16) then dig deeper.
Cap'n Krusty
If the "G" light doesn't work, the charging system doesn't work. Facts of life.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.