Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question about Sail Vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I ordered a Sail Vinyl kit and I roughed it on yesterday. The problem is that I simply do not like the texture. It is very rough and somewhat dull compared to my newly painted top.

I took a piece of vinyl from the interior and held it next to the sail panel. The interior vinyl piece looks much better. It is shinier and simply looks richer. The question I have, is there any issues using the interior vinyl for an outside application? The vinyl does have a thin fabric back to it.

Thanks in advance
mepstein
Indoor and outdoor vinyl are not the same but you might try a convertable recovering shop and see if they have material you like. Then use your existing vinyl as a template.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 12 2010, 08:18 AM) *

I ordered a Sail Vinyl kit and I roughed it on yesterday. The problem is that I simply do not like the texture. It is very rough and somewhat dull compared to my newly painted top.

I took a piece of vinyl from the interior and held it next to the sail panel. The interior vinyl piece looks much better. It is shinier and simply looks richer. The question I have, is there any issues using the interior vinyl for an outside application? The vinyl does have a thin fabric back to it.

Thanks in advance

James, the factory finish on the tops was a textured satin black - so they were less shiny than the OE pebbled vinyl you're looking at. I'm guessing that your top was refinished with a textured gloss black?

Don't use interior vinyl nor any other with the fabric &/or foam backing, as that will hold moisture against the sheet metal, & you know how much our 914s LOVE to rust! dry.gif

There we some other 914 suppliers I've seen online offering a leatherette texture, maybe 914a&p (member vendor on here)?

Or you could just use Vinyl Wax/Finish to shine up the OE look pebbled vinyl that you've already got in the kit to bring it closer to your top's sheen (or dull the top?). Vinylex works well.
Drums66
...Put something there......but make sure it's exterior friendly idea.gif
or do what you like? yellowsleep[1].gif bye1.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 12 2010, 08:18 AM) *
The problem is that I simply do not like the texture. It is very rough and somewhat dull compared to my newly painted top.

Paint your sail panels to match the top and forget about the vinyl ... shades.gif
EdwardBlume
I used left over leather / vinyl from a motorcycle seat repair in the late 80's. It looked good, lasted 20+ years and no one ever mentioned anything...

Do what you want... beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 12 2010, 11:18 AM) *

Thanks in advance

You didn't mention who made the kit.

Also, the top - how was it finished? If it's a gloss/smooth finish, it's incorrect - should have a pebble/satin gloss finish.

If the sail panels seem too dull, you CAN apply black shoe polish to them, wipe it off, do it again, until it suits you. I use Turtle Wax Black Vinyl Top Dressing fo this pirpose, but I think I bought the last of it in about 1980. It's basically black paste shoe polish.
Pat
ellisor3
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 13 2010, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 12 2010, 11:18 AM) *

Thanks in advance

You didn't mention who made the kit.

Also, the top - how was it finished? If it's a gloss/smooth finish, it's incorrect - should have a pebble/satin gloss finish.

If the sail panels seem too dull, you CAN apply black shoe polish to them, wipe it off, do it again, until it suits you. I use Turtle Wax Black Vinyl Top Dressing fo this pirpose, but I think I bought the last of it in about 1980. It's basically black paste shoe polish.
Pat

The top is satin black with the original pebble finish. I tried yesterday to polish the sails and they still do not look right. The kit I purchased, (cant remember where) looks really dull and the pebble has the texture of sandpaper. I ordered a kit from Morph this morning, I hope it looks better.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.