Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking brake handle removal on a 76?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am trying to remove the parking brake handle on my 76. I've removed the bolt that holds the gear that the brake ratchets on, but I can't get the handle off of the pivot. It's like its riveted on the shaft. Am I missing something? I've tried a BFH and pry bar, but no luck.

The handle on my 73 comes off easily.

I am trying to get the handle off so that I can remove the carpet. I want to save the carpet.

TIA
McMark
It's just rusty. sad.gif
KaptKaos
Here she is:

IPB Image

Stuck beyond belief. I've nuked it with WD40.
moparrob
WD-40 won't get it. Try PB Blaster or other penetrant.
KaptKaos
After this, it will be a 50/50 solution of ATF and Acetone. That shizz gets everything!
76-914
IIRC, disconnect the cable so the handle will have a greater range of motion. Then use a wedge or large screwdriver between the long and handle while pulling up and down on the handle. Once it begins to loosen it get much easier.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2010, 07:50 PM) *

IIRC, disconnect the cable so the handle will have a greater range of motion.

About that... that's rusted worse!
Drums66
....If you don't have it off already?? get some brake fluid in there idea.gif idea.gif
Violla bye1.gif (let sit for a while)
markb
QUOTE(moparrob @ Dec 12 2010, 07:14 PM) *

agree.gif
914werke

IIRC, disconnect the cable so the handle will have a greater range of motion. Then use a wedge or large screwdriver between the long and handle while pulling up and down on the handle. Once it begins to loosen it get much easier.

agree.gif
They tend to wear a grove in the nylon bushing from rust on the pivot, single axis motion & torsion from the cables. Once you got it moving it should come off. Once off, be prepared to remove remnants of the old bushing and replace it in the arm.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 13 2010, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Dec 12 2010, 07:14 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif

movement back and forth, while prying laterally, after applying PB Blaster... then a beer.gif
SLITS
I recommend C4.
76-914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 12 2010, 08:55 PM) *

IIRC, disconnect the cable so the handle will have a greater range of motion.

About that... that's rusted worse!

So was mine so I crawled under and disconnected at the other end. Once you get the handle off you can remove the pin and cable from the interior side easily.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 13 2010, 05:28 PM) *

I recommend C4.

You're no help. smash.gif
swood
Sawzall or Big Bolt cutters. I have both. And Beer...
Just sayin...
KaptKaos
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 13 2010, 08:26 PM) *

Sawzall or Big Bolt cutters. I have both. And Beer...
Just sayin...

We're overdue for a shindig aren't we?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.