Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No 914 shop should be without this stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I met another teener owner at a car show last summer and commented on how nice his weatherstripping looked, thinking they were new. They were not new. He refurbished his old rubber with a product called Plasti-Dip, the stuff that you dip tool handles in to insulate them and provide grip.

I bought a can at HF and tried it out on a couple of gaskets and was very pleased with the results. It's brushable and black and when dry, retains good flexiblity. I also used it to fill small nicks in a bumper top and I'm thinking it'll take care of minor blemishes on interior vinyl. I don't think I've found all the uses for this stuff yet.

Tom
poorsche914
Do you have any before & after pics?

thanks.
Valy
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Dec 12 2010, 03:21 PM) *

I met another teener owner at a car show last summer and commented on how nice his weatherstripping looked, thinking they were new. They were not new. He refurbished his old rubber with a product called Plasti-Dip, the stuff that you dip tool handles in to insulate them and provide grip.

I bought a can at HF and tried it out on a couple of gaskets and was very pleased with the results. It's brushable and black and when dry, retains good flexiblity. I also used it to fill small nicks in a bumper top and I'm thinking it'll take care of minor blemishes on interior vinyl. I don't think I've found all the uses for this stuff yet.

Tom

I've tried this stuff in the past. Tried to paint my dash with it or cover some surfaces.
It works but doesn't adhere well to the surface so it may start peeling some time soon.
Never thought of it for weather strips but might be a smart solution.
I usually fix my weather strips with black RTV since it's easy to model.
URY914
Will UV rays eat it up?
carr914
QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 12 2010, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Dec 12 2010, 03:21 PM) *

Tom

Tried to paint my dash with it or cover some surfaces.
It works but doesn't adhere well to the surface so it may start peeling some time soon.

Probably didn't work due to Armor-All residue
Mike K CO
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 12 2010, 05:27 PM) *

Will UV rays eat it up?

I dipped the feet and clamps of my VW Bus roof rack in the red Plasti-dip about a year ago. It's still a nice and bright red and has held up well. Keep in mind that this is under Colorado UV which is about 6000' closer to the sun that you are! Seems to be pretty good stuff.
underthetire
Used it on the bottom of my relay board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.