Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Social Responsibility
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
After encountering a recent episode that Im sure many of you have experienced I wondered how the collective would line up.

Came across a car FS, contacted the owner who was in pre to early stages of selling.

He was eager to have me come out and look at it with hopes that it would go quickly.

In our phone conversation I asked a few question but mostly listened to his "pitch" about the merits of the 914 in general and this car in particular.

Knowing better, I arranged to visit & inspect, and for what he was asking it looked ...OK until, the hell hole - no battery tray and nice sized hole at the top of the long. Rolled it out for a look-see down below, and shore 'nuff, long completely gone from suspension PU to past the donuts, pan gone into cabin floor and across to tunnel.
sad.gif blink.gif icon8.gif
This car has some good parts on it, but it was a parts car at best & wasn't worth even the modest price the guy was asking.

It was promoted as a "get her running and have a ball" car, In fact I told him that this car had SERIOUS structural problems and was probably unsafe to drive! wacko.gif
I passed thanked him and went on my way.

Im not sure if he knew beforehand if it was as bad off as I recognized or not,
he didn't let on if he did.
But of course it shows up days later with a wash and a new (higher) price with no mention of the serious rust damage.

So if the guy didn't know the car was dust before hand now he does.

The question is do WE in the know have an obligation to call out this kind of stromberg.gif or just let the chips fall and buyer beware? confused24.gif

914werke
Whoops didnt realize I was in the wrong fourm
Admins please move and sorry...
steveherman
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 12 2010, 07:14 PM) *

After encountering a recent episode that Im sure many of you have experienced I wondered how the collective would line up.

Came across a car FS, contacted the owner who was in pre to early stages of selling.

He was eager to have me come out and look at it with hopes that it would go quickly.

In our phone conversation I asked a few question but mostly listened to his "pitch" about the merits of the 914 in general and this car in particular.

Knowing better, I arranged to visit & inspect, and for what he was asking it looked ...OK until, the hell hole - no battery tray and nice sized hole at the top of the long. Rolled it out for a look-see down below, and shore 'nuff, long completely gone from suspension PU to past the donuts, pan gone into cabin floor and across to tunnel.
This car has some good parts on it, but it was a parts car at best & wasn't worth even the modest price the guy was asking.

It was promoted as a "get her running and have a ball" car, In fact I told him that this car had SERIOUS structural problems and was probably unsafe to drive! wacko.gif

But of course it shows up days later with a wash and a new (higher) price with no mention of the serious rust damage.

The question is do WE in the know have an obligation to call out this kind of stromberg.gif or just let the chips fall and buyer beware? confused24.gif

I would think we would look out for each other.
you informed the guy... u should also inform others.
my conscience would not allow me not to do the right thing.

ESPECIALLY IF UNSAFE AND NOT ROAD WORTHY!!!
BuddyV
I would call the seller back, let him know your concerns about the car being sold as a driver, and strongly suggest that the seller consider selling it as a parts car. Remind him that as a parts car it is still worth something, but would be much safer to the new buyer.

See if that works. Seems like your meeting with him went well, yes? Keep it rolling with some constructive suggestions. Hell, help him sell the worthy parts on this site. We might need them.

I have driven a car that was described as better than reality.... not fun, and very unsafe. Happy to say I found the low-grade repairs before I got into serious trouble.

Good luck.

Cheers!
NORD

This Site is supose to be a open forum of 914 people helping each other with

thier cars. If by chance this guy found out after he bought his car it was a piece

of stromberg.gif thats his problem he may have not know till you showed him.

I think it is fair we help each other and being informed of someone passing

off stromberg.gif should be called to everybodys attention. my 2cents.

Thanks Rich and please expose this car santa_smiley.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 12 2010, 07:14 PM) *

I suspect that the guy was a speculator, trying to male a buck. Doesn't excuse trying to pander an unsafe vehicle, but he may not have known.

Regardless. I think it our responsibility, as members of this Forum, tp make potential buyers of crap like this known.

Look, we value our 914's fun, safe, collectible vehicles. Anytime anyone such as this - knowinbg or not comes up, it's our resposibility to warn the rest. You did so, but the specifics are missing. If this 914 is as bad as you suggest (and I have no reason to disaggree with you) you should make the VIN available as an "alert vehicle".

Do the right thing - report it!
Pat
Beach914
I agree. You've defnitely got to question what the seller is doing if he still advertises the car and does not reveal the issues that have been disclosed to him by an enthusiast. He trying to rip some unknowing buyer off. I don't like it when anyone does that for any vehicle or product.
I've certainly learned a lot from all of the great guys sharing information like this on the site.

I wish I had done that on the first car I bought. I hope a potential enthusiast does some research and see our site before they guy this car.

Rand
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 12 2010, 06:18 PM) *
I suspect that the guy was a speculator, trying to male a buck.

Somebody was trying to "male a buck" alright. sheeplove.gif
I ran across a similar situation not too long ago. Called it out and posted here so members would know. I went back to the seller to point out the safety issues. But it was futile because the seller didn't want to hear it.

I think our morals and ethics require us to point things out but I don't think we should stress it beyond that because it's usually a futile waste of time. Hopefully the lame sellers will hear it and take it to heart, even if it kicks in years later.

I have more thoughts on this subject, but will keep them to myself for now.
EdwardBlume
IMHO - anyone old enough to buy a 30+ year old 914 has to be old enough to understand what risks they are taking.

That said, I would 100% share my thoughts and concerns with any 914 world member, and anyone who ASKS my personal opinion on a car.

Says alot that you care though pray.gif
Tom_T
It sounds like you've already warned the seller, and he went the opposite way with his next action to relist higher without the relevant info./disclaimer.

If it were me, I'd post the relevant info & car/seller ID to warn others, then if they still buy from the guy, it's their mistake - not my silent complicity. I can only speak for myself, and pass no judgment on what you decide to do.
sixnotfour
post the add, so we dont waste our time.

as an example (had mice, No still has mice )
914 shifter
expose the ahole you might save a life bs.gif
SGB
Witch hunts can get ugly, but I think you could post the ad with a suggestion that potential buyers look closely at areas you noted with severe corrosion...
sean_v8_914
while you can not change the pointer on another man's moral compass, you can warn others. I am a confrontational man so I would warn him before I call him out, giving him opportunity to retune himself before I do it for him. I allways give someoen the opportunity to make it right before bitching about it.
AvalonFal
Post the ad. You might save someone a lot of future grief and problems.

Paul
JoeSharp
I've done several PPIs for people and always said what I think of the car. When I run into a car that is misrepresented and I tell the seller there is a problem I also mention it here. This is the only place that we can let people know whats up. We have had questionable vendors before and we have managed to get rid of them. One of them even has a simile. stromberg.gif So, yes post the adds and bring out the shysters, as we don't need to be miss-lead (ripped-off) over our passions.
realred914
could be the guy dont know about cars much, and figured you pointing out problems was just you trying to knock down the price? a non-car guy may simply not believe you, a total stranger????

now..... what if he offered a car he though was junk for cheap, and you knew it was worth a ton more, and it is obvius the person knows little about cars, would you feel bad about buying it out from under him cheap?

say he was told by an unscrupulas shop that he needs a new $2000 transmission repair so he knocks down the price to fire sale levels, now you look at the car, hear his story on how he cant afford to fix the transmission for $2000 so he is selling it cheap cuase it needs so much repair.
Then you notice the shift linkage is loose and figure you can repair it for less than $100, you figure the car does NOT need the $2000 tranny repair!

so what does your moral compass say? tell the seller that his shift linakge is loose and it can be fixxed for about $100, and you offer him a higher price? or you offer to help the fellow 914er repair it so he can sell the car for more?

works both ways, many folks would brag about the steal they got if they bought a car that the seller thought was bad, when really the car is good. yet many times that same person would show moral outrage at someone that they think is misreperresenting a car to sell to them.?????

time to go to confession now you all.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:46 AM) *

could be the guy dont know about cars much, and figured you pointing out problems was just you trying to knock down the price? a non-car guy may simply not believe you, a total stranger????

now..... what if he offered a car he though was junk for cheap, and you knew it was worth a ton more, and it is obvius the person knows little about cars, would you feel bad about buying it out from under him cheap?

say he was told by an unscrupulas shop that he needs a new $2000 transmission repair so he knocks down the price to fire sale levels, now you look at the car, hear his story on how he cant afford to fix the transmission for $2000 so he is selling it cheap cuase it needs so much repair.
Then you notice the shift linkage is loose and figure you can repair it for less than $100, you figure the car does NOT need the $2000 tranny repair!

so what does your moral compass say? tell the seller that his shift linakge is loose and it can be fixxed for about $100, and you offer him a higher price? or you offer to help the fellow 914er repair it so he can sell the car for more?

works both ways, many folks would brag about the steal they got if they bought a car that the seller thought was bad, when really the car is good. yet many times that same person would show moral outrage at someone that they think is misreperresenting a car to sell to them.?????

I'd tell the guy to fix his $100 linkage and go merrily along... karma.
914werke

You obviously didnt read my post. dry.gif
As i mentioned the guy wasnt asking that much for the car and I didnt expect much.
In this case I didnt evan make him a counter offer, I simply advised him of what was observed & the seriousness of the damage then said good day.
I otherwise might have, except Im currently lousy with in-op 914's & trying to thin the herd wacko.gif
If he really didnt know much about cars, he could have simply looked at the damage I pointed out, and it would have become crystal clear.

I probably wouldn't have even made mention of this except that after my visit it gets re-posted with pics of the car with an obvious bath and all debris cleared ..
and a price more than $1K higher!

Anyway its posted on the CL in Seattle. Guys name is Will. 76 car. Good Rubber, non running 2.0L (was missing bits incl. the emission system), sway bars & a good dash pad but the rest was avg. to poor and as I said the chassis is a write off to all but the most serious with fab/repair skills.

Good Luck grouphug.gif

r_towle
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/2108206762.html

I think 2500 is a reasonable place to start if there are no other cars for sale in a given aprt of the country.
At the end of the day, its an ASKING price.
If it was 10k and had rust, I would worry.
At 2500, I KNOW it has rust...its jsut a matter of how much rust.

I odnt think you are outing anyone by stating the facts about any car FS online...its just your observations.
It sure saves people alot of time to share this info and as with all used cars, buyer beware.

RIch
Dr Evil
I have paid more for a car because it was nicer than the guy thought, and I have talked many people out of selling because they thought that they could not repair their car by helping them find resources.

Not everyone is a douche. However, I would not hesitate to list this guy, the story, and let the buyer beware.
clow
"For sale as is, don't expect a brand new car, it's over 30 years old" screwy.gif
at least kinda of a warning...
Was this added before or after your visit, just curious. Still doesn't help anyone reading the add though.

I think you did the right thing

Clow
realred914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 13 2010, 02:55 PM) *

You obviously didnt read my post. dry.gif
As i mentioned the guy wasnt asking that much for the car and I didnt expect much.
In this case I didnt evan make him a counter offer, I simply advised him of what was observed & the seriousness of the damage then said good day.
I otherwise might have, except Im currently lousy with in-op 914's & trying to thin the herd wacko.gif
If he really didnt know much about cars, he could have simply looked at the damage I pointed out, and it would have become crystal clear.

I probably wouldn't have even made mention of this except that after my visit it gets re-posted with pics of the car with an obvious bath and all debris cleared ..
and a price more than $1K higher!

Anyway its posted on the CL in Seattle. Guys name is Will. 76 car. Good Rubber, non running 2.0L (was missing bits incl. the emission system), sway bars & a good dash pad but the rest was avg. to poor and as I said the chassis is a write off to all but the most serious with fab/repair skills.

Good Luck grouphug.gif

"You obviously didn't read my post..........BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I did read your post, thats why I made a reply

What makes you think I didn't read it???????

you must have some issue with folks not believing you, some perception that folks will line up behind you 100% if they would only read your post. (or your pronouncments that a car is no good) i know your post is like fricken magic, read it and all will agree with you 100%. anyone with a different outlook, OBVIUSLY DIDN"T READ YOUR POST.

oh... if only the huddeled masses would only read your post, the world would then be right
bmtrnavsky
The best line was "some rust, but it had brand new tires!"
Root_Werks
914's are like most other older cars. You wouldn't go buying one unless you already know what to look for or bring someone or many who do. And if you did take the plunge completely clueless......well, that could suck.

I don't know the first thing about the little MG convertibles and don't want one. But if I did, you can be sure I'd source local folks to help inspect, spend a little to have a PPI done at a local shop that knows or restores the cars etc.

The seller has their perspective on the condition of the item they are selling which could be vastly different than yours.
JoeSharp
Issues, I believe that your issues go much deeper than Rich's. Rich was looking for something that you could not help him with so you decided that he had ripped off people before. He gave his perception of a car that he looked at, the car was not seen by you and decided that he has issues.
Rich is a asset here and I have witnessed him to be a straightforward and honest person.
You Rock Rich. Thanks for pointing out another bad add.
914werke
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:40 AM) *

you must have some issue with folks not believing you, some perception that folks will line up behind you 100% if they would only read your post. (or your pronouncments that a car is no good) i know your post is like fricken magic, read it and all will agree with you 100%. anyone with a different outlook, OBVIUSLY DIDN"T READ YOUR POST.
oh... if only the huddeled masses would only read your post, the world would then be right

WTF.gif
Perhaps if you had actually replied to the original question or at least stayed on topic, instead of hijacking this thread with your angry moral accusatory diatribe, you would have made more sense.

You seem bitter, screwy.gif hissyfit.gif Id seek help with that. lol-2.gif

BTW spell check is quite useful, you should try it some time. shades.gif

So if you have some issue with me, you can KMA.gif . Im done feeding the trolls. biggrin.gif

owned.gif
SLITS
I'm a Californian ... It's a '76 and as so, it is worthless except for the engine & transmission to transplant into an earlier vehicle.

There .... that settles it.
messix
Rich is an ass hat and cuts up prefectly good cars that need just a little "buffing out"! blink.gif

he's a menanice to the 914 community and should be BANNED! bootyshake.gif

914werke
sawzall-smiley.gif BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! av-943.gif
r_towle
RealRed loves you.
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 14 2010, 11:34 AM) *

Rich is an ass hat and cuts up prefectly good cars that need just a little "buffing out"! blink.gif

Hey Rich, looks like we're in the same boat now. That messix dude thinks his stromberg.gif don't stink and won't be happy til we're all banned and then he'd have the whole site to himself. Maybe we could set up a pissing contest with messix, realred and a downed powerline. 1st one to hit the cable wins. smilie_pokal.gif

Hey Troy..... bye1.gif ..... bootyshake.gif ..... wub.gif
messix
PISS OFF PUNK! KMA.gif
messix
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 14 2010, 12:14 PM) *

Hey Rich, looks like we're in the same boat now. That messix dude thinks his stromberg.gif don't stink and won't be happy til we're all banned and then he'd have the whole site to himself. Maybe we could set up a pissing contest with messix, realred and a downed powerline. 1st one to hit the cable wins. smilie_pokal.gif

lets see how you like if one phase gets run thru your neutral happy11.gif sparky sparky!
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 14 2010, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 14 2010, 12:14 PM) *

lets see how you like if one phase gets run thru your neutral happy11.gif sparky sparky!

Ewww.....I feel so ALIVE! w00t2.gif
Root_Werks
rolleyes.gif

Alright, who let Troy in? slap.gif

lol-2.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 14 2010, 01:25 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif

Looks like the work release rules have been relaxed again. Wish the state would warn us when that happens. smash.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 14 2010, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 14 2010, 01:25 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif

Looks like the work release rules have been relaxed again. Wish the state would warn us when that happens. smash.gif

Oh, this thread is going political...

ILBT

Rich
realred914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 14 2010, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:40 AM) *

WTF.gif
Perhaps if you had actually replied to the original question or at least stayed on topic, instead of hijacking this thread with your angry moral accusatory diatribe, you would have made more sense.

You seem bitter, screwy.gif hissyfit.gif Id seek help with that. lol-2.gif

BTW spell check is quite useful, you should try it some time. shades.gif

So if you have some issue with me, you can KMA.gif . Im done feeding the trolls. biggrin.gif

owned.gif

did read your post, and replied. you asked about a moral issue and I gave a perspective on it.

sorry you dont agree, but you dont have to insult folks by asking if they read you post. I didn't acuss anyone of wrong doing, but you sure as hell want to be angry with me. talk about accusing folks. you have accused the seller , you have accused me of not reading you stinking post (although I did read it).

I only gave a different perspective, and you go ripping on my spelling, call me a troll, call me bitter. what a jerk you is!!!!

-- REST OF THIS DELETED BY ADMIN : THREAD LOCKED --
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.