Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby wiring harness question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaney
Ok,
So I am going to attempt to tackle the wiring for my swap. I have the complete wiring harness from the 2002 Suby TS wagon. I want to trim it down to the necessary loom for an engine and tranny swap utilizing the stock ECU. I have the Suby Technical manual on a CDROM with the wiring schematic for an SOHC 2.5 N/A engine and 5 speed trans.

From Tony's thread I found these list of connections:

brain
2 o2 plugs
3 for engine connection
fuel pump relay
main realy
ignitor
obd connector
purge and pressure switching solinoids ( 2 plugs )
connection to relay board

then loose wires are :
power
ground
speed sensor
temp sensor if you go stock

then you need wires from the alt

Is that it?
I am also looking at Small Cars Interface board to help with the OBDII codes.

I am an electrical noob so any and all help is most welcome!

Cheers!
Nate beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
For most modern EFI conversions that is it. I would suggest you strip all the tape and loom first. Then plug the harness to the engine. You can thin out from there. One wire at a time until you're done. You may encounter solder splices in the loom. work these out last.
sawtooth
This pic was pretty helpful for me. Also KEP sells suby conversion wiring plans that contain a blue print for exactly what's needed for the trimmed down harness. It was only like $20 but you have to call, it's not listed on their site. There is also a bunch of good info at the subaru vanagon yahoo group. Mainly in their Files->Wiring section.
Hope that helps.
- Dean
strawman
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Dec 16 2010, 12:19 PM) *

This pic was pretty helpful for me. Also KEP sells suby conversion wiring plans that contain a blue print for exactly what's needed for the trimmed down harness. It was only like $20 but you have to call, it's not listed on their site. There is also a bunch of good info at the subaru vanagon yahoo group. Mainly in their Files->Wiring section.
Hope that helps.
- Dean

Hi Nate --

Your list sounds about right. And I agree with Sawtooth about the KEP blueprint and the Yahoo group. Of course, that is only speculation on my part, because mine isn't running yet. I bought the KEP blueprint when I did my Subaru-to-Vanagon swap about 8 years ago, and I bought another when I started my Suby 914 project. It provides very clear directions on what portions of the 1990-94 Legacy harness connects to what on the Vanagon harness; you merely need to see what is "external" (i.e., not engine harness related) on your 2.5NA Suby harness and connect it to the appropriate items on the 'teener chassis.

Geoff
benalishhero
Looking at the motor the whole motor should "unplug" right at the bell housing left side. Both O2 connections are there too.
Zaney
Thanks for all the help!

So far I laid out both the front harness and bulkhead harness then, labeled every connenction per the tech manual. blink.gif

Then, this week hopefully unwrap the wires and slowly issolate the needed connections beerchug.gif

Wish me luck!

Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.