Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight Battery Poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
What do you guys think?

McMark
I think it's called a personal massager.
agentblr
My dealer did'nt have on in stock dry.gif

SLITS
Thanks Mark ... now I know what they are supposed to be used for. Will it start my /6 and keep the clock accurate?
agentblr
biggrin.gif
underthetire
Excide Orbital.
brp986s
I have an Oddysey 925 in my 3.2. It's small, 21 lb, and has no problem turning my engine, even mounted up front.

Here's another racing battery: http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=4
bfrymire
I am using an Odyssey battery also, and I like it. But, I found that they sulfate really easily. Keep it on a battery tender if it sits for long periods of time.

-- brett
sean_v8_914
best for what? race car? street car? nascar?
campbellcj
I dunno about best, but I've been using the Odyssey PC680 with no probs. I am on my 2nd one but the first one lasted 6-7 years so no complaints there.
carr914
Here's another option I found this morning - Super Lightweight - under 12 lbs

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/racing.html
stugray
brp986s,

"even mounted up front."

You relocated your battery up front?
I was considering doing this. I was worried that the heavy gauge wire that would be required to run to the back would be so heavy that it would counter any benefit of relocating the battery.

Can I get more info?

I have a fuel cell in the spare tire well, so the entire gas tank area is empty.

Stu
Root_Werks
I've been running an Odessey 680 since April, works fine.
Root_Werks
This is a picture from my battery drain thread a while back:

Very small and light battery. I've had good luck with it so far. Would it turn a 914-6 over? Maybe, but probably not very fast. Spins my stock 2.0 over just fine.
J P Stein
The Odyssey 680 weighs 11 lbs & spun over my 10.5:1 2.7 just fine for 5 -6 years......still going. biggrin.gif
mwyatt
Are you guys using the Odyssey 680 in street cars? I'd be concerned about starting the car after multiple short trips. I'd love it if it works...
J P Stein
There are a lot of starts & stops with a 2 driver car at an AX.....no problems.
smg914
Although I have one in my 914, I never considered the Optima a lightweight battery. If anything I would call it a heavyweight battery, weighing in at 38 pounds.
mskala
Odyssey 680 works fine in street car, been using one for years, even in moderately cold weather.
Root_Werks
agree.gif

I've only been running mine since April of this year, but there have been plenty of cold days (some down into the teens even) and the 680 seems to do just fine.

The only downside is the smaller batteries don't have much storage. Storage isn't needed in something like a 914 in my opinion. It only hurts when you have a battery drain like I did a few months back. My L-Jet double relay was sticking on and it drained that little battery in just a couple of hours. The 680 works great, but there isn't much storage capacity there.
campbellcj
I make it a habit to shut-off my kill switch when parking the car long-term. That way any passive drain isn't going to kill the battery, plus it is far less likely a short could cause a fire or I could shock myself while working on it.

Only downside is sometimes I crawl over the cage, attach the steering wheel, belt-in, and then realize I forgot to flip the switch on...
windforfun
QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 14 2010, 07:37 PM) *

Although I have one in my 914, I never considered the Optima a lightweight battery. If anything I would call it a heavyweight battery, weighing in at 38 pounds.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 15 2010, 09:09 AM) *

I make it a habit to shut-off my kill switch when parking the car long-term. That way any passive drain isn't going to kill the battery, plus it is far less likely a short could cause a fire or I could shock myself while working on it.

Only downside is sometimes I crawl over the cage, attach the steering wheel, belt-in, and then realize I forgot to flip the switch on...

I want to add a switch like that on my 914. My Squareback has one just behind the passanger seat. I can just reach back and flip it.
JoeSharp
The Odyssey 680 is not quite enough to start Carerror. By the time she is cranking there is only 9 volts at the CDI box. Going to put a larger battery in that corner of the car.
naro914
I have the Odyssey 925 with the Rennline mount up front. starts up a 3.2 six just fine.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Dec 15 2010, 01:43 PM) *

The Odyssey 680 is not quite enough to start Carerror. By the time she is cranking there is only 9 volts at the CDI box. Going to put a larger battery in that corner of the car.

You really should look at that OEM starter, Joe. biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:20 AM) *

Here's another option I found this morning - Super Lightweight - under 12 lbs

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/racing.html

The Manufacturer of these came by to see me today, the battery was quite impressive - I could pick it up by the Posts with 2 fingers. He was bragging a little too much and this Sucker is expensive ( over $1200 Retail), but Man, it floated on air
campbellcj
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Dec 15 2010, 01:43 PM) *

Something sounds wrong with that. Guys are using these to crank high compression -6 race engines and probably V8's as well. Are you getting full current to the starter?
Eddie914
How about something like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02827185000P?mv=rr

For only $49.99 ... it might be worth a try ... less than 1/2 the price of an Odyssey.

Eddie
carr914
Not enough CCAs
gothspeed
QUOTE(agentblr @ Dec 13 2010, 05:29 PM) *

biggrin.gif

When are these batteries gonna be available? biggrin.gif

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=510
brant
They are available now.
Bring money!
gothspeed
Are there any 'aftermarket' versions of them? Unfortunately I can only afford about 25% of the $2000-ish MSRP for a hi-tech battery ...... I guess an odyssey is still the front runner for me ..... popcorn[1].gif
Woody
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 13 2013, 09:16 PM) *

biggrin.gif

We have one in stock.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 13 2013, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 13 2013, 09:16 PM) *

biggrin.gif

We have one in stock.

What is the current price smile.gif? I was hoping the price might come down a bit, since apparently they have been out a while.
carr914
^ I thought they were about $4k ^

Braille has a 6lb Battery out Now
1stworks

IPB Image

biggrin.gif
gothspeed
Those braille batteries look pretty good smile.gif . looks like a direct competitor to odyssey.
carr914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 14 2013, 10:36 AM) *

Those braille batteries look pretty good smile.gif . looks like a direct competitor to odyssey.

Braille are Lithium Ion & Odyssey are still a Lead Acid (Sealed, Pure Lead & Compact like the Optima)
jimkelly
more power the better ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZzinsfI2Y0
mikesmith
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 14 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Braille are Lithium Ion & Odyssey are still a Lead Acid (Sealed, Pure Lead & Compact like the Optima)

Braille do both. Their SLA/AGMs have comparable cranking current but lower capacity vs. the Odyssey at the same MSRP.
Woody
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Dec 14 2013, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 14 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Braille do both. Their SLA/AGMs have comparable cranking current but lower capacity vs. the Odyssey at the same MSRP.

I'm running a 6 pound braille agm. Its works good. I keep it on a maintainer when the car sits.
Drums66
....Just,try to stay away from acid idea.gif

flag.gif bye1.gif (peace,love) smoke.gif(congratulation's CHARGER'S)
tscrihfield
Odyssey have gone downhill for what I gathered at the PRI show over the weekend. They apparently sold to china recently. mad.gif

I ran a braile battery in the RX7 project I recently finished. Nice quality and extremely light.
gothspeed
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Dec 15 2013, 12:06 PM) *

Odyssey have gone downhill for what I gathered at the PRI show over the weekend. They apparently sold to china recently. mad.gif

I ran a braile battery in the RX7 project I recently finished. Nice quality and extremely light.

Good info ..... smile.gif
yellowporky
I have a braille in my project car and it sits for months between starts and fires right up without being on a charger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.