Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Engine Post Mortem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Nelson's bus motor expired two years ago, but it wasn't until today that I was able to have a look.

We're not using a type 4 for his car, but I was curious.

Dropped Valve Seat. In the last picture on this post, check out how the spark plug electrode survived the destruction:

Series9
Pictures from neighboring cylinders. It's amazing how the little pieces travel around.

Only one cylinder was undamaged.
SLITS
He didn't drive it fast enough or you wouldn't have one good cylinder.
Ferg
Wow! I don't know as much as Wills, but I'd say that's toast barf.gif I still remember when it was running on 3, now I can't believe it ran as well as it did blink.gif

You are right, That spark plug still looks good, how much laugh.gif
sean_v8_914
how big was his amp?
EdwardBlume
Love the carnage... thanks for sharing..
sixnotfour
Type 4 Sale beer.gif
Series9
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 13 2010, 11:34 PM) *

Love the carnage... thanks for sharing..

Yeah. It's fun to see when it's not yours.
r_towle
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 13 2010, 11:30 PM) *

how big was his amp?

agree.gif

He might have considered stopping.

Rich
Series9
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 13 2010, 11:30 PM) *

how big was his amp?

agree.gif

He might have considered stopping.

Rich

This engine has been attempting to commit suicide since Nelson has owned the car.

It gave us several warnings, but we wanted to try to keep it going. When it actually got bad, we were in Moab for Red Rocks. Our options were: try to drive it home or get a 6-hour tow.

It made it back to NM before it finally expired in my driveway. It was a convenient location for the failure.

This bus engine was always thought of as expendable. stromberg.gif
r_towle
That is why I love these cars....and motors.
Even when dying, they will get you home on one cylinder...
What a dedicated piece of engineering.

Rich
MoveQik
QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 13 2010, 07:29 PM) *

Wow! I don't know as much as Wills, but I'd say that's toast barf.gif

Besides being dirty, I can't really tell whats wrong with that motor.
sww914
Thanks for the pics!
You need an engine stand.
Series9
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 14 2010, 01:36 PM) *

Thanks for the pics!
You need an engine stand.

It's currently holding a 3.2.
pete000
Just wipe it down with a Scotch Brite pad and it will be fine...

Madswede
Ahhh. So THAT's why it sounded like a couple spoons in a garbage disposal. Poor ol' bus motor. I guess there ain't much spare parts except metal. sawzall-smiley.gif Nice spark plug, though. I've been lucky with those. Should seen the original factory ones we pulled out of my '97 Jetta with 220,000 miles on 'em! blink.gif <-- Joe Me--> "Yeah, I sorta forgot, I should be changing those, right?"

It was the most polite motor suicide I'd ever heard of. Three times it broke a rocker arm, three times Joe fixed that issue on a different cylinder each time. Then it finally said, "OK, I've got you back to this house, and here is where I will die. I know you have another motor I can see it in the Vanagon."

In the end, I really must salute that ol' bus motor for getting me around as long as it did. For the record, it was purchased while running as a /3 - I have deeply regretted not taking Howard up on his offer to do a PBI since the guy I got it from lived very near him. When I informed the seller that I intended to pick it up and drive it back to NM, he was verrrrry hesitant and kept trying to revise the definition of "running condition". He would only meet me somewhere public to complete the sale, somewhere between where he was and where I was out in Granada Hills at the time ... I shoulda known bs.gif

So I bought an abused motor stuck in a very well preserved chassis. I like to think it didn't so much commit suicide as push itself to the limit until finally - having done it's marathon - collapsed and died of exhaustion. Hats off ...

- Jon
Ferg
Nice eulogy... Now let's have Joe stuff it full of M80s and put it on the Cam smile.gif
JoeSharp
biggrin.gif Look, Mike used cam in the correct context. av-943.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Dec 15 2010, 01:36 AM) *

biggrin.gif Look, Mike used cam in the correct context. av-943.gif

I did blink.gif Cool laugh.gif Hi Joe bye1.gif
JoeSharp
Thanks Mikie, I knew I could say that if I used the right smiley. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.