Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No "Accessory/On Key position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black22
Alright guys, I recently had a smoke out in my car. I replaced all the fried wires (not that bad really), and the car ran great for a couple days.
Now the problem is the key switch has no "on/ acc" position. The car goes from off to turning over on the first click of the key. I'm thinking the ignition switch was compromised during the dash BBQ and finally gave out a few days later. I did find and fix the short that cause the BBQ after replacing wires and prior to firing her up again. What do you guys think? WTF.gif
I love this car....no seriously. I'll post more pics of my freshening up of her when I'm done, which would have been yesterday if I didn't have to tear the dash apart again today!

Please cast your vote.
1) Ignition Switch
2) Coil
3) Starter/Solenoid
4) More wiring issues

Here's a picture of her as I was about to tuck her in for the night... and no those aren't my oil stains on the ground.
Click to view attachment

Thanks in advance
anderssj
Sorry to hear about the car. I think it could be #1 or #4. You may look for a short between the yellow wire at terminal 50 on the starter switch and another wire that's hot with the key in the on position.

Best,

Steve A-
McMark
If you haven't replaced the plastic portion of the ignition switch, it's probably time. Or it's more melted wires.
SLITS
Ignition switch ........ period.
markb
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 14 2010, 11:21 AM) *

agree.gif
r_towle
It may also be the Ignitionbypass thermo coupler.
Some of the earlier cars had this special unit to prevent forest fires in southern climates.
SLITS has them on the shelf for replacement.

It could alos just be the ignition switch, and that is alot cheaper and easier to find than the ignitionbypass thermo coupler.

Rich
Black22

That's what I figured too so I had already ordered one that should arrive today. Thanks for the input guys. Oh and Rich if you could send me the schematic for the thermo bypass majig then I'll replace it at the same time as my blinker fluid and muffler bearings! lol-2.gif
Spoke
Did you test your ignition switch? It's easy to do and would verify if it is the problem. The ohmmeter is your friend.
yeahmag
I'm not sitting in the car, but I don't recall an AUX position... Just on and start. Can anyone verify that?

Spoke
Yep, just ON and START.
SLITS
Sorry, ran out of ignitionbypassthermocouplers .... I only have fluxcapacitors in various gigabit sizes and Blue Flame seat heaters anymore.

Bannanas anyone?
Black22
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 14 2010, 02:37 PM) *

I'm not sitting in the car, but I don't recall an AUX position... Just on and start. Can anyone verify that?

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 14 2010, 04:02 PM) *

Yep, just ON and START.

Sorry guys, that's what I meant. There are three positions, (off/on/start). my car had (off/start), no "on" position.

Well I replaced the ignition switch, it needed it anyways. I have the hot start problem and had not done that yet. That was not the problem.

There is a spade connector on the relay board. Actually there are four right next to each other. Well I have a yellow wire that connects to one of the spades there. Does anyone else have this wire or is this another one of the DAPO wiring jobs? Sorry no pic. Well that wire was disconnected and laying between two of the spades and was apparently completing a circuit to the starter. Once I reseated that connector....problem solved.

Thanks for your input fellas...and for a couple of ya...the jokes. biggrin.gif
914xprs
#1 ignition switch would be my first suspect, thats all it is and an easy fix...wow, mike that car looks fantastic....very nice. if you did not have the problem after you did the wiring, then for sure its the switch...they are a very problematic part of the system. if this has been this way since the rewire, well then case #4 and 1 are both the issue. dont even suspect the coil, he is inocent, he was at my house when you had the barbque!!!!WTF...ha/ha....just being funny......at least i laughed for a second....well, now that sounds wierd too....let me know if you need any help though and good luck...
thanks
terry

QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 14 2010, 01:37 PM) *

That's what I figured too so I had already ordered one that should arrive today. Thanks for the input guys. Oh and Rich if you could send me the schematic for the thermo bypass majig then I'll replace it at the same time as my blinker fluid and muffler bearings! lol-2.gif

SLITS
Big yaller wire is the starter wire. If it was contacting a switched power source, the minute you turned the key the starter would engage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.