Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
When was the Type IV first produced; first production model it was used in; when was it discontinued? Did it have any other rolls such as GPU, mil apps, etc? Here is one that you may already know.........
Click to view attachment
type47
All I know is that it was the engine in a 1972 VW bus and I think made for the VW 411 and 412... Last application I know of is in an 83 Vanagon
Root_Werks
1969 1.6 T4 I believe.
jcd914
VW 411 was introduced in late 1968 as a 1969 Model with the 1.7L type 4 engine.
I have only heard of 1.7L, 1.8L and 2.0L type 4 engines from VW.
1971 or 72 the VW bus got the 1.7L.

Jim

type47
'71 bus had a type I engine; '72 had type IV
Root_Werks
1.7 yes, sorry, don't know where I got 1.6 from?? blink.gif

August 1968 Mass-production of the VW 411 was started.

September 1968 A full prototype of a VW 411 Cabriolet was built by Karmann Coachbuilders of Osnabrück (code name: Model Hamburg; no EA-number is known although a Cabriolet option was styled as EA 237 in April 1967). When this car was presented at Wolfsburg, Volkswagen’s top management showed little interest. It was suggested that Karmann should develop a Cabriolet on the basis of the new two-door version of the Audi 100 instead. Karmann actually presented the car at the 1969 Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA) but it never made it into production.

Karmann also presented Volkswagen with an alternative to the proposed VW 411 Coupé. In this case a full prototype was presented of a 3-door hatchback version of the VW Karmann-Ghia Coupé Type 14. This design, called Type 143 TC, laid the foundation for the later VWdB Karmann-Ghia Type 145 TC.

August 1969 The VW 411(L)E including the Variant (Type 46) was introduced. Although some photographs of this car had been released the previous Summer, it was launched with the new 1,7 litre 59 kW/80 hp fuel-injected engine and the facelifted front end with double headlights which were also given to the two- and four-door VW 411 E/LE saloons.

brant
I don't know what car it came from
but there are super Vee's running 1.6 type 4's
I assumed they were from some car?

(maybe they are de-bored?.... doesn't make sense)

brant
URY914
I thought the '73 was the first year of the TIV in the bus? They changed the body style in '73.
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2010, 03:13 PM) *

I thought those were T1 motors? confused24.gif
URY914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2010, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2010, 03:13 PM) *

I thought those were T1 motors? confused24.gif

They started out as t-1's in FV. Then a new class was made for super vees with t-4s.
agentblr
I always thought the Type 34 Ghia had a T4 motor huh.gif Looks nothing like a T1 ? confused24.gif
URY914
That is a T-III.
Really a T-1 with the fan mounted on the front not on the top.
URY914
T-III.....

Click to view attachment
underthetire
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 14 2010, 03:17 PM) *

I thought the '73 was the first year of the TIV in the bus? They changed the body style in '73.

I know 72 was a T-4, without an access hatch to get to the carbs headbang.gif
And not sure of any body change then, just different bumpers.
Cap'n Krusty
'72 T2s had the 1.7L T4 engine, and the same bumpers and front turn signals as the 68-71 versions. No engine overhead access hatch. Early model tail lights. Solid panel across the back below the engine lid. First year for the engine mounts over the bell housing, giving 5 mounting points instead of 3. '73s had the same engine, but with the hatch, a paper element air cleaner, and a smog pump. The front turn signals were moved up high, and the bumpers became bigger and more simple. There was a large crush section behind the front bumper. No wraparound step on either end. Large tail lights in which the turn signal function was separated from the brake light bulb, and the back-up light was integrated. Busses had carbs through the '74 model year.

The T4 engine, as others have said, came to the market in 1969, installed in the 411, and later, the 412 model. The T4s had a gasoline heater, and nearly all of them sold in the US were equipped with auto transmissions. Just for fun, VW put the battery under the driver's seat and the master cylinder was bolted to the steering column ................... Unlike the T2s, all the US T4s were EFI. The 1.8 with L-jet appeared in '74.

The Cap'n
KELTY360
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 14 2010, 04:05 PM) *

agree.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 14 2010, 08:01 PM) *

Just for fun, VW put the battery under the driver's seat and the master cylinder was bolted to the steering column The Cap'n

I tell my son this is Hanz and Franz the two brothers who have roamsed through many german car manufacturing plants and contributed evil design ideas just to piss off people.

the later creations ,as Hanz and Franz got older, were specialized on the interiors of Audi's and then once they mastered the art of inventing single use fasteners they moved to the VW division to create the completely breakable interior....the best known versions were in the early passats.

Best knows throughout automotive history for the overall manufacturing process of building a mercedes by hanging the fresh air/heater fan in mid air and then building a car around it. Of course the fan has a very short lifespan.

Rich
JFJ914
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2010, 06:13 PM) *

brant

As I recall, they were 1600 cc stationary industrial engines, not car engines.
jcd914
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Dec 14 2010, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2010, 06:13 PM) *

brant

As I recall, they were 1600 cc stationary industrial engines, not car engines.

From Wikipedia:
"Initially the series allowed 1600cc air-cooled engines of either type 3 (as used in the Beetle) or type 4 (as used in the VW-Porsche 914 sports car), however at a late stage VW had a change of heart and decided that the type 4 engines would be a better option. The type 4 engine is without doubt a better engine. However, this motor was never produced in a 1600cc version so VW decided to produce a "special" 1600cc version through their industrial engines division (the 127V unit), with smaller pistons and barrels, which reduced the capacity to 1600cc."

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 14 2010, 08:01 PM) *

Just for fun, VW put the battery under the driver's seat and the master cylinder was bolted to the steering column The Cap'n

I tell my son this is Hanz and Franz the two brothers who have roamsed through many german car manufacturing plants and contributed evil design ideas just to piss off people.

the later creations ,as Hanz and Franz got older, were specialized on the interiors of Audi's and then once they mastered the art of inventing single use fasteners they moved to the VW division to create the completely breakable interior....the best known versions were in the early passats.

Best knows throughout automotive history for the overall manufacturing process of building a mercedes by hanging the fresh air/heater fan in mid air and then building a car around it. Of course the fan has a very short lifespan.

Rich

Audi aficionados know those guys as "Team Doorhandle".

The Cap'n
URY914
OK, I learned something. The '72 bus had a T-4 and the old body style.
Dr Evil
I knew about the busses, now owning one that is a 74 and choosing 74 for exactly the reasons outlined. It is interesting about the 1600 and the early intro in the 411s.
underthetire
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 14 2010, 06:36 PM) *

OK, I learned something. The '72 bus had a T-4 and the old body style.

Different body style? I thought all the bay windows were the same?
larss
As other have written the Type4 engine made its debute during late -68 in the VW411 with twin carb 68HP engine. But beware of the 1st model years ('69) engine case it is of a softer type of metal mix, the case was made stronger to match model year '70 when the D-jet was itroduced.

/Lars S
Jake Raby
The oldest TIV case I have is from 1968 and the case is magnesium instead of aluminum.. It came from a 412 euro model.. They used 200mm flywheels like the type 1..

The 1600 T4 used in the Supervee was based from an industrial engine foundation.

The first Bus to receive the T4 was from 1972 with an engine code of CB.
charliew
My friend has a 411 or 12 setting beside all of his t3's in his pasture. Now if only I could find a good application for my t4's. Beetle pickup, three wheeler or my fg speedster. All my subys keep pushing them in the corner. I think the t4 with a 901 and ms mounted forward from the axle line might be a good three wheeler application, although it is pretty heavy.
Bleyseng
69 411 w/type 4...
realred914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 14 2010, 04:05 PM) *

front turn signals moved about that time too on the bus.

the european ghia had a pancake fan housed type I motor (like the squarebacks did)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.