Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alt light staying on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
the head
the alt light is staying on and I have gone through the troubleshooting article on pelican the alts max output (df and D+ shorted) is 18v the b+ check (DF hooked to 12V) yields 16V. I have replaced the reg with a known good unit. Alt puts out a bit over 13v at 1500 is this a ground issue or do I need to change my alternator out?
r_towle
sounds like the alternator is working.
Check the fuses under the dash (clean and replace them..they get corroded)
Also, clean up all your grounds.
main one at battery to chassis
tranny strap going from top of tranny at rear to trunk floor
Main fusebox ground on inner drivers fender sidewall....way up under the dash.

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
make sure that the light comes on when the key is turned to the "on" position. If not the fuse is bad. Then pull the regulator and if the light goes out there is a problem with the alternator. (unless for some reason the alternator plug is wired backwards or a wire in the harness is shorted.

the charge rate should be 13.6
QUOTE(the head @ Dec 14 2010, 12:51 PM) *

the alt light is staying on and I have gone through the troubleshooting article on pelican the alts max output (df and D+ shorted) is 18v the b+ check (DF hooked to 12V) yields 16V. I have replaced the reg with a known good unit. Alt puts out a bit over 13v at 1500 is this a ground issue or do I need to change my alternator out?

the head
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 11:59 AM) *

sounds like the alternator is working.
Check the fuses under the dash (clean and replace them..they get corroded)
Also, clean up all your grounds.
main one at battery to chassis
tranny strap going from top of tranny at rear to trunk floor
Main fusebox ground on inner drivers fender sidewall....way up under the dash.

Rich

Which fuses do I need to clean and replace?
the head
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 14 2010, 12:06 PM) *

make sure that the light comes on when the key is turned to the "on" position. If not the fuse is bad. Then pull the regulator and if the light goes out there is a problem with the alternator. (unless for some reason the alternator plug is wired backwards or a wire in the harness is shorted.

the charge rate should be 13.6

light comes on when key is on, dims a little when the car starts up. I will pull the reg plug and see if it goes out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.