Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some expertise here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steeks
I have a 72 1.7. Has anyone ever seen or heard or the TDC mark on the impeller being marked as a "0"? About 2" after the timing mark, there is a "0" that comes into view through the V shaped notch in the impeller shroud. Please help. I think I set my valves to the timing marks!!
steeks
Anybody??
SLITS
I have not seen a 0 on the flywheel.

I have seen a 0 on the cooling impeller that marks TDC.

As long as it's TDC, who cares ... plus I use the opposite valve method so I don't care about marks or which cylinder or TDC.

Metal stamps are cheap at HF.
steeks
Sorry, I meant the cooling impeller, So your saying that the "0" on my impeller IS indicating TDC? I have edited my original post accordingly.
SLITS
Yaaassssss ..

If you have a 1.7/2.0 engine your timing mark will be 55.5 mm to the right of the 0 mark as you face the impeller.

A 1.8 timing mark will be 15.5 mm as above.
steeks
Thanks man, Thats what I thought. Just wanted a second opinion before I tear into it tomorrow to readjust my valves. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
r_towle
There are four lobes on the camshaft and 8 valves.
When one is open on one side, the other is closed and ready to be adjusted.
In the Classic thread forum on this site is the Cap'n Crusty version of how to do it, take some time to read that...its alot easier than worrying about TDC.

Rich
steeks
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 06:14 PM) *

In the Classic thread forum on this site is the Cap'n Crusty version of how to do it, take some time to read that...its alot easier than worrying about TDC.

Rich

Yeah, I'm firmilliar with that method, I've just been adjusting valves using TDC on motorcycles so long, I've just grown more comfortable with it. Thanks.
r_towle
Should be a mark on the flywheel that you can see from underneath at the viewing portal on the bellhousing that is 180 degrees from the TDC.....so it does save you one "get up and set TDC move" well, actually two of those moves.

Rich
steeks
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 06:20 PM) *

Should be a mark on the flywheel that you can see from underneath at the viewing portal on the bellhousing that is 180 degrees from the TDC.....so it does save you one "get up and set TDC move" well, actually two of those moves.

Rich

I actually made a mark on the flywheel to save me both trips to the engine compartment, unfortunatley, I was using the "timing marks" as TDC. So ' I'm gonna have to remark it...
Joe Owensby
There is already a mark on the flywheel. I painted mine with a little white paint to make it a little easier to see when looking through the hole in the bottom of the transmission. Turn the motor over until the mark is at the hole. This is the position to adjust both valves on the cylinder 2 or 4. The first time you do this, you can go to the top side of the motor and using a screwdriver pry the top piece of engine tin back a little so that you can place a small dot of paint at the top of the flywheel, 180 degrees away from the original mark. Once this is done, I just put the car into 5th gear and rotate the engine by pushing on the tires until one of the marks is at the hole on the bottom. Then, look to see which pair of valves are closed, either 2 or 4. Adjust both of these. Turn the engine over with the tires until the second mark comes up. If you do this by pushing the tires in the same direction as the car would be going forward, the next position will be the next cylinder on the firing order. Repeat this 4 times and you are done. For me, this is a lot simpler than trying to see which valves are open and closed, etc. and then trying to remember which ones I had adjusted. The other way may be better for some, but not for me. JoeO
steeks
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Dec 14 2010, 08:05 PM) *

There is already a mark on the flywheel. I painted mine with a little white paint to make it a little easier to see when looking through the hole in the bottom of the transmission. Turn the motor over until the mark is at the hole. This is the position to adjust both valves on the cylinder 2 or 4. The first time you do this, you can go to the top side of the motor and using a screwdriver pry the top piece of engine tin back a little so that you can place a small dot of paint at the top of the flywheel, 180 degrees away from the original mark. Once this is done, I just put the car into 5th gear and rotate the engine by pushing on the tires until one of the marks is at the hole on the bottom. Then, look to see which pair of valves are closed, either 2 or 4. Adjust both of these. Turn the engine over with the tires until the second mark comes up. If you do this by pushing the tires in the same direction as the car would be going forward, the next position will be the next cylinder on the firing order. Repeat this 4 times and you are done. For me, this is a lot simpler than trying to see which valves are open and closed, etc. and then trying to remember which ones I had adjusted. The other way may be better for some, but not for me. JoeO

Yes, I agree, I feel more comfortable with using TDC to adjust the valves, How I marked the flywheel is I set the TDC mark in the impeller inspection hole to TDC for cylinder #1, then crawled under the car to make my own mark on the flywheel, (although I marked it in the wrong place using the timing notch instead of the TDC "0" on the impeller), then spun the engine alternating the pre-existing mark on the flywheel and my homemade mark accordingly. So, today I just need to make a new homemade mark on the flywheel and re-adjust cylinders #1 & #3, since I adjusted #2 & #4 using the factory notch in the flywheel, They should be good. Thanks.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(steeks @ Dec 14 2010, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 06:14 PM) *

Rich

Yeah, I'm firmilliar with that method, I've just been adjusting valves using TDC on motorcycles so long, I've just grown more comfortable with it. Thanks.

"Comfortable" enabled you to do the job twice. Both times the hard way. Personally, that wouldn't work for me .................

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.