Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone running DP in SCCA Solo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
I sold my old FP road racecar this spring and have been running my 70 914 in DSP in SCCA Solo. I have done well, but we are a small pond. For the first time I tried running in our divisonal SCCA solo series this year. I did ok, but got my ass handed to me a few times. While my car is setup well for DSP I am not willing to take it all the way to the rules max since I also enjoy driving it on the street.

Sooooooo........... I have found a what I think will be my next dedicated AX car. A good 71 roller with fiberglass GT flares installed. I have been looking at the different classes and think that DP might be a good class to run in. Anyone running in DP? What's your thoughts? I don't want to run a /6 so a it must be a /4 class.
J P Stein
I have a couple friends that do......my friends have Miatas. One took 2nd at the Nats, the other took 3rd. The 1.8L beat the 1.6L but is is usually the other way around. A hand grenade 1.7 might do OK locally.....but not in my region.

*On a good day*, Brit beat them in the shitbox.....but not by much. In most cases it was close enough the whoever had the best night's sleep was the winner.
GaroldShaffer
Thanks JP. If I am reading the DP rules correctly I can use a 2.0L engine I dont have to stay with a 1.7, yes?
J P Stein
My buddy with the 1.8L said (wistfully) after getting blowed off: "Well, looks like the lightweight 1.6L is the way to go." I don't know much about the specifics of DP, but IIRC the motor size is limited to 2.0L......& with the 2.0L comes more weight.You can get the rule book online at SCCA.com.

I found my book. 2.0 is legal.....but it's an old 2007 book
2.0 x .95=1900+250
1.7 X .95=1615 + 250.....dunno the exact size of the 1.7L T-4
1.6 X 1.1=1760......the break off point is 1667 ccs
BMXerror
I'm SLOWLY prepping a DP car. However, I don't really have the budget to be competitive yet, so I haven't kept up with the rules as well as I should. I think the weight penalties have gotten a little more harsh since '07. I don't know 2011 rules, but I believe off the top of my head that it was Displacement(CCs) X .95 + 250 in 2010. A bit more harsh as that puts you at 2150 with a 2 liter motor. However, with a 1.7 you're at 1865. But again, I'm not sure on that formula. Look it up on SCCA's website.
I think it'd be a bitchin class for a 914, though, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. However, those Miatas are well prepped and will be tough to beat. Keep us posted.
Mark D.
P.S. I've been looking for a flared roller to swap parts to. Damn you for stealing mine. biggrin.gif j/k

:edit: oops. Misread JP's post. Same formula.
GaroldShaffer
Don't feel alone, it will be a slow build for me also. Here's the roller. I am going to pick it up on sunday as long as we don't get a ton more snow. It will be fun, hopefully my 9yr old son will want to help me with it as he is just now starting to get into cars.
grantsfo
Im all for it but well built DP miata is going to be tough to beat. I think wicked fast DP car would be a MX5 with 2.0. Those cars have far superior suspension over earlier years and you could easily get one to DP weight. They also handle humongous tires Those 2.o liter engines can easily pump out over 200 HP in DP tune. And they are torque monsters.

If I wasnt building XP Boxster I would seriously consider MX5 turbo XP class car. Spent a good deal of time in one and they are impressive little cars.
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif Picked up the car today. I will post better pictures tomorrow. Overall not to bad of shape, some rust issues to deal with, but this car should work out for my plan.
BMXerror
Looks like a great start! piratenanner.gif Mind me asking what your general plan is? Engine size, mainly. If we could keep in touch and trade notes, it'd be awesome.
Mark D.
GeorgeRud
Good luck with the project! I give you credit with getting the car home as I had heard that the lake effect snow was pretty bad in Indiana.

I used to auto-x my 914 2.0 weekly in the 70s with good results, but SCCA has really turned things around to where you really have to read the rules to the nth degree.

Is Richard Gonzales still active in the auto-x world around you? I think he would be a good source of info as I remember he was quite competative.

jjackson
Sounds like a fantastic idea!Good luck with the project.The top DP machines are really impressive, but a good 914 is always impressive.J
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Dec 20 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Looks like a great start! piratenanner.gif Mind me asking what your general plan is? Engine size, mainly. If we could keep in touch and trade notes, it'd be awesome.
Mark D.

Mark I plan to run a 2.0L . Of course we will keep in touch. Right now I am reading the DP rules so plans are a little fluid at the moment.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 20 2010, 11:52 AM) *

Good luck with the project! I give you credit with getting the car home as I had heard that the lake effect snow was pretty bad in Indiana.

I used to auto-x my 914 2.0 weekly in the 70s with good results, but SCCA has really turned things around to where you really have to read the rules to the nth degree.

Is Richard Gonzales still active in the auto-x world around you? I think he would be a good source of info as I remember he was quite competative.

Thanks. Actually there was no snow yesterday so the trip went well. Yep I know Richard (aka Ricardo). He sold his Cayman this fall and bought a 914/6. He currently has it all torn apart and getting ready for next season. I assume you know Jim McKamey & Joe Batista also.
grantsfo
Cool! This will be fun to watch! I found talking with SCCA rules guys during build via email is great as you gain insight on rules and intent. Also helps when you have email from guys in charge of rules saying your application is good just in case you get somone going sideways on you with a protest. Although you will find most prepared classes arent going to complain unless you are underweight or your engine mods are blatantly illegal. To be frank I dont see anyone challenging displacement in these classes and after seeing some cars I just wonder if there isnt some mild rule bending going on related to stated displacement on some cars. I'm thinking there are some stroked motors that are unreported.
Joe Ricard
Has anyone read the latest fastrack SSM is no longer limited to family line motors. Which equals WRX STI in a street legal 914. http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/11/...ck-jan-solo.pdf

Me thinks this is going to break wide open with 914's

Figures the SEB was waiting for me to sell both my cars.
J P Stein
Do they still have the 275/2000lb rule?
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 23 2010, 05:20 AM) *

Has anyone read the latest fastrack SSM is no longer limited to family line motors. Which equals WRX STI in a street legal 914. http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/11/...ck-jan-solo.pdf

Me thinks this is going to break wide open with 914's

Figures the SEB was waiting for me to sell both my cars.

Very cool! I'd love to see a blown 914 in that class. But I suspect we wont see many 914's flocking to this class.
Joe Ricard
The buyer of my yellow car is fully aware of the rule change. He has the same enigne that Britt does sitting in his garage. He was going to put it inthe race car but now I think he is goingto change his mind.
Yes the 275 tire rule applies. Which isa good thing if weight is a concern.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.