Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a big problem- Case issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I recently tore apart my engine. I found that a part of the case was missing. Kind of hard to describe so I took a picture. It is on the passenger side below the main bearing that lies between cylinders 3/4. I did not find a hunk of metal in the oil, I think that the issue may have been there on the last rebuild.

Is this going to cause me any issues. Is there anything that I should do to fix it? I should mention that I am cheap and don't want to spend any money.
Dr Evil
Pic? Man, you sure have some luck...
tornik550
I think its 10% luck, 90% stupidity. For once, I actually think that I was not responsible for this issue. I think the PO brains took care of this.
messix
looks bad to me.

the area missing would give support to the main bearing boss. with out the area joining in the bearing web it will be a very weak and prone to distortion.
Dr Evil
Reminds me of a patient I saw today:

Me - Do you have high cholesterol or high blood pressure?

Him - Nope.

Me - When was the last time you were checked?

Him - Never been checked. confused24.gif

If you do not look for problems, then do they really exist? chairfall.gif
tornik550
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 14 2010, 10:01 PM) *

Reminds me of a patient I saw today:

Me - Do you have high cholesterol or high blood pressure?

Him - Nope.

Me - When was the last time you were checked?

Him - Never been checked. confused24.gif

If you do not look for problems, then do they really exist? chairfall.gif

Haaa
I saw a similar type patient last week. The guy had never been to a doc, until two weeks ago. Last weeks visit was a follow up appt. He was pissed off at me, he said "I hate doctors, I was perfectly fine until I came to see you, now after seeing you I have cancer". He was there because he couldn't urinate. I had checked the dudes PSA and it was 47.9- not good.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. Think it is something that needs addressed or just leave it?
messix
on looking closer.... thats at the lower cam boss. might not be such a big deal, but i'd locate another case and go from there.

if the p/o let that go by what else did they not bother with?
tornik550
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 14 2010, 10:14 PM) *

on looking closer.... thats at the lower cam boss. might not be such a big deal, but i'd locate another case and go from there.

Is it a problem to mismatch case halves assuming both were from the same displacement engine? This is a 1.8l case. I think that I might have an extra case but one of the sides was bad. Its too cold to search for it to see which side was bad. Whats the going rate for good cases?
r_towle
Is that the boss that holds the sump bolt in place...
The one that cracks off when over tightened?

Rich
bdstone914
Nope you cant mix and match halves, They are matched. Going rate is $50 for an engine case, I have MANY im willing to part with. If you are interested send me a PM. -Bruce
messix
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 14 2010, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 14 2010, 10:14 PM) *

Is it a problem to mismatch case halves assuming both were from the same displacement engine? This is a 1.8l case. I think that I might have an extra case but one of the sides was bad. Its too cold to search for it to see which side was bad. Whats the going rate for good cases?

i don't think i would mix case halfs.

i would expect some extensive machining to get things in spec and then you would have to deal with over sized bearings and shiming the cylinders alot to get the compression right.

just find a donor engine from some one close and go from there.
tornik550
Just found a reference to this problem on tunacan.net. They say it screws up the cam bearings.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/case.htm
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Rich

Why the question mark Rich?....That's exactly what go on.
Bet it was always leaking from the sump plate.

Case is pooched get another. The fix will cost more than the case.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 14 2010, 10:45 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Rich

Why the question mark Rich?....That's exactly what go on.
Bet it was always leaking from the sump plate.

? was cause I could not tell with the pic so close...pull it back and it would make sense...just seemed like it may be, but hard for me to process that pic for some reason...

Jake said he fixed these frequently...but I would assume you need the piece...which is MIA.

I would get another case. the bearing seats dont look right either.

Rich
McMark

Absolutely. You'll be $$$$$$$$ ahead with a new case.
sww914
These cases are cheap and plentiful. Unless there's some compelling reason not to, throw that one on a bonfire and you'll save some money. It's cost more to do it twice.
Cap'n Krusty
While cases may be cheap and plentiful, GOOD cases may not be all that easy to come by. A year or so ago I went through 5 to get 2, and I'm out of good ones. I have to put together another one in the next few months, and I've informed the nice lady she's gonna have to bring me as many cases as it takes to get one that I'll be able to use.

The Cap'n
Jake Raby
That's what we refer to as the syndrome.... Happens all the time from medieval mechanics with the precision of a brick..

It can be repaired, cost about 250 bucks to do it right.

Good cases are hard to find, I now charge 1k for an inspected case if the customer's core is bad... We build from the customers supplied core primarily. Cores have become priceless.

Most people don't know what to look at when inspecting a case.
tornik550
How bout some JB Weld? Just kidding.

What should I look for in a new case?
sean_v8_914
this kinda relates to the deep sump thread since this is where the OEM sump plate connects to.
Jake: what do you think about deep sumps? (not as a solution to "the syndrome") the ones I have used dont use this bolt to hold on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.