Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first oil change/best oil type
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I just got my first Porsche last week (73 914 1.7). I want to go ahead and change the oil to be on the safe side. I'm looking for some recomendations for oil types/brands. should I use "racing oil" with zddp? any info would be help full.

Thanks,

A new 914 owner
'73-914kid
Up to this point, I think the best oil for our motors is Brad Penn 20W-50 racing oil. It has the adequate ZDDP, and wear characteristics for air cooled engines. Others know more that I do, but I've always used Brad Penn per Jake Raby's suggestion.
914itis
welcome.png welcome.png

where you switch the attention from your wife to your teener.

I am on my first oil change as well and I used the brad Penn also suggested by the same member mentioned
markb
welcome.png

I agree with the Brad Penn 20W-50
ezbngreen914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 15 2010, 08:36 PM) *

Up to this point, I think the best oil for our motors is Brad Penn 20W-50 racing oil. It has the adequate ZDDP, and wear characteristics for air cooled engines. Others know more that I do, but I've always used Brad Penn per Jake Raby's suggestion.

Thanks for the info. I actually went to the same small town highschool as Jake Raby. Maybe he'll give me a discount on an engine (hopefully a long time from now).
ezbngreen914
Thanks for the info everyone. I've been daydreaming in magazines and porsche books for the last 17 years about getting a 914 and now that I've got one I realize I should have read a couple of technical manuals while I was at it. Its good to know that there are people further down the path that are willing to help.
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
john grier
Make sure the oil is green!
KELTY360
welcome.png

You're in for a fun ride!
realred914
brad peen racing oil has enough zddp in it, you can also find other oils with high amounts of zinc, or ass you own using stp red bottle four cylinder oil treatment. add this stp to your regular oil and the zddp level will be restored. either way be sure your motor gets plenty of zddp, not found in the newer oils.

amazing photo, is that some special process to get the look?
Drums66
[quote name='realred914' date='Dec 17 2010, 09:12 AM' post='1406635'

[/quote]

.....Photo shop maybe ?? flag.gif
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 17 2010, 11:12 AM) *

brad peen racing oil has enough zddp in it, you can also find other oils with high amounts of zinc, or ass you own using stp red bottle four cylinder oil treatment. add this stp to your regular oil and the zddp level will be restored. either way be sure your motor gets plenty of zddp, not found in the newer oils.

Thanks for the info. and thanks on the photo as well. Its a process called HDR (High Dynamic Resolution) I take 3 photos from a tripod (one under exposed, one normally exposed, and one over exposed) and I have a computer program (photomax) that combines the 3 photos. There are some real cool examples on flickr or google HDR photos for what I'm sure will be a better explanation. Heres another one of my 914.
913B
Where do you get them ? Local FLAPS ? I found them for $7/qt at Amazon. Is that about the right price ?

Sorry about the slight hi-jack. 5 qts enough ?

Oh and Welcome to the Club !!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Dec 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *

Where do you get them ? Local FLAPS ? I found them for $7/qt at Amazon. Is that about the right price ?

You can get Brad Penn through Original Customs. McMark on the site here...
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 15 2010, 10:02 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I actually went to the same small town highschool as Jake Raby. Maybe he'll give me a discount on an engine (hopefully a long time from now).

Really? Do I know you? Small world!

Stick with Brad Penn...

I have a tremendous amount of people wanting to buy our oil, thats probably still a year away from retail sales.. All our engines are and have been running it with great success.
914itis
I was able to locate a dealer not to far from me. you can try to do the same. here is the link http://locator.bradpennracing.com/Default.aspx

it was about $72 a case
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 17 2010, 10:07 PM) *

Stick with Brad Penn...

I have a tremendous amount of people wanting to buy our oil, thats probably still a year away from retail sales.. All our engines are and have been running it with great success.

Hey Jake, You probably don't know me (Ben Slack), I was 3 or 4 years younger. I was actually back in town over the holidays at a get together proudly talking about how I had finally gotten the 914 that I have wanted since I was 15 and of course your name came up right away from some old class mates of yours (Alan R. and Jesse S.). I also had to get the fuel pump replace while in W.C. and Bart at Roadspeed Garage brought up your name in high regard. I have also had the honor of driving John E's (also a local) 912e with one of your engines. I'm having a great time getting to know my 1.7 stock motor but at some point I'm sure I'll want to get in line for a Raby Motor (2270 SR looks pretty awesome!). Thanks for all you do for these cars. PS. you should see if Xavier Roberts will let you build a test track in his new front yard smile.gif. Hope all is well.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 17 2010, 10:26 PM) *

I was able to locate a dealer not to far from me. you can try to do the same. here is the link http://locator.bradpennracing.com/Default.aspx

it was about $72 a case

Thanks, Looks like there are two in Atlanta. I'm headed that way tomorrow so maybe I'm in luck.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Stick with Brad Penn...

Hey Jake, You probably don't know me (Ben Slack), I was 3 or 4 years younger. I was actually back in town over the holidays at a get together proudly talking about how I had finally gotten the 914 that I have wanted since I was 15 and of course your name came up right away from some old class mates of yours (Alan R. and Jesse S.). I also had to get the fuel pump replace while in W.C. and Bart at Roadspeed Garage brought up your name in high regard. I have also had the honor of driving John E's (also a local) 912e with one of your engines. I'm having a great time getting to know my 1.7 stock motor but at some point I'm sure I'll want to get in line for a Raby Motor (2270 SR looks pretty awesome!). Thanks for all you do for these cars. PS. you should see if Xavier Roberts will let you build a test track in his new front yard smile.gif. Hope all is well.

WOW.. Now that is odd!! If that Jesse S is Jesse Steele, I got my second VW from his Dad, a 65 Single Cab over 25 years ago! John's 912E runs really well, especially to be an older 2056 combo.

Next time you are back hom you are welcome to drop by the compound.. Just give me a call a couple of days in advance..
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 18 2010, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Stick with Brad Penn...

WOW.. Now that is odd!! If that Jesse S is Jesse Steele, I got my second VW from his Dad, a 65 Single Cab over 25 years ago! John's 912E runs really well, especially to be an older 2056 combo.

Next time you are back hom you are welcome to drop by the compound.. Just give me a call a couple of days in advance..

Thats the one. Pretty Cool. I think I remember that single cab from my childhood. I would love to stop by sometime. I'll be sure to give you plenty of notice so we can pick a good time. Why do I have the feeling that this is a slippery slope with lots of HP at the bottom : ). I hope you and yours have a Happy Holidays.
bembry
I got a case (12) of 20W-50 Brad Penn from The Oil Warehouse. With shipping, was like a bit over $60. One of the better prices I found online, and it showed up quickly via UPS.

http://theoilwarehouse.com/page/1hu7y/Home.html

You wantr the green Stuff--it actually says that on the bottle. It is the Racing Oil.
Brent

Jake Raby
Read this, it includes the differences in the two vastly different Brad Penn oils.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Oil_Concern.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.