Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Dellorto Carbs....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
Just drove my 2.0 with 36 Dellorto carbs. Runs awesome, although the Dellortos "Whistle"!

Stops at about 3K RPM or so..... sounds almost exactly like a loose power steering belt.

"SWWWEEEEE!!!".....BBrraaaaaapppp!

A friend told me Dellortos can tend to do this...... and there is a "fix" out there that serves by plugging/interrupting a hole? or something that causes the swqeeling.

Anyone have any similar experiences? This sound is already driving me CRAZY and it's only the first 60 miles.

.... but motor runs well, so I am not complaining.... yet.

Cheers!

Robert
Mark Henry
Get these gaskets from CB performance.
IPB Image
ConeDodger
Unless they had them remanufactured I believe I got the last set of Dellorto whistle stop gaskets, THREE YEARS AGO. Don't fret though, you can always mix up a batch of epoxy and fill the holes. In retrospect, I kind of liked the whistle. People kept asking me if it was the BOV for the turbo... evilgrin.gif

If you look at the picture of the gaskets in Mark's post you will see 4 protrusions coming out of the tops of the gasket top-side. In their native installation on Fiats, the Dellortos had a metal tab that stuck up out of the manifold to 'locate' them properly. When you accelerate, the intake air gets interrupted in it's venturi effect path by that locate tab female machining. That is the cause of your whistle. It isn't a 'tendency' as your friend put it, it WILL happen unless you fill those tabs with epoxy and sand them smooth or, less likely, find those whistle stop gaskets.
BuddyV
OOH!..... sounds like a solution.

Please explain what they do (the gaskets).

WOW! Quick reply.. love this site!
Mark Henry
If can't find the gaskets this is the part that whistles, some guys fill it with silicone.
IPB Image
BuddyV
Epoxy fill and sand sounds like a plan... although I think I will place a WTB post.... you never know what people have lying around.

wish me luck.

HATE THE WHISTLE!
headbang.gif
bandjoey
I found the answer on either Samba or CB's site...and filled in the gap shown with jbweld. No more whistle.
ONTHEGRIND
Ruffstuff.com has good epoxy
BuddyV
I like the RTV silicone suggestion. I will be trying this weekend.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Cheers!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(treborzerimar @ Dec 15 2010, 11:55 PM) *

Cheers!

NO!!!

Where is McMark when you need him. He has a picture of a silicone 'attempt' at this problem. It expands as it cures. You can't sand it. Epoxy and sandpaper.
Valy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 16 2010, 12:29 AM) *

QUOTE(treborzerimar @ Dec 15 2010, 11:55 PM) *

Cheers!

NO!!!

Where is McMark when you need him. He has a picture of a silicone 'attempt' at this problem. It expands as it cures. You can't sand it. Epoxy and sandpaper.

agree.gif
and make sure that the epoxy plug won't come loose. Maybe you should use a dremel to enlarge the hole a bit and make sure the epoxy can't be sucked into the engine and do a lot of damage.
Ask me how I know.
ONTHEGRIND
Like i said use the a/b marine epoxy it is very Easy to use and with a wet finger you almost dont need to sand. We have used this on many cylinder head intake Ports on engines in excess of 1500 hp it is only aboutn20 dollars a stick and lasts forever if you keep it in the fridge. Www. Ruffstuff.com they are in sacramento ca
nathansnathan
I've never noticed the whistle people talk about in my drla 40's, except when I was running the thin paper gaskets that come in gasket sets. With the thicker CB performance gaskets - not the whistle stop ones - the whistle stopped. My whistle was just a leak at the intake seal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.