Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: SOHC 2.5 Subaru Head Gasket Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I'm 95% sure my 2003 Legacy has the dreaded external HG leak. Both sides appear to be leaking oil slightly and the rear of the drivers side appears to be leaking coolant. I plan on trying the Subaru "Seal Conditioner", but have little faith...

Anyone done one of these before? If I've built a Type IV can I do this?

I'd probably yank the motor and just do both to get it over with.
sixnotfour
I'd probably yank the motor and just do both to get it over with.

common problem
Brett W
Yep, pull it out and get the good head gaskets and replace both. Problem should be solved. Of course you could swap it into your teener also.
benalishhero
I've done plenty of HG jobs on various Subarus. I've only had to true the heads once(extremely over heated). Usually its just gasket failure. Unless the belt breaks. Then it's machine time(valve work) and a valve adjustment. Personally I think the HB torque values Subarus uses are too light.

Overall, it's an easy job. I always pull the motor. It's easier to remove the cam sprockets(especially DOHC), plus you can change the front and rear oil seals with ease. Make sure you use the factory sealant for the appropiate cam caps(DOHC).

The 2003 is a 2.5 SOHC?
yeahmag
To the best of my knowledge it's a SOHC. So I guess I'll need the following:

* front and rear oil seals
* head gaskets
* valve cover gaskets
* intake manifold seals
* exhaust gaskets
* cam belt
* water pump

...and I'll have to buy or rent an engine crane. Ugh...

I'm still planning on talking to Subaru NA as they of a WP99 service bulletin that warranty's the HG for 8 years/100,000 miles, but my car my not be eligible as it's through MY 2002.

benalishhero
Should be a SOHC. Last of the DOHC N/A were '99 IIRC.

Add to your list:

Timing belt rollers and tensioner piston.(TB kit)
Brett W
get another friend and just lift the engine out. Its not hard at all. Me and Stock93 lifted his 2.2 out of an Legacy in the PAP. Kinda awkward but not bad.
yeahmag
Great idea on lifting it out!

I've opened a case with SOA and am taking the car to be "diagnosed" tomorrow at my local Subaru dealer. It's a $96 gamble, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to have them fix it...

Wish me luck!
tradisrad
i've got a subie and dealt with the head gaskets albeit my is a DOHC '99. When you do the job be sure to use subaru parts. I replaced mine with aftermarket parts and after a few months the valve cover gasket and grommets started to leak oil; they were cracked and hard. I fear that the head gaskets will have the same fate...
I had the engine out in about 6 hours; I took it slow and worked alone until the engine pull. I used a cherry picker and an engine stand. While you are in there it would be wise to repalce other parts like the timing belt, water pump etc...
good luck
Dr Evil
I did both on the 98 Forester I have. Pulled the engine and did it. Not worth it to try and do it in the car.
charliew
If you haven't changed the ac and ps and alt belt you might as well do that too. And make sure the motor mounts aren't oily. Did you say cam seals also? Single ohc you may not need to remove the cams to get to the head bolts, I don't remember. Be sure and check the heads for a straight surface. If it's got over 90k I would do a valve job on the heads while they are off. Make sure the coolant crossover is not leaking also. You will also need a sealant for the head bolts. Also if there is oil behind the flywheel check the cover on the back of the case under the flywheel on the pass side, the plastic ones crack. You will probably need a motorcycle impact tool to get the screws loose without ruining the crosses in the screws. We use copper spray on the head gaskets. Don't forget new spark plugs. Use a torque wrench, the aluminum is really easy to strip. I wouldn't use the cheap timing belt and idlers and tensioner kit get the real suby parts. Thers a lady on nasioc that gives a nasioc discount.
VaccaRabite
Another thing to keep in mind,
Subaru now makes a three ply head gasket that is much less prone to leaking then the old single ply gasket. They also have an additive to be added to coolant that is supposed to stop leaks.

You are on the right path by doing belts, tensioners, waterpump, etc. New plugs and wires is usually a very good idea when you have everything apart. My wires would start misfiring like clockwork at 30K miles (so, once a year for me, may last you longer).

Its a big job that I wish I could have done to my car. But I don't have time to spend a week pulling my car apart and fixing it, so I sold the car instead of paying someone else to do it.

Zach
yeahmag
Here's the drama so far:

* SOA was made aware of my problems and that I do 90% of my own service, but that the car is meticulously maintained.
* SOA sent me to my local Subaru dealership to get an official diagnosis.
* After some back and forth SOA calls me and tells me that since this would be a good faith gesture and I don't have a rapport with my dealer and only one Subaru that he couldn't help.
* I promptly loose it... How is the relevant to a faulty HG? Why would he send me to the dealer knowing I rarely if ever use them?
* Dealer waves the $98 diagnostic fee.
* We work out me sending my maintenance history and any supporting documents.

This is the *very* abbreviated version of what's been going on, but what is most troubling is the dealer tells me something and "Ryan" of SOA tells me something else. Some very disturbing things were disclosed to me by the dealer. I should know more tomorrow, but it is very unlikely I'd buy a Subaru again.
yeahmag
Update:

SOA has offered reimburse me $500 to have a dealer do it. Now I need to get a quote. Not much, but its something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.