Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any body doing this ? 914 w/Hayabusa motor . ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-SUZUKI-H...ht_10790wt_1167

Just wondering would this engine be viable for a conversion .

It makes good power . small , water cooled . f. i . wet sump .

Is it as simple as toss the type 4 . clutch adapter kit and wiring

or is it much more complex .

The radiator is Tiny . smaller then most oil coolers ? so It would not need front mounted huge heat exchanger ?

for some reason it runs right next to the header pipe ???

Please give me your thought's .

pro's

con's

cost s

ability to go back to type 4 motor if desired ?

hey o .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbBfDOPeZ2g

flag.gif Much respect and thank you to BOB FELLER > for being a positive role model flag.gif

underthetire
Plenty of busa conversions, havn't seen one in a 914. Initial torque might be an issue.

See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJ_Idds3Ts...feature=related
GeorgeRud
Naw, save these motors for conversions into Smart Cars and old school Minis, they really make those cars fly!

I wondor how one would work in a LoCost (Lotus 7 homemade replica).
SirAndy
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 16 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Do a search ... biggrin.gif

It's been discussed before. In length ... shades.gif
RJMII
I've been eyeballing these units for sometime now. My plan is to build a sandrail (the Baracuda by the EDGE) with a 'busa power plant.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Rear dif with reverse. smile.gif

new rear drive system can be done with or with out
reverse but also includes the following features:

Chain drive with rear sprocket as large as 72 tooth
Inboard or out board brakes
Limited slip differential or solid axle
930 CV output
Adjust chain tension on chain roller needed

(http://www.sandbullet.com)
RJMII
my $.02 would be: just do it. stop hashing it out and do it. If you do it right, you will prove one way or the other and you will know what broke in the process. The mythbusters would be proud.
Porcharu
I want the V8 version like the one Radical sells for $$$$. Someone in the midwest used to make the crankcase assembly's that you bolted 2 sets of cylinders and heads onto.
2.6 liters of screaming little V8 would be a blast in a 914.
Mike Bellis
www.h1v8.com
aktion035.gif
michaelt55
too rich for my blood...as said on commercials..I could of had a V8...
thelogo
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Dec 16 2010, 02:43 PM) *

too rich for my blood...as said on commercials..I could of had a V8...

I agree that h1 v8 / ocho is too much $

the 4 cyc busa on ebay is pushing it at . 4.5 k

I think i'll start letting budget navigate for a moment

and see what alternative motors that yields / ?

but for 27 k i'd have to go / Ford COsworth Subaru engine ?

linky :

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewCa...sp?idCategory=2

and anybody know if you could get 400 horse from a por.6

naturally asp . that would rev to 10 k .

you'd be thinking expensive motor every time you blew it up !!!

I assume busa engine hits 15 k easily ?

Mike Bellis
You can always go the route I am. Turbo Rotary. You can get 500hp easy and it will rev to 10K. $4-5K will get you a good used engine to start with along with all the parts to install it.
J P Stein
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 16 2010, 03:35 PM) *

You can always go the route I am. Turbo Rotary. You can get 500hp easy and it will rev to 10K. $4-5K will get you a good used engine to start with along with all the parts to install it.

Easy? You can show us how easy after you have it up & runnin'.
The only "easy" part is talking about it.
Britain Smith
One issue is that this motor is not legel to put into a car for SCCA. If you do it then you will be put into AMod.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 16 2010, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 16 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Do a search ... biggrin.gif

It's been discussed before. In length ... shades.gif

agree.gif But I think I remember we discussed lots of hp but not enough torque and puny clutch
Andyrew
There are quite a few motorcycle engine'd Lotus 7 replica's/ one offs.
oldschool
how about this ......Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 16 2010, 03:53 PM) *

Easy? You can show us how easy after you have it up & runnin'.
The only "easy" part is talking about it.

Here's a picture of one for the Non beleivers... Courtesy of Rotary14

Click to view attachment

Or if you want super high HP and a custom install. Go this route... T.M.C. (Too Much Custom) barf.gif

Click to view attachment
tomeric914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 16 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Or if you want super high HP and a custom install. Go this route... T.M.C. (Too Much Custom) barf.gif

Click to view attachment

This is an advantage how? slap.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 16 2010, 06:18 PM) *

how about this ......Click to view attachment

That would be cool.

It would lose a few hundred pounds from the sheet metal, the transaxle, and cooling tins. The trailing arms and brakes would be swapped out for something a little lighter.

Using fiberglass fenders and hood up front along with a small fuel cell in the spare tire hole would further the diet plan. Then get rid of all the heating stuff (who would drive it in the cold weather? )

Adding a GT headlight kit would get rid of the pop up motor weight.

I bet the car could be made light enough to go for a 'busa engine.
raw1298
happy11.gif My father in law has a busa, still in the bike, I wonder if he would notice it missing. happy11.gif The T-Rex is a cool cart!
gothspeed
An S2000 motor would be even more awesome smile.gif!! 240hp bone stock!! Kennedy makes the adapter plate. The only thing to make sure of is the rotation of the crank.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 16 2010, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 16 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This is an advantage how? slap.gif

The added weight in the rear helps with traction and pulling wheelies aktion035.gif poke.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 16 2010, 06:41 PM) *

An S2000 motor would be even more awesome smile.gif!! 240hp bone stock!! Kennedy makes the adapter plate. The only thing to make sure of is the rotation of the crank.

Don't they have a peaky minimal low-RPM torque powerband as well?

As conversions go, a compact turbo like a Subie sounds good to me. Although I am not an engine swap kinda guy at this point. confused24.gif
mcogan10
I just bought a 1972 with the intent of fitting it with a busa or similar cycle motor to it. If anyone has had similar thoughts or experiments I would love to hear about it.
I'm pretty certain I'll have to do it with jackshaft and sproket and connect right to the wheels through the bike tranny. If I try direct to the transmission I'm pretty should that would blow it in short order.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Justinp71
I really like the audi 1.8T (Like Mike Bellis's) or the WRX turbo motor in these cars. I bet the larger 4 cylinder turbo makes a great combo...
BKLA
QUOTE(mcogan10 @ May 5 2014, 04:10 PM) *

I just bought a 1972 with the intent of fitting it with a busa or similar cycle motor to it. If anyone has had similar thoughts or experiments I would love to hear about it.
I'm pretty certain I'll have to do it with jackshaft and sproket and connect right to the wheels through the bike tranny. If I try direct to the transmission I'm pretty should that would blow it in short order.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm doing a x19 gsxr 1000 build in the "sandbox". That might help some as to how I am doing a similar install. Its a chain drive to a LSD utilizing a Stohr sports racer diff, carrier, bearings and gear. No reverse - but I could install a reverse using a "ring gear" and a starter motor. (See the Zcars website in england for further info.) Since the x19 is an old racer, it will only have forward gears as it will be a track day car. Be aware tho, starting and moving a 1900lbs street car with the very low mass clutch & flywheel of the 'busa or Gixxer isn't going to be optimal.

With that said, for the 914 you could use a simple steel subframe that spans from the rear and front mounts that would carry the engine and adjustable differential (chain adjustment). The Stohr diff worked for me as it uses the readily available VW CV joints. However, the diff aren't cheap nor easy to find. (I looked for a while for a formula SAE Diff in stock, before stumbling on a new Stohr diff on ebay.

Be aware that the 914 is heavier than an x19... and the x19 was designed for a water-cooled motor. You may be able to place a radiator with fans on a GT modified engine cover and get enough cooling, but that might be a stretch...

Have fun and just do it!
veekry9
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 16 2010, 09:05 PM) *

There are quite a few motorcycle engine'd Lotus 7 replica's/ one offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-VtJKJkKU

DaxRush
Duncan Cowper's vids ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzQd_mqm2k

Power/Weight.
mgp4591
Put it in a Smart car... then drift it till you puke! wacko.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 6 2014, 07:23 AM) *

I really like the audi 1.8T (Like Mike Bellis's) or the WRX turbo motor in these cars. I bet the larger 4 cylinder turbo makes a great combo...

What makes my conversion work is the tune. Using a factory ECU tuned for a big turbo and methanol is awesome. It runs like a mild mannered Audi around town. If you put your foot into it, the motor comes alive and is a blast to drive. Once I get the drivetrain relocated in the chassis, the car will be mechanically perfect.

Nothing wrong with aftermarket ECU's. But I don't think they have the driveability or computing power of a factory ECU. The aftermarket can be tuned to give similar power results but still won't drive as well. I have no flt spots, no jerkyness, perfect idle, near perfect AF mixture, easy cold weather starting, and on and on. I think the Bosch Motronic 7.5 I'm running could be adapted to any engine if you have a good tuner.
Andyrew
Mike,

that would take a lot of money for tuning... I think that a honda ECU would be much better for that... Almost no money to get into the ECU and tune it and WAY WAY more tuners out there. But I agree a factory ECU makes things really really nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.