Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where can I buy a new dipstick tube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I have been asking everywhere and cant find one.

Do I just buy the closest tubing I can get from mcmaster carr and hope it fits?

I am guessing metric OD??

Stu
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Everywhere is NOT automobile atlanta (I guess that that is the general consensus here at the world site anyway!)

Plenty in stock AND we have beautiful cad plated dipsticks as well for you concours fruits like George, Steve, Tod, and Pat (anyone else want to join this exclusive group?

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 16 2010, 03:15 PM) *

I have been asking everywhere and cant find one.

Do I just buy the closest tubing I can get from mcmaster carr and hope it fits?

I am guessing metric OD??

Stu

smg914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 16 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Plenty in stock AND we have beautiful cad plated dipsticks as well for you concours fruits like George, Steve, Tod, and Pat (anyone else want to join this exclusive group?

Don't forget Dave C.
stugray
George,

I posted a request for quote for a set of endplay shims and a dipstick tube to the AA website, but I have not gotten a response. (stugray@q.com)

I want to order the tube ASAP as I plan on reassembling the engine next weekend.

Let me know the cost & I will place the order (as long as it is reasonable)

I was going to order two engine mounts from AA, but the cost is $45 EACH. Another site I found has them for $30 for a pair (new Porsche parts).
( AT PP, they are $125 each :-0 )

smg914,

Who is Dave C.?

Also - what is the name of that machine shop in L.A. that specializes in VWs? I had them line bore my ghia case 20 years ago, and they replaced the dipstick tube for free.
I know, there are a TON of machine shops in LA, but I see the name of this particular one mentioned on this forum a lot....just cant remember.

Stu
dr914@autoatlanta.com
different mounts. The 45 each are the early the 30 per pair are the late. the 125 are the factory. Our salesmen should be on the ball surprised that they have not answered you but 'tis the season, and they are sizing shirts for our lady gift buyers and hating it!

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 18 2010, 07:56 AM) *

George,

I posted a request for quote for a set of endplay shims and a dipstick tube to the AA website, but I have not gotten a response. (stugray@q.com)

I want to order the tube ASAP as I plan on reassembling the engine next weekend.

I was going to order two engine mounts from AA, but the cost is $45 EACH. Another site I found has them for $30 for a pair (new Porsche parts).

smg914,

Who is Dave C.?

Also - what is the name of that machine shop in L.A. that specializes in VWs? I had them line bore my ghia case 20 years ago, and they replaced the dipstick tube for free.
I know, there are a TON of machine shops in LA, but I see the name of this particular one mentioned on this forum a lot....just cant remember.

Stu

Hammy
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 18 2010, 06:56 AM) *

George,

And that's why AA is "NOT" everywhere.
bandjoey
okok, this is about finding a dipstik not being a dipstik. lol-2.gif
McMark
Um.... dipstick TUBE! Go to your FLAPS and get some brake line. Cut to length, flare the end a bit to get a tight fit, and tap it into place. Works great and is indistinguishable from the OE except to the most astute of inspectors.
stugray
Here is the response from AA:

"If your type 4 case is missing the dipstick tube, you will either have to go without a dipstick and plug the hole, or find a different case. The cases are pressed in from the factory to a specific height and it cannot be replicated easily. The machine work alone to try to press in another dipstick tube would be in the hundreds of dollars."

I am pretty sure that when I had my Ghia case align-bored, I watched the machinist pull out the old broken tube with vice grips, and tap in a brand new one with a mallet.

I have a hard time believing that it requires machining to fix this.

The response from aircooledtechnology was:

"You have a few ways to remove. 1)heat the case around the tube with torch(carefully!) and grip with vice-grips and wiggle out. 2)Cut it off flush with case and drive through with a drift or punch. 3)Drill it out."

I find that to be a little more believable.

McMark,

Do you have a dimension? I am guessing that the tube is metric, but a brake line is probably close enough to make it work....

I guess if it is too small, a little JB weld could help ;-)

The tube isnt completely broken off. It is bent over & cracked.
I guess I can try to tig weld it before ripping it out.

Stu
dr914@autoatlanta.com
http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...ial_number=9596

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 20 2010, 10:49 AM) *

Here is the response from AA:

"If your type 4 case is missing the dipstick tube, you will either have to go without a dipstick and plug the hole, or find a different case. The cases are pressed in from the factory to a specific height and it cannot be replicated easily. The machine work alone to try to press in another dipstick tube would be in the hundreds of dollars."

I am pretty sure that when I had my Ghia case align-bored, I watched the machinist pull out the old broken tube with vice grips, and tap in a brand new one with a mallet.

I have a hard time believing that it requires machining to fix this.

The response from aircooledtechnology was:

"You have a few ways to remove. 1)heat the case around the tube with torch(carefully!) and grip with vice-grips and wiggle out. 2)Cut it off flush with case and drive through with a drift or punch. 3)Drill it out."

I find that to be a little more believable.

McMark,

Do you have a dimension? I am guessing that the tube is metric, but a brake line is probably close enough to make it work....

Stu
dr914@autoatlanta.com
According to Rich our sales manager: He emailed us on Friday night, afterhours. We answered him this morning.

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 18 2010, 07:56 AM) *

George,

smg914,

Who is Dave C.?

Stu

McMark
McMark,

Stu

You need 5/16 brake line (I used NAPA #813-5466). Break off the old dipstick and carefully grind it flush with the case. Drill the hole out with a 5/16" drill bit. Scribe a line on the replacement 6" from the top. That is the 'case line'. Cut off about 1" past the line. Test fit the new tube in the case. You want a snug fit. If the hole is too small, carefully drill is SLIGHTLY larger. If the hole is too big, you can flare the tube slightly. Using Loctite Green or JB Weld isn't a bad idea either.

Just make sure you have 6" from the top of the tube to the case.
Elliot Cannon
I just recently had the same problem. My dipstick broke off just level with the engine tin. The 5/16 brake line works great. I had to reem it out a bit to fit. I used about a 3 inch length and tapped it on to the ramaining housing and then inserted the broken off piece of housing and tapped it on as well. The distance from the surface of the engine tin and the top of the stick housing is about 3 3/8 inches.
McMark
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 20 2010, 01:42 PM) *

The distance from the surface of the engine tin and the top of the stick housing is about 3 3/8 inches.

I added emphasis, so nobody thinks we disagree. grouphug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 20 2010, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 20 2010, 01:42 PM) *

The distance from the surface of the engine tin and the top of the stick housing is about 3 3/8 inches.

I added emphasis, so nobody thinks we disagree. grouphug.gif

Hey! Get off the computer and get back to work. type.gif welder.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.