Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear view mirror base mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
einic
Do anyone no were to by the base clip that glues to the front screen fixing the rear view mirror? It's a plastic "pad" that the mirror slides on to, mirror secured by one screw.
Can't find it in any web shops.
tradisrad
Call Rich at high perfomance house in redwood city california 650-364-6234. He will ship.

Now to clarify. My 914 has a metal base that is attached to the window with a double sided adhesive label. The mirror arm screws to this base with one screw. High performance house will have all the parts you need.

You can also find the adhesive pad at Pelican Parts link
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(einic @ Dec 17 2010, 07:32 AM) *

Do anyone no were to by the base clip that glues to the front screen fixing the rear view mirror? It's a plastic "pad" that the mirror slides on to, mirror secured by one screw.

It is actually a double face trapezoidal piece of tape that provides the mounting and a bit of shock protection. We too have plenty on the shelf. Important to clean the mirror base and the windshield before installing and you will notice that the mirror patch is slightly smaller than the base. This is where we install a thin perimeter line of weatherstrip adhesive (as per the factory direction) to seal the patch from the air. This insures that the patch will last and the mirror not fall off.
einic
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2010, 04:34 PM) *

It is actually a double face trapezoidal piece of tape that provides the mounting and a bit of shock protection. We too have plenty on the shelf. Important to clean the mirror base and the windshield before installing and you will notice that the mirror patch is slightly smaller than the base. This is where we install a thin perimeter line of weatherstrip adhesive (as per the factory direction) to seal the patch from the air. This insures that the patch will last and the mirror not fall off.

My base is some kind of plastic, and one side is broken. Have glued it several times, but breaks off again. I bought wat I thought was the base from Mittelmotor, but it was the double sided tape I got.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
How about a pic?

QUOTE(einic @ Dec 17 2010, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2010, 04:34 PM) *

My base is some kind of plastic, and one side is broken. Have glued it several times, but breaks off again. I bought wat I thought was the base from Mittelmotor, but it was the double sided tape I got.

willamp
A slighty related question: I would like to replace my mirror with a new one but my current one, with the trapizoidal metal base, is attatched very well and I wouldn't want to risk breaking the windshield by just trying to pull the old one off. Does the original one unscrew from the base somehow, or do I really have to remove it entirely? If I do is there any trick to remove that wouldn't risk breaking the glass?

Thanks in advance
realred914
QUOTE(willamp @ Dec 17 2010, 09:30 AM) *

A slighty related question: I would like to replace my mirror with a new one but my current one, with the trapizoidal metal base, is attatched very well and I wouldn't want to risk breaking the windshield by just trying to pull the old one off. Does the original one unscrew from the base somehow, or do I really have to remove it entirely? If I do is there any trick to remove that wouldn't risk breaking the glass?

Thanks in advance

unscrews,!!!!! there is a tiny tiny weenie little screw up in the hole (look up at teh mirror arm to see the hole.) mine had a fine straight slotted screw in there.

this is a fine screw becuase it is designed to break away on impact with you head in a crash.
willamp
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 17 2010, 11:47 AM) *

unscrews,!!!!! there is a tiny tiny weenie little screw up in the hole (look up at teh mirror arm to see the hole.) mine had a fine straight slotted screw in there.

this is a fine screw becuase it is designed to break away on impact with you head in a crash.

Great, I see it. Thanks

Next time maybe I should get up off my fat a$$ and looked before posting rolleyes.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(willamp @ Dec 17 2010, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 17 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Great, I see it. Thanks

Next time maybe I should get up off my fat a$$ and looked before posting rolleyes.gif

BTDT.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(einic @ Dec 17 2010, 06:32 AM) *

It sounds like you have a non-OE mirror there. As the others have stated, the OE mirror base is a metal trapezoid surface which mates to the glass with that double-sided foam adhesive pad you got (the correct OE mirror base attachment part).

So now you need to decide to either keep messing with an aftermarket mirror whose plastic part keeps breaking, or to buy a nice used or a new interior rear view mirror for your 914. IIRC that's the same mirror used on the period's 911/912 (or at least similar).

The last time I looked, they were still available new from Porsche & the usual suspects here (AA, PP, Pelican, GPR, TC'sGarage, etc. - all are dot-com's) but pricey - plus they regularly come up used in the classifieds here, 914club, ClubNARP.com, TheSamba, eBay, etc. if you want to to pay a bit less.

Get the part number from the 914 PET parts manual available for free download from the Porsche website, under their Classics section, so that you get the right part for your 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.