Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy or Great idea? Bedliner undercoat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
Is this nuts or something to seriously consider?

In about two weeks I'm going to have the engine out and the suspension off (clutch job and suspension bushings). I was thinking of taking advantage of this opportunity to clean and seal up the bottom of the pan.

The car is very rust free and I want to keep it that way. However, the bottom of the car is looking pretty ratty and losing paint. I was thinking about wirebrushing, metal-preping, and epoxy primering the entire bottom of the car (sans suspension & engine) and then sealing it with a not-to-heavy coat of spray-on bedliner like Linex, Herculiner, etc. I would of course have it done in the color of my choice and would probably have a shop do the application.

What do you think? My thinking is that this could be nice looking, very durable, and good protetection. It would also be much lighter than traditional undercoatings and should inhibit rust rather than promote it. Thoughts?

-Ben
Brad Roberts
ALL of the Jeep guys and Landrover guy's have Rhino liner shot on the INSIDE of their vehicles. It workes great. Makes for easy cleanup for them.

DONT clean it yourself. The places that shoot the stuff use a special buffing pad to prep the surface for the "liner". I dont think it sticks to bare metal. Call one of them or stop by one of the places and tell them what you want to do.

I use Rhino Liner is all my truck beds... The bed dents and the Liner conforms to the dents...LOL

B
jonwatts
How easy is it to remove Rhino Liner? That would be a question I would want the answer to if I were considering it.
Jeffs9146
I used the truck bed liner on my rockers and it seems to be holding up great!

Jeff
Mueller
oh, so now you like it? smile.gif
Aaron Cox
use that new bondo roll on bedliner stuff wink.gif
soyunds lilke a good idea biggrin.gif
airsix
I'd really like to have it done in a light color, maybe even white (and paint or powder coat the suspension a contrasting color). The pro shops (Line-X, Rhino Liner, etc.) do any color you want. Cost ~$500. The Bondo/Duplicolor/Herculiner DIY kits cost about $100. These come in any color you want as long as you want black - Except Herculiner which has red and grey also. Hmmmm...... Anybody know any other options?

-Ben M.
Lawrence
The bedliner stuff is durable as hell. Would you want the textured look on the underside of your car?

If you're going to spend all that money, what about DIY powdercoating?

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
I'm betting his wife doesnt have a oven big enough to put the car into.

B << Has friends who have Powder coated complete 914 race tubs.
Lawrence
Don't need an oven. Just a large IR heatlamp. Do it in sections.

-Rusty
Jeffs9146
[QUOTE]oh, so now you like it?

It's growing on me! I decided to put them on and see what they look like!!

Not Bad!! beerchug.gif

Jeff
airsix
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 11 2003, 03:35 PM)
The bedliner stuff is durable as hell.  Would you want the textured look on the underside of your car?

If you're going to spend all that money, what about DIY powdercoating?

-Rusty

Don't really care one way or the other on the textured look. I mostly want something that is durable as heck and will prevent corosion from ever being a concern. I thought of bedliner because it should be lighter than that asphalt crap traditionally used, and more durable than paint or even powdercoat. It also has great moisture barrier properties (which is why POR15 works). I thought white would be nice because it reflects light so well and would make working under the car easier - and looks clean no matter how dirty. But, the truth is I won't be staring at the bottom of the car all that often, so black should be just fine. In fact, if I seal the whole bottom of the car with the stuff including the wheel wells I might even be tempted to (do I dare say it).... drive it even in the rain (gasp!) I have been puting this car away for the winter every year and just got to thinking maybe this would be a way to make year-round driving a possibility without resigning the car to a shorter life. We get almost no snow (none this year) and no salt on the roads. Annual precipitation is about 7 inches. So it's not like rain is a huge problem, but any rain is a concern for a 914 owner. It will be nice peace of mind to know that the water and gravel bombarding the bottom of the car is doing no harm.
boxstr
Okay I have to tell you and you may not beleive this but I saw a 914 that the owner bedlinered the complete outside of the car. I swear to god.
CCLinLOO
Curvie Roadlover
I remember seeing that car for sale. It looked kinda white from a distance, but up close, it had a textured granite look. Is that the car you're talking about? Pretty strange that someone would do that to a car. blink.gif
boxstr
Thats the one, wasn't it on ebay??
CCLinLOO
anthony
I think the guy lived in Marin. I saw that car for sale for quite a long time. It was worth about half of what he was asking. He probably still has it.
jonwatts
I saw a 914 that the owner bedlinered the complete outside of the car.

Hey honey, wanna do it on the hood of the Porsche?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 11 2003, 08:34 PM)
Hey honey, wanna do it on the hood of the Porsche?

good idea jon!
that's one thing i haven't done yet! aktion035.gif
jonwatts
Oh please let me be there when you tell Scott what happened to the paint job. I doubt your warranty will cover it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 11 2003, 08:37 PM)
Oh please let me be there when you tell Scott what happened to the paint job. I doubt your warranty will cover it.

i was actually thinking about someone elses car.
much more fun that way ...

ph34r.gif :sweet: smlove2.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
Brad Roberts
Been there done that.

Come up something creative...

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.