Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR Valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
In another post Rich mentioned that he disconnected his AAR & CS Valve saying they weren't necessary where lives, which I'm pretty sure is lower Slobovia. So I thought I would disconnect mine here in SoCal. Guess what? My idle stabilized. Impossible! It tested fine when I first resurrected this engine but was now sticking open. So I took the opportunity to take a few shots of this AAR valve in action. I will try to post 6 pic's so it will probably take 2 posts.
Ambient temp = 71F
Humidity = 100% rain

First pic shows the valve temp after a 10 min quench in the freezer. Temp's shown are the skin temps and are surely different than those at the core or bi-metal strip which controls the degree of movement within the valve.
Click to view attachment
This shot shows the valve opening at this temp. It appears to be 1/2 open. Will it open further? I don't know but at this setting I could blow thru the valve without any noticeable back pressure.
Click to view attachment
After energizing the AAR for 5 min's the surface temp was 97.1F as shown.
Click to view attachment
76-914
This 3rd pic shows the valve in the partially open position, which corresponds with the rise inn temp to 97F
Click to view attachment
This next pic shows the temp after energizing for 10 mins.
Click to view attachment
And finally, this pic shows what appears to be fully closed......Wrong. It was still passing air. After a couple of WD-40 showers it seems to be closing completely, now.
Click to view attachment
SLITS
Kent, you have spent way to much time at Harbor Freight buying semi-useless tools to find a use for.

Hey, that's the best I've got for this thread.
McMark
Yup, a good lubrication is all that a lot of these valves need. I've also helped free stuck valves by poking a small screwdriver into the hole and 'nudging' the piston to help it move.

Great info here!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.