Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil line hose. SS rubber vs. SS teflon vs. hard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I've heard teflon flows the best, rubber can swell shut with age but/and Porsche used hard lines in 911's. I know if you did hard lines you would still need flex from the engine.

What’s your opinion?

synthesisdv post made me wonder about this.
TimT
Basically use hard line any place you can...

FWIW 5 feet of copper or aluminum tube costs less than 5 feet of -12

You still have to braze or weld fittings on...

Teflon flows better, as expected..
Dave_Darling
Metal radiates heat, so you get some extra cooling effect. I am told that on the 911SC, the lines to and from the "cooler" (AKA the "trombone" or "loop", just a loop or two of metal tubing) cool the oil at least as much as the actual cooler does. Metal can be crushed by debris, or by incautious use of tools--just ask any early 911S owner who has had his oil lines crushed by some tire-changing monkey.

The others?? They won't radiate heat very much, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. They will tend to deal better with debris and such, but they are by no means invulnerable.

Not enough info to have an opinion about rubber vs. teflon.

--DD
TimT
Metal radiates heat

rubber and teflon hoses radiate heat also..

I guess it just comes down to economics...braided SS lines look cool.... however there are much more economical ways to plumb your oil lines than using aeroquip or Earls lines... they just aint as purty
J P Stein
QUOTE(TimT @ Apr 24 2004, 06:33 PM)
Metal radiates heat

I guess it just comes down to economics...braided SS lines look cool.... however there are much more economical ways to plumb your oil lines than using aeroquip or Earls lines... they just aint as purty

I dunno bout that.

At about 6.50 a foot, enuff SS to plumb a front cooler is around 160 bucks. You need fittings at each end.
Then there's all the fooffaraw plumbing in the thermo.

Hard lines are gonna need brazing or welding and fittings at each end of them plus flex line attached to each end. Basicly, what you save in hose, you loose in fittings. Straight fittings are bout 12/14 bucks. Angled jobbies are 25 ish.

Unless you got something else in mind.....
rdracrdave
Never use copper lines for fuel or oil.
Hard copper lines will fracture or split if twisted or bent , as in an accident. Soft copper lines are too soft , and will puncture with a medium effort hit .
Again as in an accident.
Beter safe than sorry.

Dave
F4i
Hard lines would just need a flare for an an connection. Teflon has a virtually unlimited life from my understanding. You could find out more on stratoflex or aeroquipe website.
Mueller
In the latest Summit Racing Catalog, they have steel, stainless steel and aluminum fuel lines...for the different materials, they have optional "tube nuts" for them except the aluminum, they use AN fittings.

The aluminum lines are available in blue and red and withstand up to 250psi. I like that idea of the different colors, you could use red for pressure going to FI and the blue for return to the tank.
Brett W
I picked up some 304 stainless 5/8 tubing to use for oil cooler lines. I figured I could flare it or could just weld some stainless fittings on the end. BUt it will work much better than running the rubber lines all the way to the front of the chassis.
machina
brass,

Luftansa 914 GT restoration.
Mark Henry
David, that is real clean looking! Can you show us pic’s of the rest of your install.
machina
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 25 2004, 12:00 PM)
David, that is real clean looking! Can you show us pic’s of the rest of your install.

no, no, no...

read on top, that is a picture from a restoration of a real factory GT, the Luftansa GT.

I wish my car looked like that, I'm just using garden hose. wacko.gif

dr
Eric_Shea
So the real question is; Who's the source for brass 914-6/GT lines?

I asked Elephant and they said "not yet". I'd really like to get a set ala the Lufthansa pair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.