Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve cover gasket glue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I went in asking for Gask-a-cinch and the oldtimer at my favorite flaps told me this is the stuff to have: a tube of 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. Any experience with this stuff? What do you fellas use?
Jake Raby
The 3m works well.. Just use it on the valve cover side, then grease the side that fits to the head.

I didn't change the valve cover gaskets on my 912E engine over 160K miles using this method.
charliew
I always used the 3m but it is a job putting on new gaskets and cleaning the 3m off. What about using a silicon adhesive on the valvecover side? I would think it would clean off a lot easier.
quadracerx
Yea it works REALLY GOOD....used to call it "Yellow Gorilla Snot" be careful with it..it tends to get everywhere you dont want it to....and its kinda like welds stuff together...LMAO

Good Luck....

Steve
Krieger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 18 2010, 07:01 PM) *

The 3m works well.. Just use it on the valve cover side, then grease the side that fits to the head.

I didn't change the valve cover gaskets on my 912E engine over 160K miles using this method.

Thanks Jake. I don't think I've changed out my gaskets in 8-9 years. 10k miles in that time. Its time to check the valves and I figured while I was in there maybe its time. I have 0 leaks. What do you think Jake do it or not? I probably won't get in there for another 2 years to check vavle lash.
mrbubblehead
i use gask-a-cinch on the cover side. dry on the head side.
Krieger
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 18 2010, 07:23 PM) *

I could not find the gask a cinch. probably illegal in california.
sww914
Contact cement on the cover side, dry on the head side. They last a long time.
Jake Raby
I didn't have to change the gaskets in 8 years/ 160,000 miles.

If its not leaking, then don't worry about sealing them.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 18 2010, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 18 2010, 07:23 PM) *

I could not find the gask a cinch. probably illegal in california.

i live in california, maybe try napa. i think kragens carries it. i coat one side of the gasket with it and then the valve cover. let it dry for about 5 minutes and stick them together. you need to be accurate when you join them together because you only get one shot at it. once the gasket touches the valve cover theres no repositioning it. the reason i like gask-a-cinch over the 3m is when its time for new gaskets they come of with a putty knife with minimal prep. usually a wire brush will do. the 3m takes alot of work to get off. IMO. not near as messy also.
VaccaRabite
I use the 3M stuff too. A very thin smear on the valve cover side. Almost never have to swap out gaskets.

Zach
StratPlayer
http://www.kedo.com/base_com/21053.html
davesprinkle
We're talking about the cork seals, right? Why do you use sealer? I've just greased both sides with no leaks.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 19 2010, 12:16 PM) *

We're talking about the cork seals, right? Why do you use sealer? I've just greased both sides with no leaks.

So the gasket will stay in place better when you install the valve cover. By not sealing the engine side, the gasket can slide a little against the head without moving the gasket out of place.
NC_Colfax
I used a couple of drops of super glue. Worked very well for me under the car.
Pat Garvey

Yo!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Dec 19 2010, 01:59 PM) *

So the gasket will stay in place better when you install the valve cover. By not sealing the engine side, the gasket can slide a little against the head without moving the gasket out of place.

With mine, I bought a lot of the cork gaskets at once one day, and they are kinda warped. If I put the gasket on w/o sealant on the cover, it will not lay flat and I get a huge leak. A super thin smear of sealant to glue it to the valve cover, and it is good to go for a LONG time.

If grease is working for you, great! Will save you time cleaning up the sealant when the gasket has to finally be retired.

Zach
stugray
I will probably get flamed for this, but here is what I did on my ghia & previous 914:

I used blue RTV to glue the gasket into the valve cover, put it in place and "slightly" clamped it in place. This guarantees it drys flat.
Once that was dry I put a very thin film of RTV on the head side and let it dry.

They never leaked again after that and lasted for years.

Stu
VaccaRabite
But, how did you check your valves?

Zach
stugray
The RTV was allowed to dry before replacing the covers, so they went on & off with no trouble.

It just made the cork gasket more "silicone like".

Stu
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 18 2010, 06:54 PM) *

I went in asking for Gask-a-cinch and the oldtimer at my favorite flaps told me this is the stuff to have: a tube of 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. Any experience with this stuff? What do you fellas use?

I use Gasgacinch (note the spelling). Been using it for nearly 40 years. Car Quest sells it. Yes, even in California. When applied to clean surfaces and allowed to tack up before the parts are put together, it works great. 3M weatherstrip adhesive is waaaaaay overkill, and is a PITA to remove and clean up when you have to replace the gaskets. Yet another case of a clueless counterperson selling you what he has, not what you want or need.

The Cap'n
underthetire
Gasgacinch for me. Started using it when I split dirtbike cases. Used it ever since. Napa always has it.
Jake Raby
Anyone who has ever seen an engine fail only because one tiny dot of blue or orange RTV clogged the oil passage on the #1 main bearing will never use that product again on one of these engines.

RTV- Death in a tube.
Drums66
...I use engine earl...No prob,No issue's biggrin.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.