Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll pins in gear selector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F4i
I caught mine in the act of leaving! The lower (inner) one was just about out. The outer one is a bit loose as well. Are there new ones or a better solution out there?
mightyohm
I replaced both last year. I was able to order new roll pins from Pelican. They are a special triple rolled kind that I wasn't able to find anywhere else.

One of mine had snapped in half inside the selector rod and was just waiting to fall apart inside the transmission. Glad I found it..
F4i
Sounds like this is a common problem. If I had not caught mine it would have fallen in. Did the new pins seem tight? There is a bit of play in my old ones on the shaft. I did not realize that pelican would carry them. I am going to order a bunch of stuff (synchros /Hub seals etc.)would pelican be the dest deal on this stuff? Sorry to ramble on but should I get the shift fork jig as well? Thanks
mightyohm
The new pins were MUCH tighter.
I think the fork and stuff are mucho expensive or not available. Yours are probably fine. Just get the pins and see how it goes back together.
F4i
I was asking about the shift fork JIG. I think the selector would be pricy I am going to just re-use it. Good to hear the new ones tighten things up. I want to remove as much slop as possible.
F4i
On the hot topic of trannys There was just no way of telling the colour of the paper shims when things came apart. Any good methods for setting the distance?

jkeyzer thanks for the pin info. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Measure the ones that came out.

If you can't do that (it's a very good idea!!) then you need to do a "wipe test" on the R&P teeth. Make sure they "wipe" a good pattern off of each other (coat them with grease or dye), then use your vast years of experience to tell which way to move the ring gear or pinion gear... At least, that's my understanding of the process.

--DD
F4i
So trial and error and some prussian blue. Does pelican sell just the paper gaskets? Or do I have to buy another seal kit?
Dave_Darling
I don't know if they're on the website, but you ought to be able to phone and get them individually.

--DD
2-OH!
Just use a Michrometer wipe em' dry as possible and make sure you've got pieces from all three...not the same one, times three...

If you PM me, I have the part numbers at my office and I'll give you the numbers in the A.M. ...

Mine turned out to be .1MM times 3...I mich'ed em' in several places on the stack of gaskets and got the same number each time...You will need a way to convert decimal to mm... Don't forget the gasket for the tail support piece...

You can order them from PP on line...They are about 2 USD each...The shipping will cost you more than the gaskets

2-OH!
F4i
Cool thanks! clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.