Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arkitect
Can someone give me an insight of how you change the plastic plunger? If I open the latch it comes close to releasing it, I can try to pry but afraid of breaking it.

Dave

Click to view attachment

The broken one is on the right.
dangrouche
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...door_handle.htm
read up on it here. 1. You can try putting the plastic in by gentle force. 2. you can file down the rivet and push the rivet and re-use the rivet. 3. you can drill out and find a suitable allen head bolt and a nyloc nut (the nut and bolt needs to be the same diameter of the rivet). There is generally a lot of clearance behind the door handle to accomodate this method. This is the method I used. you could also use a nut and bolt, but you need to use loctite to make sure the nut does not back off. make sure the bolt enters from the top of the handle so if it falls off, gravity will keep the handle flap intact.
never throw away the door handle parts, you can always cobble one together from other dead ones, unless the potmetal parts are entirely broken
arkitect
Thanks for the reply. Will try to pry it off, if that doesn't work will eliminate the rivet and replace w/ a bolt.

Dave
URY914
Are you asking how to get the old one off? Just cut it of with a knife.

The new black ones will take a lot of bending and will not break. I've changed about 30.
McMark
agree.gif pry it off. If it breaks, you didn't want to install it on the other one anyway. Otherwise you would be doing this job again shortly anyway. Only the strong survive! laugh.gif
arkitect
Looks like I will be ordering another part from PP, the old latch cam broke when prying it off. sad.gif

But like McMark said better now than after I installed it.

Dave
URY914
PM me your address and I'll mail you one for nuttin. I got a box of them. You are talking about the pot metal piece at is on the opposite end of the lock, correct?
arkitect
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 19 2010, 01:42 PM) *

PM me your address and I'll mail you one for nuttin. I got a box of them. You are talking about the pot metal piece at is on the opposite end of the lock, correct?

It's not a pot metal piece, it's the plastic piece that slides with a tab on each side that the latch moves.
Joe Ricard
Soak the plastic part in hot water 1st.
Or get one from Paul.
SLITS
I take the end off, pry the arms away from the body slightly, activate the mechanism as if opening the door and pull the plastic piece off.

I use a pair of channel locks to bend the arms back into place.

Don't need to pry the arms away from the body a whole lot so as to avoid breaking them.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 20 2010, 07:10 AM) *

I take the end off, pry the arms away from the body slightly, activate the mechanism as if opening the door and pull the plastic piece off.

I use a pair of channel locks to bend the arms back into place.

Don't need to pry the arms away from the body a whole lot so as to avoid breaking them.

Dead on the money. AND when we made this part originally we side cut the round buttons to make it even easier to install.
URY914
You break those arms and you are screwed. Be very careful.
markb
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 20 2010, 12:47 PM) *

You break those arms and you are screwed. Be very careful.

agree.gif
underthetire
Yep, GPR, 1 day to get it. Not too hard of a job. Had to do mine this year.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.