Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Our cars love cold air!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Hard to believe the roads are bare and dry this far into winter, had to rearrange the garage and decided it was okay to take the teener for a spin, no salt on the roads! She started right up, let her warm up a bit while I juggled a few cars for parking spots and then off I went to visit a good friend who lives about ten miles away. Car hadn't even been started in 7 or 8 weeks, I took it easy the first mile or so and then gradually brought my speed up and I noticed she was running real smooth and it seemed to have more power, ahhh the cold air I thought so I dropped her down to 4th and pressed down on the throttle and away we went, up a hill like nothing and a nice shift to 5th and we were cruising, this must be what it is like to have one of those more powerful engines. Since I now have heat these cold days are a joy, too bad we have to put her away when the salt comes out, so enjoy it while I can.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Dec 19 2010, 02:28 PM) *

Hard to believe the roads are bare and dry this far into winter, had to rearrange the garage and decided it was okay to take the teener for a spin, no salt on the roads! She started right up, let her warm up a bit while I juggled a few cars for parking spots and then off I went to visit a good friend who lives about ten miles away. Car hadn't even been started in 7 or 8 weeks, I took it easy the first mile or so and then gradually brought my speed up and I noticed she was running real smooth and it seemed to have more power, ahhh the cold air I thought so I dropped her down to 4th and pressed down on the throttle and away we went, up a hill like nothing and a nice shift to 5th and we were cruising, this must be what it is like to have one of those more powerful engines. Since I now have heat these cold days are a joy, too bad we have to put her away when the salt comes out, so enjoy it while I can.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
cool story ian, my favorite time is real early in the morning. i leave for work a 5:00 am. the air is cold and still....air cooled engines do seem more powerfull and crisper in the cold.
jfort
Headers = no heat. I don't thinks so
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jfort @ Dec 19 2010, 08:21 PM) *

Headers = no heat. I don't thinks so

Yup.

I've driven my car to work and back a few times when it was cold enough to turn water into ice. Car was absolutely fine. Loved it. I was frigid, though.

I like having planned downtime for the car. it is still a work in progress, and probably always will be. Having time to put it in the air and work on it at my usual slug like pace is a good thing. I always know that my target to drive is Hershey in April.

Zach
Rleog
Colder, more dense air --> higher partial pressure of O2 --> more explosive mix in the cylinders.
Drums66
....It reminds her of where she was put together biggrin.gif
shades.gif driving.gif
bye1.gif
bembry
Yep--I took mine out yesterday (and once I got the cold natured beast started) it was great.

Glad I went out too--it just snowed for the first time of the year today, and now the roads are salted. No more 914 driving until spring!

A Dec 19 drive in New England without salt is pretty good though!
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 20 2010, 11:58 AM) *

....It reminds her of where she was put together biggrin.gif
shades.gif driving.gif
bye1.gif

Lol... I tell my wife that all the time when I drive it in damp 35-40 degree weather. It does seem to run better. I alwas say she thinks she is in Germany again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.