Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.2t motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sc42766
hi , i have the oportunity to buy a 1970 2.2t engine , i did not see it running but i know the compression is good and from what i am told the engine was runnig good when it was in it's 911.

i am paying 2800.00$ for the engine but i still have to buy what i need to install it in my 914 .

what do you guy's think , is it a good deal ?

regards
sixnotfour
carbs ? weber or zenith
how much oil film on the bottom side ?

From what I was told. Depends who they are and how well you know them.
My buddy bought a 2.7 that was still warm from running , and they said it was running fine, It was missing the whole piston in one cylinder, blew up and went out the exhaust and in the sump. buyer beware
brant
thats full price for a 2.2T
it would of come with zeniths (when stock)
zeniths are not super valuable....

if it has webbers on it, that helps..
but still full price

the conversion parts aren't cheap either
you could put another 3K into conversion parts quickly
and without brakes or suspension work

some things you could fabricate yourself to save a bit of money.

brant
ME733
.I recommend that you consider ANY used engine as nothing more than an assemblidge of "extra" spare, MINOR parts. Some parts may have some value such as the alternator,housing etc ,if you want an "up right" fan for a 4 banger. It,s my opinion that the sellers price is too high....If it,s a good engine, then maybe you could work a deal to PAY for it after disassembly...just to ensure the major parts are still useable....see how that idea sits with the seller. see how the price drops with out this Idea.
racerbvd
I have a complete 74 911 for sale in the "Other" for sale section here if you are interested..
ONTHEGRIND
I will sell you my 2.2 cheaper then that..
sc42766
with the awnser's that i received , what would you suggest between doing the conversion or keeping my 1.7 but upgrading it with what i think is the 2056 ?

tanks everyone
SirAndy
QUOTE(sc42766 @ Dec 19 2010, 07:44 PM) *
tanks everyone

biggrin.gif

IPB Image
tradisrad
I too am in your boat. I am supposed to look at an engine tomorrow. It is disassembled and the price does not sound too bad. It does need some parts, tension upgrade, unknown injection and some other possible issues.

BUT, once I crunch the numbers and even with the best scenario I could still put $2k or more into it not including the purchase price or conversion parts and I still would have an engine that can have studs pull.
All of a sudden it does not seem like such a good deal and I am going to disappoint the seller.

I've got a 2056 in my car and it is a nice engine.

My dream is to put a 6 in my car, but a big 4 does not sound too bad either once the price for the 6 and it's conversion is calculated. Not to mention the 200 more pounds and the 10 quart oil changes. A big 4 does not have to be a $10k Raby engine.

There is a 3.0 on the bird board for $3.5k and it kicks ass all over that "t" motor. Its only $500 more that I might put into a 2.7 and $700 more than your 2.2T and I bet the asking price is negotiable.

It's a tough call, unless funds for the project come easily.... mine don't.
ONTHEGRIND
If you bay area guys need some complete engine's i have a few engines that i am gonna get running and dyno tuned
sc42766
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Dec 19 2010, 09:38 PM) *

If you bay area guys need some complete engine's i have a few engines that i am gonna get running and dyno tuned

Tanks but i live in Quebec canada , it is a little to far.

regards
DanT
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Dec 19 2010, 10:38 PM) *

give us a run down on what motors you have biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
If it's got documented good CR and weber carbs that's an OK deal. if not it's a core and isn't worth much more than $500 for the engine and 800-1200 for webers.
There's often a couple complete engines F/S in the Toronto area.

The type for would be a lot cheaper, I have lots of parts if you need something send me a PM.

Remember guys he's in Canada so any engine from the US will cost him $1000+ just for shipping.
He's also French Canadian so the grammer police shoud holster their keyboards. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 20 2010, 07:15 PM) *
He's also French Canadian so the grammer police shoud holster their keyboards. wink.gif

poke.gif
naro914
Just for comparison purposes, I paid $3500 for a 3.2 engine, complete with wiring harness, ECU, flywheel, etc. Complete 'plug and play' (to whatever extent that is) I did have to upgrade some things, but Huey was already a 6 conversion so not much of a cost.

No matter what engine you buy, you should assume to have a compression/leak down test done, and take the heads off to make sure it's all in one piece.

I've been lucky. I've bought a 2.5, 2.7 and the 3.2 'trusting' the seller each time, and each time it was exactly as they described.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 20 2010, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 20 2010, 07:15 PM) *

poke.gif

Did it on porpoise...just for you.....was going to call you something else, but others may have been offended. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Dec 19 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Any high torque AX motors? Mine AX car is more focused on the top end....
Mark Henry
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 20 2010, 10:36 PM) *

Just for comparison purposes, I paid $3500 for a 3.2 engine, complete with wiring harness, ECU, flywheel, etc. Complete 'plug and play' (to whatever extent that is) I did have to upgrade some things, but Huey was already a 6 conversion so not much of a cost.

Some quick guesstimates (if done legal like) on the shipping of your $3500 3.2, which BTW sounds a lot like a "right place at the right time" type of deal to me.

Shipping to Montreal $800
Taxes (and they will tax the shipping if that's what it's insured for) $675
Brokerage $100

So now we're at $5K+ and he still needs 3K+ to get it in the car. You can find a $5k 3.2 around here.
Of course then he'll need to stop the thing.
naro914
Actually, I found it on Pelican Parts forum. guy had it for sale for months. He even delivered it from Pittsburgh to Charlotte for me free - he has family down here. I gave him gas money.

If you're planning on doing a 6 conversion anyway, wait until you can find a 3.2. I've been through a 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 2.7 and now the 3.2 and OMG, is this BY FAR the best of them all! Just about everything you'll do for a 2.2 will translate to the 3.2 - oil cooler, oil tank, engine mount, sheet metal, etc. and oh yeah, you need brakes. the only thing different about the 3.2 is you need a flywheel conversion kit and better clutch, but I still use the 901 trans and it's just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.