Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarcoC
Hello all,

Working on my 914 winter projects!
I am looking into a yellow top Optima Battery (new sound system and gadgets draining the red top one...)

I am told Optima does not make the size 41-42 anymore...

Which size are you guys using?
Any suggestion as to which I should order?
Any alternative?

Marco.
smontanaro
My red-top is a 34R.

Skip
GeorgeRud
Has anyone else had trouble with the Optimas? My first two lasted forever, but my last 34R died in no time at all (just past the warrantee period).
smontanaro
I never did anything special with my Optima. The car sits outside in an unheated garage. I think I've had the red-top for three years or so. Finally this fall the battery failed to turn the engine over when I needed it, so I brought it indoors and it's sitting on a workbench in the basement. I charged it up and it seems to be holding the charge. I suspect its days are numbered though.

S
underthetire
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 19 2010, 06:47 PM) *

Has anyone else had trouble with the Optimas? My first two lasted forever, but my last 34R died in no time at all (just past the warrantee period).

I won't use them. I went Excide Orbital this time. My brother works in a hot-rod customization/restoration shop in Dallas, and told me to avoid the red tops. Vibration kills the red-tops quick. There was a whole wright up on a 4WD magazine a while ago about it. I have a blue top in my boat, that one has been great.
Drums66
....I use interstate biggrin.gif
happy with them! flag.gif santa_smiley.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif yellowsleep[1].gif smoke.gif
GeorgeRud
I think that they used to be better, but now I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost (probably $50 - $75 over the cost of other batteries) . Interstate batteries have worked fine in my other cars, so I may look into one of those in the springtime when it's time to get the car back out of hibernation.
championgt1
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 19 2010, 06:47 PM) *

I went through three of them over the course of a year and a half. Each one returned under warranty. Last one I got my money back and bought a Bosch sealed cell battery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.