Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Purists - do you even have one non-factory part installed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Many of us on this forum like to think that our 914's are 100% original. There were some "sanctioned" aftermarket items that no one can really argue with - ski racks, ADDCO luggage racks, stripes, etc. Who has an "original" 914 with non-factory addons? Yes, I know that dealers were involved, but let's throw that under the bus. Who has something mounted on thier "original" 914 that was not provided by dealers? I have ONE thing. And I willl not part with it. It even required me to drill holes (the Horror!)
Show me yours & I'll show you mine.

Pat
bembry
Mine has dual Weber 40s. I did keep the FI parts though.

I'm on the verge of adding a dealer chrome luggage rack too (sorry Tom bye1.gif )
mepstein
You mean like this?
MDG
My '76 is the opposite of original - 3.2 engine, flares, leather interior and on and on.

But my '73, aside from a repaint back in the '80s is bone stock. In disassembling it in order to correct the previously mentioned re-paint, I did not come across a single item that didn't belong. It's been two years collecting NOS parts to replace any worn bits (thanks for the dash pad Jeff!!) and I plan on keeping it that way.

mike

P.S. - and frankly, Mr. Garvey, without pictoral proof I am not sure many here will believe that you actually drilled holes in your car . . . .
Eric_Shea
Count them...

IPB Image
MDG
I just spent an hour going through Eric's Facebook pages of that build. God how I love thee.

The car I mean - not Eric. Though I'm sure he's a great guy - I'm just sayin'.

m.
Pat Garvey
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 21 2010, 03:17 PM) *

My '76 is the opposite of original - 3.2 engine, flares, leather interior and on and on.

But my '73, aside from a repaint back in the '80s is bone stock. In disassembling it in order to correct the previously mentioned re-paint, I did not come across a single item that didn't belong. It's been two years collecting NOS parts to replace any worn bits (thanks for the dash pad Jeff!!) and I plan on keeping it that way.

mike

P.S. - and frankly, Mr. Garvey, without pictoral proof I am not sure many here will believe that you actually drilled holes in your car . . . .

Challenge accepted!

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2010, 08:59 PM) *

You mean like this?

What is the word that comes to mind.....?????

Oh yeah - "gaudy"

Does it glow in the dark?

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 21 2010, 05:02 PM) *

Count them...

IPB Image

Lost count at 8!
P
Pat Garvey
By the way, did any of you responders catch the one word that I used in the initial post question? That word was "purists".

I know that a couple of you kindly folk just love to stromberg.gif on me, and that's OK. But the post really directed at "purists". My feelings aren't hurt, but I AM waiting for a Bliz response.

If anyone wished to know about my "spats" - ask. They've been there for 30 years & have kept my rear valence perfect.
P
MDG
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 21 2010, 06:49 PM) *

If anyone wished to know about my "spats" - ask. They've been there for 30 years & have kept my rear valence perfect.
P

So after you drilled the holes . . . . did you curl up into the fetal position and rock back and forth for a few minutes? poke.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 21 2010, 06:52 PM) *

P

So after you drilled the holes . . . . did you curl up into the fetal position and rock back and forth for a few minutes? poke.gif

Nah, they're just tiny holes that I could patch if I ever wanted to. Not like drilling a massive hole for an antenna, or drilling numerous holes & re-wiring for rear fog. Actually, I guess it would be one fewer hole for the rear fog, but I just don't like it.

BTW, these "spats" were made by Colgan back in the late 70's. They are soft vinyle coated & keep the abuse of gravel contained. Don't think they've been available for quite a while.

I'll/have taken the gig for them.
P
URY914
Do you still have the plastic clutch cable stop at the tranny end? I bet most cars have upgraded to metal ones by now.
MDG
I'd like to see a pic from the other side. In the wheel-well shot above they actually look nice and tidy; very understated when compared to the average 'mud-flap'.

I like 'em.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 21 2010, 03:49 PM) *

By the way, did any of you responders catch the one word that I used in the initial post question? That word was "purists".

I know that a couple of you kindly folk just love to stromberg.gif on me, and that's OK. But the post really directed at "purists". My feelings aren't hurt, but I AM waiting for a Bliz response.

P

Hi Pat,

I like it!!!! Bling, Bling.

BTW: Merry Christmas to you and the wife.

Your 914 Buddy,

Tom
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 21 2010, 03:39 PM) *

GASP! Horror of horrors! But I am not a purist....so I can live with it. biggrin.gif

You know you could have remained faithful...I bet Mr. Hussey still has some of these.

idea.gif

mepstein

P

Pat - Not stromberg.gif just stirthepot.gif . Do you have a picture of your car that you can post? You showed some leg, now lets see what's under the dress. drooley.gif Mark
Eric_Shea
You know you could have remained faithful...I bet Mr. Hussey still has some of these.

I have a set if anyone's interested... (factory like Jeff's pic, not the aftermarket ones on that red car!) biggrin.gif

Happy to help correct your errant ways Mr. G.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 20 2010, 10:34 PM) *

Many of us on this forum like to think that our 914's are 100% original. There were some "sanctioned" aftermarket items that no one can really argue with - ski racks, ADDCO luggage racks, stripes, etc. Who has an "original" 914 with non-factory addons? Yes, I know that dealers were involved, but let's throw that under the bus. Who has something mounted on thier "original" 914 that was not provided by dealers? I have ONE thing. And I willl not part with it. It even required me to drill holes (the Horror!)
Show me yours & I'll show you mine.

Pat

I do not have any pix of them, but see them advertised on ebay for vintage Porsche fitment. New old stock.

They are damascene or engine turned kick guards that go on the bottom of the door where you may hit it with a foot getting out.

In my mind they look a little too-over-the-top.

Pre- Ricer era bling that may have found favor by some but most certainly ruined the look of an original interior.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 22 2010, 12:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 21 2010, 03:39 PM) *

GASP! Horror of horrors! But I am not a purist....so I can live with it. biggrin.gif

idea.gif

Yep, I could have had a set of those for free from an old 356 buddy (imagine THAT!), but they were so ugly. If I'd had an F-150, I woild have put them on that, but they still would have been ugly. I was just trying to spare my rear valence and chrome bumpers the ravages of rallies. Put 'em on & forgot about them, because they work.

Here's a view from the other side - yes I DID go to the Sir Andy school of phography and, yes, I do have a small oil leak.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2010, 06:44 AM) *

P

Pat - Not stromberg.gif just stirthepot.gif . Do you have a picture of your car that you can post? You showed some leg, now lets see what's under the dress. drooley.gif Mark

Buy me dinner first?
MDG
They look good. Nice and clean.

Those other monstrosities look like they came off a dump truck.
balljoint
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 21 2010, 05:06 PM) *

I just spent an hour going through Eric's Facebook pages of that build. God how I love thee.

The car I mean - not Eric. Though I'm sure he's a great guy - I'm just sayin'.

m.

Proof.
Eric_Shea
Hi Michael... wub.gif

What? confused24.gif Not that there's anything wrong with that! lol3.gif
MDG
Is Dave even allowed in this forum?
balljoint
Some days the leash is longer than others.
72914S
Got 4 on mine can you spot them?
MDG
Front spoiler. Side markers. Yellow lens fogs. Painted calipers. Painted lugs. Crested hub caps. Flared rockers with raised lettering. Rear deck spoiler.
Eric_Shea
Front spoiler. Side markers. Yellow lens fogs. Painted calipers. Painted lugs. Crested hub caps. Flared rockers with raised lettering. Rear deck spoiler.

+ Guards Red?
championgt1
Are those painted lugs or the plastic caps?
MDG
Were the 4 lug Fuchs available on '72 cars?
Jasfsmith
Body color painted bumpers. Chrome trim around windshield looks very narrow and appears not to be OEM (no corner clips). Very nicely done nonetheless.
bembry
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 29 2010, 06:24 AM) *

Also, are they still anodized? I can't tell from the pic.

Pretty car, but a lot more than 4 differences from stock here. . . . blink.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Dec 29 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Body color painted bumpers.

Barry's car is a '72 - didn't they still do the body coloured bumpers on non AP cars then? I can't remember . . . .

Regardless of all this - sweet looking car!
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 29 2010, 12:58 PM) *

Barry's car is a '72 - didn't they still do the body coloured bumpers on non AP cars then? I can't remember . . . .

Note with the Appearance Group option I think they would have been chrome bumpers. Only the "plain Jane" without pilar trim and fog lights were paint to match the body.

Someone will correct me for sure....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 29 2010, 08:24 AM) *

NO!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Dec 29 2010, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 29 2010, 12:58 PM) *

Note with the Appearance Group option I think they would have been chrome bumpers. Only the "plain Jane" without pilar trim and fog lights were paint to match the body.

Someone will correct me for sure....

In 72, you either bought the app grp, with it's chrome bumpres, fogs, sail panel trim, carpet upgrade, headliner, and 5.5 inch steel wheels.

Lots more than "four" items wrong with this car.

smg914
That guards red '72 914 also has Euro rear lenses.
smg914
Pat,
I installed those exact mud flaps on my old '70 914-6 just after having it repainted back in 1979. When I sold the car after purchasing the M471 in 2007, those rear mud flaps were still on the car. I remember when I moved from New Jersey to Atlanta and George saw them on my car, he really gave me some flack but as you know, "they are functional".
72914S
You are all right, alot more than 4. The side markers are 70 Plymouth,the window trim is Ford Ranger(I think it really matches the side trim), the lugs have caps on them,and I forgot about the (73 wheels). The color is Guards Red. I have since put the red lenses back on. The fog light are not stock but painted with a transparent yellow.That ugly groove on the front fenders have been filled. There is a BMW mirror and a Dino wheel. The rocker covers are over the steel ones. What you can`t see is the underside is all `73 + a 2056 with a side shifter. Put new floors in it and for the New Year (tomorrow )going to put the engine back in with the help of "Red Neck Racer" to bad you all live so far away Going to be beerchug.gif poke.gif beer3.gif beer.gif after the install.
MDG
Good luck with the install, Barry! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.