Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires and brake pads for street & A/X?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
parrish911
Hi, spent the last year autocrossing my '73 2 liter, as a newbie. I am running stock Mintex pads and old Pirelli P6's (195 60 15) on stock Fuchs rims. Looking to upgrade for the coming year. Will 205 50 15's fit on the Fuchs rims and clear the stock fenders? Any recommendations on better brake pads, also suitable for street use? As for tires, the car is also driven on the street, so I would prefer a dual purpose tire.

Any advice would be welcome.
PeeGreen 914
I LOVED my Toyo RA1s for the street and autocross, when I was too lazy to put on the Hoosiers.

Pads, ask Eric Shea what he thinks would be best. He's a good guy to ask. PMB Performance wink.gif
DanT
For a true street tire, the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1s are hard to beat...
Wear Rating of 200 but actually closer to 100 biggrin.gif
205s fit just fine on a 5.5" Fuchs.
Porterfield R4-Ss are great street/AX pad...not a lot of noise and not dusty either. smile.gif

205x50x15 Dunlops on polished 5.5" Fuchs... driving.gif driving.gif
sixaddict
Jon:
Just picked up set of RA1s for track....How much did you give up to A-6s when you were lazy?
Thx
Terry
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 22 2010, 11:03 AM) *

I LOVED my Toyo RA1s for the street and autocross, when I was too lazy to put on the Hoosiers.

Pads, ask Eric Shea what he thinks would be best. He's a good guy to ask. PMB Performance wink.gif

grantsfo
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 22 2010, 11:33 AM) *

For a true street tire, the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1s are hard to beat...
Wear Rating of 200 but actually closer to 100 biggrin.gif
205s fit just fine on a 5.5" Fuchs.
Porterfield R4-Ss are great street/AX pad...not a lot of noise and not dusty either. smile.gif

205x50x15 Dunlops on polished 5.5" Fuchs... driving.gif driving.gif

I second Dans reccomendation
parrish911
Click to view attachment

Thanks to all for the advice and the pics. Pic of my car for those that might be interested. The car is still more capable than the driver.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 22 2010, 01:52 PM) *

Jon:
Just picked up set of RA1s for track....How much did you give up to A-6s when you were lazy?
Thx
Terry
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 22 2010, 11:03 AM) *

On an AX run I'd say about a second. Maybe 1.5. There were times when I'd switch to the RA1s for "fun runs" and run almost the same time.
DanT
QUOTE(parrish911 @ Dec 22 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks to all for the advice and the pics. Pic of my car for those that might be interested. The car is still more capable than the driver.

Let me give you a little background on the Dunlops...
they have been out for a while now.
In our classing structure here in GGR (Norcal PCA region) we have a points system for many car modifications...
Points are awarded to various tires depending on there wear ratings...
200 WR and above get 0 points.
Many folks have been running the Dunlops on 911s, 912, 996s and Boxster/Cayman with great success.
Good turn in response, good lateral grip and wear very well for a performance tire.
Heat up quickly and can handle several runs in a row (reruns) without going greasy.
I have run them in two events so far with a total of about 20 minutes of AXing along with about 3,000 miles of street driving...they will easily last all of next AX season (8-10 events) and street duty.
jjackson
QUOTE(parrish911 @ Dec 21 2010, 11:25 AM) *

Hi, spent the last year autocrossing my '73 2 liter, as a newbie. I am running stock Mintex pads and old Pirelli P6's (195 60 15) on stock Fuchs rims. Looking to upgrade for the coming year. Will 205 50 15's fit on the Fuchs rims and clear the stock fenders? Any recommendations on better brake pads, also suitable for street use? As for tires, the car is also driven on the street, so I would prefer a dual purpose tire.

We have run a lot of different brake pads,mintex,jurids,ferodos etc.-The best braking we have ever experienced with a 914 is Carbo Tech pads. J
jjackson
QUOTE(parrish911 @ Dec 21 2010, 11:25 AM) *

By the way-You do not need pads near as much as you neeeeed tires.J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.