Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: end cap install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eastbay851
hi all. i have a bit of a modified 75.... 13b rotary, 911 front end, scraped and filled, camera-monitor system in place of rear views and i am now stumped.... silly i know. after re-upholstering the door panels i went to install the new (914rubber) door/window end caps and cannot do it. the window glass is in the way of the inside screw. do i have to drop the window assembly to install these 2 insignificant widgets? you could probably sense my frustration. this is like traveling across the pacific to finally getting to hawaii and the tide is out so you can t dock and you have to walk the last 200 yards(meters for you euros.) thanks for your help.
76-914
IIRC, you can loosen the regulator enough to drop the window out of the way. I think that f*&^%ng little phillips screw was a major PITA.
r_towle
no need to drop it.
Need less coffee, better light and glasses...
You can do it.

Rich
markb
A slightly magnetic screwdriver helps a lot, too.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Mark hit it. No reason to drop anything. You can roll down the window and access the inner channel screw with a magnetic phillips screw driver through the hole in the fuzzy window channel. It is easy and should take ten minutes (if you are slow) to change both!!!!!
Of course the small outer screw is a piece of cake.

QUOTE(eastbay851 @ Dec 21 2010, 12:14 PM) *

hi all. i have a bit of a modified 75.... 13b rotary, 911 front end, scraped and filled, camera-monitor system in place of rear views and i am now stumped.... silly i know. after re-upholstering the door panels i went to install the new (914rubber) door/window end caps and cannot do it. the window glass is in the way of the inside screw. do i have to drop the window assembly to install these 2 insignificant widgets? you could probably sense my frustration. this is like traveling across the pacific to finally getting to hawaii and the tide is out so you can t dock and you have to walk the last 200 yards(meters for you euros.) thanks for your help.

eastbay851
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 21 2010, 03:08 PM) *

no need to drop it.
Need less coffee, better light and glasses...
You can do it.

Rich

i can do the light and the glasses but no coffee? that s just cruel. i m 57 with a prostate the size of a cantaloupe. it takes me 4 cops of coffee just to get my boxers off in the morning... AFTER showering in them.
Mikey914
If you can post some pictures, maybe something different we haven't seen before is going on here. Collectively, maybe we can figure out a solution for you.
-mark
eastbay851
look doc, i m sure you are the best ever but do you really want to tell a guy who has done a full roto conversion and all that entails that "...It is easy and should take ten minutes...?" seems if it were easy i would have done it that way eh? anyway.... thanks everybody who tried to help. i just bit the bullet and dropped both window mechanisms and installed the screw. it should be mentioned that i had rebuilt the window mechs. and re-installed the windows and the entire structure was very well adjusted (re: no give in any direction) prior to looking at these end caps. dropping the window mechanisms and installing the screws took "ten minutes." i just can t believe that these things were mass produced with the end caps going in first. i would have thought that all rubber would go on last. thanks again everybody.
windforfun
I cut perfect rectangular slots in mine so I wouldn't have to remove the inside screw. It's not exactly stock, but the screw is difficult to keep hold of even with a magnetic driver. FYI & have a nice day.
EdwardBlume
Its a nice piece. I installed these on mine after reassembling the door and while its a PITA, you can do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.