Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
I am researching front sway installation. Read the tech article on the Pelican site which described bolting the U tab to the A-arm. I was wondering if this is a common technique or if welding is preferred? Can the tabs be installed without removing the A-arms from the car?
john rogers
I did the tabs on my race car this way and it lasted over 10 years of vintage racing. Be sure to use grade 8 or better bolts and lock nuts. I did it with the A-arms on the car.
Eric_Shea
You can weld them on the car. I like the cleaner look but as John says...either way works if done properly.
Grelber
I bolted mine on a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems. Didn't have to take the A-arms off either.
Sailor
Thanks all! I will probably bolt my tabs on since I don't have a welder or a clue how to use one. Couple more questions come to mind. What is the proper size bolt to use and how do you locate the tabs on the a-arm? The tech article mentions 5 1/8" from the ball joint, not sure if that is referencing the center or edge of the joint. Is the distance critical or is it just necessary for both sides to be consistent?
SLITS
Each tab should be equidistant on the "A" arm so that the bar is loaded equally side to side. If they are different distances from the ball joint, the amount of force applied to twisting the bar would be unequal.

The 5 1/8" is probably from the center of the ball joint. I would have to grab and arm and measure it to be absolutely sure.
Jeff Hail
Hi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.