Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear swingarm question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Tom

Frohe Weihnachten zusammen...

one littel question about the rear swing arm.
i had some brand new DELRIN bushings for my rear swing ar, BUT the are to 'big'. This means, if i Mout everything togeher, the rear Axel stands 0.5 - 0.8 mm back.
When mountet to the car it clamps the Bushings, not he axel, the swingarm moves around the Bushings not around the Axel.
Is this a Problem ?

TOM

rfuerst911sc
I'm no expert but I believe the bushing should rotate around the axle. From what I have read most of the nylon/delrin/plastic type bushings need to be " fitted " to each application. I'm sure others will chime in with opinions/suggestions. Good luck.
brant
yes its a problem
and it will change your effective spring rate and overall handling if not addressed.

as stated above, custom fitting is required as part of the installation
I've always added zerk fittings and grease channels also as part of my installations.

brant
914Tom

ok, thanks guys,

a friend of mine got a lathe, i think i will meet him soon with a 6pack *g*
get it shortet and a graese groof.

happy holliday together.

TOM
Eric_Shea
It is common for the aftermarket bushings to stand about 1mm "tall".

Take a large file or belt sander to each one until the pivot shaft is exposed beyond the bushing on each side. Do not mill off too much or you can have lateral movement. Just enough for the engagement teeth to work as they are suppose to when the assembly is properly torqued to spec.
914Tom
Oh, me an a file on *g* a lathe is more accurat i think.
my plan is to mesure and bring them to pefect length
i think about 0.01 pivot shaft exposing.
also a grease groof in the middle with a nipple to the outside.
btw, what grase to use on delrin ?
back in the days i learnd that delrin is 'self greasing' and needs no grase.

TOM
Eric_Shea
Lathe... better yet. I'm not familiar with Delrin properties as to how it reacts to petroleums etc. Maybe Ed can weigh in. CFR uses Delrin on their bushings.
brant
I've been using mobil 1 synthetic for about 15 years now one one car. I don't know that it is absolutely the way to go, but it hasn't had any compatability problems or break down of the bushings yet.

I've had the bushings out once about 3 years ago and they still looked fine.

so if you don't find out more accurate information, at least it will work.
brant
dirk9141973
confused24.gif confused24.gif
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *

I've been using mobil 1 synthetic for about 15 years now one one car. I don't know that it is absolutely the way to go, but it hasn't had any compatability problems or break down of the bushings yet.

I've had the bushings out once about 3 years ago and they still looked fine.

so if you don't find out more accurate information, at least it will work.
brant

It takes some time to make it fit each one is a little different I as put in grease fitting and make it move easly unless you go brass fitting great fix
ejm
Delrin has natural lubricity and really doesn’t need grease but the metal it rides on needs corrosion protection. It is used for gears and fuel system components and is unaffected by petroleum based lubricants. To the OP, I would make sure the bushings truly are delrin as bushing made of some other material may need a specific lubricant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.