Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bump steer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I put Turbo tie rods on awhile ago and haven't driven her too much until I can get the U-tabs welded on and install my front sway bar. Then off to get an alignment.

I lowered the front and took a drive today. She was bouncing all over the place. Is this Bump Steer? I took a drive prior to lowering and she did not bounce like this.

Does anyone have a bump steer kit they want to sell me? Please let me know. Thanks for the help.
Dave_Darling
The bouncing is dead shocks, or shocks unable to deal with the new ride height and/or spring rate. Most likely.

Bump-steer is where the steering wheel wants to yank itself out of your hands when you go over a bump with the front wheels. Technically, it has to do with the change in toe angle as the suspension compresses, but the symptoms are that the car steers itself and tries to pull the wheel out of your hands when going over a bump.

--DD
415PB
Thanks Dave. Great, now I need some new shocks. Well, I was going to buy some new springs for the rear, might as well just do front and rear. Will this ever end?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(415PB @ Apr 25 2004, 06:11 AM)
Great, now I need some new shocks. Well, I was going to buy some new springs for the rear, might as well just do front and rear.

If it's lowered too far and bottoming out, the new shocks won't help. Raise it up a bit and see if that helps the problem.

Will this ever end?

No...
Eric_Shea
Will this ever end?

biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif confused24.gif

Are you KIDDING?

That should be the name of the club! w00t.gif
Gint
agree.gif biggrin.gif DD gave a very good description of bump steer.
415PB
Okay, I went out and pushed down on the passenger side fender and it sprung back up. I went to the drivers side fender and couldn't even push down. It wouldn't budge. Could this be my problem and how can I tell if the shocks are bad? Thanks for the help.
RocknRollFrenzy
Yep, thats probably your problem. you're getting no suspension travel on one side, which will make for a super bumpy ride. Quikie shock test: push down on one corner of the car. if it rebounds nice and smoothly and comes to a rest, you're gravy. if it it bounces up and down a few times, you probalby need new shocks.
Mark Henry
Sounds like the bottom of your shock is seized.

You wanted a new set of billy's or koni's anyways, right? smile.gif
415PB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 26 2004, 09:42 AM)
Sounds like the bottom of your shock is seized.

You wanted a new set of billy's or koni's anyways, right? smile.gif

I will take this opportunity to tell the wife that the shocks are no good and I need new ones, thank you all for enlightening me, especially you Mark for giving me this great idea laugh.gif
d7n7master
There is a procedure for setting ride height. Follow the procedure & you will have a car that sits too high in the front (stock...) But it's a really good starting point - then adjust 1/2 turns (each side) from there until it's either as low as you want it or the front end bounces too much over even small bumps. If it bounces, re-adjust in 1/4 turns 'til the bouncing just stops. Worked for me.
Good Luck,
415PB
Damn, I love your avatar man. Thanks
thesey914
agree.gif :Avatar
Lovely 914 too
Rgreen914
QUOTE(415PB @ Apr 26 2004, 12:20 PM)
Damn, I love your avatar man. Thanks

I love it too, but it's soooooo distracting from the text of the message!!! Oh...there's a car in the picture?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.