Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has used the 4 engine bar to mount a 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I bought a 6 motor that used the 4 mounting bar to install the 6 into the 4 chassis!

For the quick install and drive on my 6 I am thinking of mounting it using this system untill I can find what I need to do it right!

Does anyone have any experience with doing it this way?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The so called "quick six" mounting kit used the original 914 -4 mounting pods and was a quick down and dirty solution but not recommended. Besides lowering the ground clearance and making it impossible to drop the shift rod without disconnecting the mount, the pods interfered with six valve adjustment and valve cover removal and worst of all moved the center of balance backwards making the car more tail happy.
Easy solutions are the single or dual bulkhead mount similar to the way the factory originally mounted the engine. Although it has to be welded in it is not hard to do.

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 22 2010, 11:18 AM) *

I bought a 6 motor that used the 4 mounting bar to install the 6 into the 4 chassis!

For the quick install and drive on my 6 I am thinking of mounting it using this system untill I can find what I need to do it right!

Does anyone have any experience with doing it this way?

carr914
Patrick Motorsports makes a Bulkhead mount that bolts to the Firewall, but I would do the weld in version

Don't use that PoS -4 mount with a bolt-on head piece
Jeffs9146
worst of all moved the center of balance backwards making the car more tail happy

It looks like the blue plate was how the PO was able to move the motor forward about 3"-4" but it doesn't look as strong as a direct mount to the bar!
Steve
I used a quick six bar with headers with my first six conversion back in 1986. It worked fine with headers and I did not have any problems. The quick six bar was a complete motor mount and bar that used the early motor mounts and stock four pods. The picture you showed looks pretty scarey and is not a quick six bar. I also replaced the bar with a Richard Johnson firewall mount for all the reasons stated in this post.
Jeffs9146
I do plan on doing the weld in method but I need to get this running as quick as possible! If only to make sure the motor is good without spending a bunch of money! If the motor ends up having a problem I will go with a big 4!
carr914
Jeff, You might be able to use that to see if the motor is any good, But I wouldn't drive around the block shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 22 2010, 10:58 AM) *
You might be able to use that to see if the motor is any good,

agree.gif

For testing purposes, this should work. But i wouldn't drive it much ... Do you have AAA? biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Do you have AAA?

Gotta love AAA beer.gif
GeorgeRud
I had a Quick-Six bar untill I got the Richard Johnson mount, and it worked fine. I did have headers so it wasn't a real issue for me. It seemed that spreading the load of the engine weight wasn't that bad a way to deal with the conversion, but not as nice as some of the other options now available.

I'd also be careful on using the mount you pictured for any length of time.
SLITS
I had one ... changed it to an RJ quickly. I'll give you the one I have (I think I still have it).
moparrob
If you simply want to test the engine just rig up a test stand on an empty tranny or one of those nifty starter rings I see on the Pelican site. In fact I bought one I haven't had a chance to use yet...

IPB Image

http://www.zalexindustries.com/index.html
Jeffs9146
Thanks for the info!

I have headers so the quick six shouldn't be a problem! I am a bit leary of the one that I have but since it hangs over the 4 bar the engine wouldnt fall even if the plate failed!

I'll give you the one I have (I think I still have it).

OK how much to 94505?

I have an engine run stand but I don't know anything about the trans so it will be just as easy to install it and see all at once!
r_towle
I am always shopping for a six.
What did you get, and how much did you pay for it?

I am just trying to find a deal and that number changes frequently.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.