Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good buy or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
webbpinner
I got the opportunity to buy a '74 1.8L. The car has only had two owners (my father bought it new, sold it to the neighbor after 14 years). Mechanically it looks great and the current owner always had it serviced at the "good" VW/Porsche shop in the area.

The car is 99% original, it still has the Bosch FI, the engine was rebuilt 12k miles ago. The car has not been on the road in 2 years but is started and run around the block every 2 months. It has spent all of it's life in VA, outside and was stored under a cover for only the last 10 years. It was a daily driver for 25+ years.

Mechanically I believe the car to be in good shape but I know to have it checked out before making any purchase.

Cosmetically I consider the car to be just below average as the paint will need a serious buffing job and the seats needs all new vinyl. (the dash, door panels and capet look good) 75% of the chrome trim and ALL of the rubber needs to be replaced.

My main concern is the body. It's got some rot. Multiple 1/8" and smaller holes in the bottom seams of both doors, the battery tray is all-but-gone, the left rear suspension mount (below the battery tray) has rusted through in spots but is still structurally sound. Big (3") rust damage behind passenger door latch striker plate, will require cutting out and replacement. 1" rust spot where passenger side roll bar meets door opening. Rear trunk has minor surface rust, front trunk has even less. There are a few bubbles thoughout the car, all appear to be surface rust and nothing I would call major.

There are two 2" diameter holes in the passenger floor pan and most of the seams under the car show moderate bleeding rust/minor rot. Overall the entire underside of the car could use some TLC but with the exception of the two holes mentioned earlier I believe the car is solid. Didn't notice the "run-for-your-lives body flex" mentioned on some sites as the 914 kiss of death.

The price: $3700.

There's obviously sentimental attachment as I was raised in the floor boards of this car. The car has had a good life (~275k miles) and concerdering it spent most of it's life as a daily driver I think it has faired remarkably well. The real question is: is it worth saving this car or trying to find a better example. My budget for the car including purchase price is 10k. I've seen some really nice cars in the classifed ads for 12-15k which make me wonder if I should pay the extra money and avoid the trouble of saving "dad's little green car" but then again, I am a bit of a hopeless romantic and I've always had a soft spot for these little targas.

I'm looking for those devil's advocates and realists to respond. I'm hoping to get some real world stories on what I might be in for. How hard will it be to locate replacement sheet metal, new rubber and trim? Do the problems I listed hint at larger problems? Is it better to buy a 914 with a clean body vs working running gear? All advice/warnings welcomed and appreciated.

- W
G e o r g e
need to see pics of the "rust spots" sounds like the price is to high, but it was your fathers new.......... that's worth a few duckets right therehow many is up to you. tough call. offer less and bring it back home.
Kirmizi
Pictures would help. That being said, you've got plenty of local help there to really go through the car with you, and see what it needs. biggrin.gif
Mike
KELTY360
welcome.png

Pictures would help, but what you're describing hints that there is way more rust than meets the eye. There are many stories on this site of people who saw some rust but thought is was still 'structurally sound', only to discover major trouble.

Best advice would be to get a PPI from someone here who can truly evaluate the condition. Just start a thread stating where the car is and that you need a PPI. Someone will respond.

If you've got $10k to spend you can get a nice 914 in the current market. I get the connection to this particular car, but sentimentality can get pretty spendy in a hurry. The key thing is to get a car to enjoy, like your father did. Good luck.
shoguneagle
You know the car and have family history. Sheet metal can be replaced IF you are willing to learn new skills, etc. There are enough experienced people who can help you through it. With all that said, the important items does involve rust, salt, storage, and related like.

You must make sure that you understand where the rust is prohibitive: have someone experience, if you are not, do an evaluation. Look at everything with him and try to understand where the rust is and what it is doing to the car.

Some areas: hell holes, longs, floor boards inside car, drains, windshield, foot wells and firewalls, etc.

Evaluate for the value of $3,700 and figure any costs into it on top of that figure.

Best wishes and hope you can save another "Teener".

Steve Hurt
Tom_T
W - first ..... welcome.png

Next, think of me as "your Dad" in your scenario, as I've owned my 73 914-2.0 since I bought it used in 12/75, drove it as my DD until 5/85, then stored it until now. I'm starting to do repairs & resto, which will cost way more than in sane to get it back to "as new" condition. I'd spent $6500+ in 80-83 ($20k+ in today's dollars) to do a "rolling resto" - including: body/rustoration/repaint, engine & transaxle overhaul, replace susp. bushings & 4 new Koni shocks, etc., so that it was sound while I went back to grad school in 84-86. However, it got whacked while parked in the UCLA parking structure, and I stored it in good condition excepting the F&R accident damage (the ditzy gal "forgot to turn left & go up the ramp" - her words, & pushed it 2 ft. into the concrete column/wall getting both ends, for another $6500 to repair. Due to it being the start of finals/MBA papers, getting remarried that Aug., running my business, etc. - I had to get another car immediately with the insurance, leaving the future repair costs on my tab - so it sat while I raised a family 25+ years.

Although it went in my dry SoCal garage clean & rust free, it managed to rot some anyway, and now my repair/rustoration costs surely exceed what a sane person would put into it. But I have the emotional attachment to it, and am pressing ahead, finding the parts, money, time, etc. to get her back to nice & drivable condition. My personal rust-bucket comes to me free" - the costs long ago being "sunk costs" - as opposed to your "personal project" costing you $3700. If I were buying my 914 for that price - with no other emotional attachments & knowing what I did put into it already (as far as those old repairs are still viable) - then I would probably walk away. shades.gif

I can just about guaranty you that every one of those small rust bubbles on your Dad's old 914 will end up being major areas of rust rot needing to be cut out & replaced once you get down to bare metal - in addition to the major holes you've noted. This may run into anything from small patches to full replacement panels, depending on the full damage at these spots (ScottyB on here is in VA with a body shop doing 914s etc., & can look it over for you).

IMHO - if you want to take it on as a personal quest to restore your Dad's old 914 (talk to RobW on here about his Dad's 914), then you need to get that car for FREE or very little, because it will easily cost you far more than it's worth to repair it. I'd guess that you could spend $10-15k+ on bodywork, and another $5-10k on the paint job, plus misc. on bits for the body, interior, running gear, etc. - so $3700 does not sound justified, as your Dad's neighbor/seller will soon discover trying to sell a car kept outdoors in the roughest of weather for decades & with high mileage.

Otherwise, you're better off getting a better 914 - preferably a 73-74 2.0 or 914-6 without all the body problems, but still plan to spend some coin over the coming years on even the "seemingly best" 914 you can find for your budget.

You'll need to realistically assess your time, budget (then double or triple it), interests, perseverance & what you really want out of a 914, and whether you really want to "redux" your Dad's 914. idea.gif
mepstein
Besides the 914 that I'm having restored at Scotty B's, I'm taking apart a '75 and learning allot about these cars. I'm stripping it to a bare shell so I've had the chance to really look in the nooks and crannies. It has rust in some of the normal places and other spots that I would not have guessed. There are some rust areas that looked good when I first saw the car and didn't make themselves known until I went at them very aggressively with a screwdriver. I'm pretty sure that happens when the panel rusts from the inside out. Hard to take a screwdriver to a car until your the new owner.

I don't quite agree with the post above, you're probably not going to get the car for free and even if you pay more than the going rate, it's probably not that much % wise compared to how much we all spend on these cars to get them the way we want. You could find a car with a great body but then be into it for big money rebuilding the engine and trans. You also have to figure in what your time is worth in search of the holy grail/rust free 914. I do agree that talking to Scotty B is a good move but even his trained eye can be thwarted by the rust monster. I think you might go over your initial 10k budget if the car needs serious work but you have to decide if 10 years down the road the extra money is worth having it sit in your garage. You might not get a second chance to get the car that sounds like it is an important part of your life.

PS - My car at Scott's was my first car, purchased 26 years ago and even though it is costing big $ for a proper rustoration, I'm glad I have the opportunity.

PPS - If your trying to get a deal on the car, don't just talk price over the phone, show up in person with cash in hand.

ATMO,
Mark
bandjoey
From what you describe, probably $3K in repair to the body and paint if you do it... sad.gif

See this thread. Digging Into Hell
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

So, it comes down to family I Have To vs. finding a good rust free car for $3-4k

Either way we'll help.
welcome.png
r_towle
NO!

I can help you find a car that may be a much better value.

Rich
Mike Bellis
I think you will get over the sentimental value after a while. Us guys from the Left Coast are a little spoiled. We have cars with far less rust than in the East. From what you describe, you are getting into a can of worms. Major rust repair. That price is too high for the amount of rust. Find a better car to start with or get that car for less than $1k.
dflesburg
If you strip it, and have it dipped, the truth will come.

Sounds to me like lots of problems. I personally draw the line at any car that has any damage to the suspension areas. JMO.
EdwardBlume
Dad's car was a "DNR" (do not repair)... I have no regrets...
campbellcj
I have said it many times before and it may apply here -- even a "free" 914 can end up being an expensive or even economically insane proposition.

Rusty cars can be OK for guys into that sort of project and who can do virtually ALL of the work themselves - fabricating and welding included. That excludes many or most of us amateur DIY'ers here.

Be very deliberate about your decision, and don't let emotions get the best of you...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.