Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ReTorque the Nuts When?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I installed new rear Bilstein shocks. I torqued the top shock nuts in the trunk per Bilstein specs 45lbs while the lower swing arm was being held up by the floor jack. Now I have a few miles on the car, should that nut be re-torqued with the wheel on the ground?

Also, how does anyone torque the lower shock bolt nut on the swing arm? I used the Air Force method...force it arm tight it and 3 wacks with a BFH. Other ways?
JoeSharp
Hey Bill, off hand I couldn't say but I know that info is here somewhere.
Ah here there are

bottom 72 - 87
top 34 - 43
I have never had one come lose...
jt914-6
Bill....You can re-torque the top nuts if you wish. I'd do it. Is it a nylock nut? After you tighten/check it put some paint on the nut/threads. You'll see if it loosens up.
Also...I think you should tighen the lower shock bolts/nuts with the car on the ground. If you tighen them with the tires off the ground you'll preload them in that position on the trailing arm. Just my thoughts on that. Yes, your Air Force method should work...You are using a lock washer on the nuts I assume....
bandjoey
Bilstein install sheet showed top at 45 - close enough to factory. I don't have any way to torque the bottom. It's just jam up tight. I compared the Umph level to the same as the lug nuts on my wheels.
and Yep JT. Big harry nut and lock washer that came with the car. Thanks.
campbellcj
Sounds like Santa needs to bring you a 1/2"-drive torque wrench smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.