Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Benchtop front suspension assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I have finally found some time to work on the car. So I've been out in the garage putting suspension parts back together. Most things are going pretty well. I am at a point of assembling the torsion bar adjusting levers. It looks like the position (angle) of the A-arm in relation to the support bar when I install the levers will have an impact on the ride height of the car. I sure would like to get it right the first time if possible.

Can I assemble the adjusting levers with the suspension not yet installed on the car and expext to get it close enough to be able to properly adjust the ride height after the suspension is on the car? If so, what should I measure/estimate?

Here is a pic of the assembly so far.
Doug Leggins
If I follow the Haynes manual instructions, I think the a-arms should be angled like in this pic before installing the adjusting levers.

Any guidance on how to proceed?

Thanks
Gint
It doesn't matter all that much. When you get the suspension on the car, it will be really easy to re-index the torsion bar caps since they are all shiny, clean and powder coated. It's harder to explain than it is to do. It's easy, really. Just slap the caps on for now with the a-arms parallel or angled downward ever so slightly.
Rusty
Smoke chrome powdercoat. Very sexy. wub.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Jeroen
What Rich said... adjusting it is very easy and best done when mounted on the car
The fresh powdercoated parts look VERY GOOD clap56.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Gint
Hi. My name is Rich, and I own a 914...

You OK Jeroen?
Eric_Shea
He got you mixed up with Richie Ginther... it's a good thing. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Oh... and sorry... need to add some content to the thread.

What they said. You need to get the struts mounted up to them to see the final "drop" position. Then you mount the cap. So... just bolt the ole suspension up and do it when it's on the car.
Jeroen
Crap! Sorry Gint!

Note to self: don't post before you had coffee headbang.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.