Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It was about dang time!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
About a year and a half ago, I stripped the car for body and paint. all the way to the metal.

I was a HUGE process since it was the first time I had ever done that type of work. sand and fill, sand and fill. I have MAD respect for the body and fender guy's.

I still have some work to do, like the front and rear valences, rockers and interior.

The Teener came out great.

For the rist time in a year and a half, I got to drive it yesterday piratenanner.gif Did a 40 round trip to Bass pro in Manteca.

Man! it was a great feeling! All the old smells of the teener, you know, fuel, exaust, all the quirks..HAHA, It was like hooking up with a model, looks great on the outside but bitchy and emotional inside..LOL

Actually the car ran great! Yep it was a good feeling

PICS. TO FOLLOW

brp986s
Grats! aktion035.gif Your teener will soon thank you with a snapped CV joint or baffling fuse #9 issue.
type47
QUOTE(brp986s @ Dec 23 2010, 08:52 AM) *

Grats! aktion035.gif Your teener will soon thank you with a snapped CV joint or baffling fuse #9 issue.

... vacuum leak or "squealing" noise ...
EdwardBlume
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Congrats! The cool part is that YOU did the work!
Drums66
.....More power to you!(2056) poke.gif
bye1.gif driving.gif
orange914
driving.gif cool, stop by and show us the paint, it's a good excuse for a short drive.

interior done?
toon1
Thank's guy's,

The valances and the rockers are going to have to wait for now.

I'm in the process of getting the 5 lug upgrade done and the westerns are gone. I have a set of boxster wheels that are waiting to go on.

Mike the interior is going to be next ( after duck season, a mans gotta have his priorities biggrin.gif ).

Here are some pics.
toon1
2more
toon1
I shot the car with 2 stage, Omni base coat/clear coat. I was able to get 3 coats of clear with the omni clear coat.

I wanted a little more protection after the cut and buff stage so I sanded the clear with 600 and added 4 more coats of clear.

For the additional 4 coats I used a product called Omi-cron. It was $176 for the 2 parts and made almost 2 gallons total.

The product is great, It mixed easy and was VERY easy to shoot.

I waited 6 weeks to do the final cut and buff and that was too long, I should have done it within 24-48hrs while the clear was still soft. It would have definitly made a diffrerence on the final outcome.

Those are the live and learn things associated with the first time.

Overall I'm happy with it. biggrin.gif
brp986s
Your car looks great. The Westerns look great. But, boxster wheels? None of them look that good even on boxsters. IMHO ofcourse. Here's hoping you'll have a change of heart on that. Are the hubs that allow mounting vented discs/M calipers still available?
underthetire
Looks good ! I vote for the Boxter wheels myself.
MoveQik
QUOTE(brp986s @ Dec 23 2010, 02:49 PM) *
But, boxster wheels? None of them look that good even on boxsters. IMHO ofcourse. Here's hoping you'll have a change of heart on that.

Dude...the guy says he has them ready to put on then you basically question him and say they look like crap? Obviously he bought them because he likes them, why trash his opinion in his own thread?

I would beg to differ.... biggrin.gif I love the Boxter wheels but I kept my Fuchs as well in case I ever have a change of heart.

I say put the Boxter wheels on!

IPB Image
Cairo94507
Toon1:
Nice work. I see the 3rd brake light on the engine lid, does the duck tail spoiler block it from the rear or is it still visible?
Thanks.
TC 914-8
Hey Toon1, Good work, the color looks good. Do you have any before picts?
I hapen to notice you live in Tracy Ca. I'll be working at the Winco Tues -Wed. If you have a chance bring her by Im always up for a teener break when I'm working.
I'll shoot you a PM with my #
Tony
PanelBilly
So nice. Are you doing the rockers, ect in the body color too or black? I like the idea of letting the clear sit for a while and shrink back, but it makes for harder sanding. I am worried about the omni going on after you let the car sit. The are specific open windows on time between coat for the best adhesion. They ate closer to 10 to 30 minutes between coats nattering what layer it is. At this point, time will tell us how important thw window is
arkitect
The paint looks really good, Omni paint... I'll have to think about that for my repaint. Was thinking of using Duplicolor's acrylic lacquer paint system they have in all the auto parts houses...but don't know the longevity of it.

Dave
BuddyV
Toon.... I live near Santa Rosa... let's meet somewhere in the middle for a drive sometime.
driving-girl.gif
drunk.gif
beerchug.gif

Krieger
Great job!
Lennies914
Lookin really good. Do you have any before shots?. Can't wait to see it at one of our local meets. beerchug.gif
toon1
Thank's again Guy's.

Cairo94507: Yep, you can still see the brake light, These cars are so low, the car behind is looking down on the back... even if they where on a small Honda it would still be visable.

Panelbilly: I am going with black on the valances and Rockers( They will be done after Duck seson...HEHE) All the Omni material(base and clear) where shot on the same day. I sprayed the Omi-Cron Clear About 3 months after(after last Duck season...HEHE). The Omni products had plenty of time to cure. I wish I would have sanded the Omni clear with a 320 or 400 instead of 600 before laying down the Omi-cron.

I felt the same way you do, wait til it hardens before cutting and buffing. I was worried about burning though. BUT, the info states to cut and buff 24-48 hours after shooting.

Here's what I found, sanding was not a prob.. When I started the buffing process, I was having a hard time getting the sand scratches out.In turn, this made little ripples in the final finish that I think would not be there if I did it within 24-48hrs.

This was confirmed by the guy I bought the material from. Live and learn.

arkitect: Omni paint is great for the DIY'r or first timer. It's really easy to mix and shoot and fairly cheap. I had a little experience with painting but never painted a car. I shot all the jambs and underside of the lids to get familiar with it and get the gun setup and away I went. The base coat dries real fast so if there are any runs they can be taken care of before the clear goes down. It's hard to run the base coat, it's real forgiving.

Dan's Autobody in Manteca has all the supplies, good prices too. they are only 20min. from you.

I will try to get some before shots up, I had to wipe my computer and all the pics are on another hard drive and I need to get them off of there......and I suck at computers
arkitect
Thanks for the info. Will have to check them out.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.