Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
00SEVEN
Have the chance to purchase a complete 1981 3.0 eng for $500. The bad, will need complete overhaul. The good have a freind that is a Porsche Master Tech that will assist with rebuild. What you all think, go for it ?
SLITS
Good motor ... just bring money
Dr Evil
Well, ya.
silver74insocal
ABOLUTLEY NOT!!! ...now whats that guys #? biggrin.gif
sww914
I'm assuming that you've priced normal rebuild parts already. That's the only real downside of ALL of the 6 cylinders IMO, the part prices. These are not small block Chevys and the prices prove it.
The 3.0 is a good engine. They may have broken head studs but you're planning a rebuild. Plan to replace them.
My labor times guide says 61.0 hours to rebuild a 3.0 including R & I. Surprised me.
00SEVEN
Yor not kiding, most expensive part of rebuild will be new pistons & cylinders @ $2600. I'll be able to get all parts for rebuild @ cost, & no labor will be charged, nice to have friends that run a independant Porsche repair facility.
RJMII
then yeah, go for it. parts@ cost, no labor, and a PMT watching over your shoulder.

RickS
How can you lose at that rate? You might want to ditch the CIS and go with Webers on PMO risers with the money you save.

one thing you didn't state is if you are replacing an existing 4 or 6. If you are converting to a 6 be prepared to shell out a fair bit more for all the conversion hardware.
00SEVEN
Converting a 4, CIS being converted to FI w/megasquirt. Forgot to mention, they also are about the only Porsche salvage facility in the state so I have access to about anything at great prices. They autocross, tune & have worked on Porsches sinse the 70's. Since they are freinds they are really up front w/me on the cost/time involved on the eng build & conversion. Truth be told they were interestd in geting their kids involved in autocrossing, & I happened to have a race kart they were interested in, so I'm practically geting the engine for free.
sixnotfour
And Thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ? $$$$$
Mikey914
You can't go wrong. Even if you changed your mind, you could easily sell it for what you have into it. You know you want to happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
You get the motor for $500. A mechanic that won't charge any labor. You get the parts at cost. You have access to a Porsche salvage yard. Excuse me but what the f**k was the question again?
00SEVEN
I have given the conversion thing alot of thougt, ( suby,V8 ). I can't find it in my heart to bastardize a porsche, guess I'm brand loyal. Was talking to another owner at their shop, who autocros's a 914-6, said he ran a 4 for several years, he finally upgraded & told me I would not regret it, Ive owned several porsches and and understand the cost involved in porsche ownership, always wanted a 911 but could never afford it. In my mind this is the next best thing. I will retire from the military after 24 years of service and need something to keep me busy anyway.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(00SEVEN @ Dec 24 2010, 01:05 AM) *

I have given the conversion thing alot of thougt, ( suby,V8 ). I can't find it in my heart to bastardize a porsche, guess I'm brand loyal. Was talking to another owner at their shop, who autocros's a 914-6, said he ran a 4 for several years, he finally upgraded & told me I would not regret it, Ive owned several porsches and and understand the cost involved in porsche ownership, always wanted a 911 but could never afford it. In my mind this is the next best thing. I will retire from the military after 24 years of service and need something to keep me busy anyway.

There are a coupleoflocalguys in your area on here, jt_9146 and pcar914(probably got both names spelled wrong) but Jt has the 3.0 in his car. I used to hang out in Cabot til I got tired of the girl I was seeing.(she wanted to get married, had to cut her loose). She is now on city council though if ya need any help. I will be over that way Saturday for Christmas but I doubt I will drive my teener.

welcome.png
00SEVEN
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 24 2010, 01:24 AM) *

QUOTE(00SEVEN @ Dec 24 2010, 01:05 AM) *

There are a coupleoflocalguys in your area on here, jt_9146 and pcar914(probably got both names spelled wrong) but Jt has the 3.0 in his car. I used to hang out in Cabot til I got tired of the girl I was seeing.(she wanted to get married, had to cut her loose). She is now on city council though if ya need any help. I will be over that way Saturday for Christmas but I doubt I will drive my teener.

welcome.png

I'm in Magnees creek, shoot me a pm, i'll give ya my phone #. will be @ the house all day Cristmas, probablly frying a turkey drinkng beer. Always interested in meeting fellow teener owners
rfuerst911sc
This may be the " no brainer " question of the year ! biggrin.gif The 3.0 is a great motor I know I have two of them. The 80-83 are known as small port engines and make good torque. The 78-79 are big port and make better hp but not as much torque when comparing stock to stock. All the advantages you outlined will make for a great motor for not much invested.
jt914-6
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 24 2010, 01:24 AM) *

welcome.png

Shoe...that's jt914-6 and pcar916 to you......007.....what shop are you talking about? Perfection Plus??? PM either Ron or me....always ready to talk 914's....Ron and I just did a engine harness replacement on his 3.6 eariler this week....he is supposed to do a thread about it....will be putting elephant front bushings in his car soon....could use another beer drinker..... smash.gif beerchug.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(00SEVEN @ Dec 24 2010, 02:05 AM) *

I will retire from the military after 24 years of service and need something to keep me busy anyway.

Exactly how I ended up with mine piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
Van914
I have a 79 3.0 in mine. I changed the CIS to PMO 40mm's.
It runs great and you will love the power.
Go 4 it!!!!!!!!!!!!
van914
dion9146
Just as an alternative thought process......

A couple of years back I had collected all of the pieces parts to build a 2.7 RS engine, and essentially was to the same point that you will be except it was disassembled and ready for machine work. I started adding up the $ that it was going to take to finish it, and that's when I decided to go with a 3.2 instead. I sold off the parts, and saved myself at least $3000 just by buying a low mileage 3.2 - and will never, ever regret it.

Also, don't forget your other costs like oil tank, mount, cooler, etc., etc., etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.