Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gear oil for transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Hi out there! I'm the proud owner of a '73 914. just had tranny rebuilt. It is a stock '73 sideshift. Not sure what kind of gear oil to use to break it in & then maintain it. any suggestions on brands and weights would be great. Thx for all your help!
Tom evilgrin.gif
sww914
Several people posting will recommend Swepco 201, including me.
I get a good deal on it at GPR, an advertiser here.
A couple others will say that their local auto parts store brand will work fine. Some more will say that there is a Swepco conspiracy and that Swepco will destroy the world and render all life forms in the universe infertile.
It's blue so you can tell what's leaking. smile.gif
dangrouche
I have used both; found not much of a difference. For the price of one gallon of a Swepco, you could have paid for two gallons from the FLAPS. Since I have used both, I would default to the one that is cheaper and then flush it with the second gallon. When I owned a tail dragger, nothing but the best, so I used Swepco. Now that I only have the teener, then I go cheap, though I could afford Swepco. Dino oil is what the tranny was designed for back in the day. Now that I have rebuilt a couple of trannys, I see that dino oil still kept the insides well lubed and the gearsets are no worse for wear. the wear items are always the dogteeth and the syncro bands (which can be re-used if the band still has tension and some surface)
underthetire
Dino oil. At 60 bucks a gallon for sweepco, I can change it a lot !
smg914
Use the SEARCH function at the bottom of the page. Search for; gear oil

You should find a lot of in depth discussion on the subject of what is the best gear oil to use in a 914 transmission.

Many people swear by Swepco and I'm sure it is probably the best. I believe it's pretty expensive ($55.00 a gallon) compared to normal name brand gear oil.

I've been using Valvoline 80W90 Gear Oil for over 30 years in my street Porsche's an have never had a transmission issue. I do however change the transmission gear oil every 2 years.
Dr Evil
Read my 31 pages of transmission notes below in the link about gear oil, it should answer all of your questions smile.gif
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 23 2010, 06:40 PM) *

Read my 31 pages of transmission notes below in the link about gear oil, it should answer all of your questions smile.gif

Wow... Just read all 31 pages! Great stuff! Thanks!

-Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.