Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Rechroming?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Okay, here's a question for CWs out there.

When looking for chrome bumpers, is it more cost effective to buy (big buck) perfect ones, or to get ratty ones (solid but dull) and have them rechromed?

Ratty, to me, doesn't mean rust bubbling through the back and under the chrome.

-Rusty smoke.gif
GWN7
It depends on the chromeing place. I was told that the older style bumpers (ours) take some extra care when they are being done. My local place only has 1 guy with the experence in doing 30 yr old stuff.....I think it's the type of chrome they use...

BTW mine cost about $235, no core. The one I took them couldn't be rechromed and they found a core in their stock pile.
John2kx
I'm no CW but will share my experience with bumper restoration. Both of my bumper tops (rubber) were ratty, only a few small dents in both bumpers and minimal rust on back side of both. Sent to California for rechroming at a cost of $300 plus shipping both ways ($80). About $500 for new rubber tops and $100 for the front bumper tits. Repainted the less than perfect grills vs. paying the high prices I saw on ebay for new ones.

That would put me at $980 so far. If the rechroming would have been done local, the rear would go back to finish removal of small dent. OK for the street but not what you would want for contests.

From what I've seen advertised for used bumpers in excellent condition, I don't think one way is more cost effective than the other. There is a advantage to buying a finished bumper if you can see it prior to purchase in that you know what your getting. It's a 50/50 shot when having them reworked.

John
Jeroen
Most important when you want to chrome bumpers is that there are as little to none dents in it
Might even be cheaper to start with a stock (non chrome) bumper that is in very good shape

cheers,

Jeroen
EdwardBlume
It makes a difference how chrome is applied. A shop here in SJ has a ggod rep, will chrome it and take the dents out for about $300 ea.
tod914
I know black NOS steel bumpers are still available. Are the NOS chrome/nickle plated nla? When I priced them for my 73 back in 2000, the 74 model bumpers where still available. Just curious to what they cost now, if they can be had.
IronHillRestorations
For the absolute best chrome bumpers you get a set of perfect painted ones and take them to a chrome shop that's got an excellent reputation and some familiarity with 914 chrome bumpers.

That's all! Ha ha. I'm still trying to find that kind of shop. As I've got a couple NOS primer rears without the bumperette holes.

A new high quality chrome plating is better than what was originally put on them. You may get dinged in a concours though, as they'd be better than OEM.

PK cool.gif
iamchappy
I had a painted front bumper chromed, The chromer put some very unnoticable (unless pointed out) waves in it and said it was because the steel was so thin that it warped during buffing, this was not a clean bumper to start with with a few dings and small dents. He felt so bad about it not being perfect he only charged me 94 bucks. I say I got a great deal and am happy with results.
ThinAir
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Apr 25 2004, 04:39 AM)
It makes a difference how chrome is applied. A shop here in SJ has a ggod rep, will chrome it and take the dents out for about $300 ea.

What shop is that?
boxstr
Oregon plating has done my chromeing for a few years. Triple plating to a concours standard. They will fill hte bumperett holes and the front lic. plate holes as well as the tow hole.
I have tried the painted bumper plan, didn't work. Under the paint was bondo, not good. I prefer to get a good chrome no bumperette hole one to give to the chrome shops.
Cost, expensive, $500 per bumper, tops $200 each, foglight grilles new from dealer, $100 each. I have that much in the JLO car, just for the front and rear bumpers.
boxstr
Front
Joe Bob
GPR has a good exchange program....been awhile but I got a bumper done for 300ish with a good exchange.
krk
boxstr: those bumpers are sweet!

cavwpguy: more detail! I have bumpers that need doing in SJ. PM if that's your preference.

kim.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 25 2004, 05:55 PM)
I have tried the painted bumper plan, didn't work. Under the paint was bondo, not good.

Nice looking bumpers Craig!

At least one chromer has told me that bare metal is better than old chrome, as they don't have to etch or remove the old chrome.

That's why I said "perfect painted ones", meaning zero bondo, or major dents, etc.

A few years ago Rich Johnson and I got on a perfect early bumper search. I purchased something like eight from HPH, of which six were worth trying to chrome. I think I ended up with one that was close to perfect for around $450 worth of work, plus the $180 or so I paid HPH for the core bumper. Don't sell a whole lot of 914 bumpers for $700!

PK cool.gif
Rusty
ohmy.gif

1600 dollars for bumpers (complete restoration). blink.gif

These numbers are astounding. No wonder so many people go with painted bumpers.

Thanks for all the information, guys. Gots lots to think about.

-Rusty smoke.gif
mikey
A shop here in SJ has a ggod rep, will chrome it and take the dents out for about $300 ea.

GPR has a good exchange program....been awhile but I got a bumper done for 300ish with a good exchange.

Contact info for these places would be helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.