Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Castrol Syntec 20/50 'classic car' now has ZDDP (Zinc)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Castrol Syntec Full Synthectic 20/50 'classic car' now has ZDDP (Zinc). Apparently only available in this weight and as a full synthetic. I accidently noticed it at a major auto parts store, from reading blogs it has been hard to find here in the U.S. and was slow to come available, but has been available in Germany for a couple years.

■Contains increased zinc levels for extra engine wear prevention.
■Utilizes proprietary additives and base oils to reduce metal–on–metal contact of aging engine parts.
■Engineered to increase wear protection for classic cars with flat tappet camshafts.
* SYNTEC 20W–50 does not meet the catalyst compatibility requirements of vehicles manufactured since 1993.
Click to view attachment
Jacob
Good information, thanks.
It seems to me that there are more products for older cars.
Do you think that is because people are hanging on to their cars longer,
or have cars been around long enough that there are likely to be more older cars "lingering"?
Dr Evil
Thanks for the info
Jake Raby
What's the rest if the anti-wear package? How about the detergency? Lots of factors impact the ability of an oil to work properly in a vintage aircooled engine which is more than just a classic car.

It may be more rich in zinc and other elements that are critical, but is it rich enough? If being sold retail.... ?

That said, it's time to gather comparative VOA and UOA. It never ends.
914itis
QUOTE(Jacob @ Dec 24 2010, 03:03 PM) *

Good information, thanks.
It seems to me that there are more products for older cars.
Do you think that is because people are hanging on to their cars longer,
or have cars been around long enough that there are likely to be more older cars "lingering"?

I think more peoples are rstoring, the old car market is open.
76-914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 24 2010, 07:26 PM) *

What's the rest if the anti-wear package? How about the detergency? Lots of factors impact the ability of an oil to work properly in a vintage aircooled engine which is more than just a classic car.

It may be more rich in zinc and other elements that are critical, but is it rich enough? If being sold retail.... ?

Hey Jake, isn't aviation grade oil the same e.g. Aeroshell or Phillips X/C? Seems logical.
detoxcowboy

I really do not want to oil wrestle, and have no valuable opinion; I thought this option
that was not available until recently; should at least be informed.

From what I could find.....

Brad Penn 20/50 (PennGrade1.Racing)Semi Synthetic @ 10-15% Synthetic/85% Penn Crude
.....1500ppm ZDDP w/ "Strong Detergent Package"/

Castrol Syntec 20/50('classic car') Synthetic @ <100% Synthetic
....1200ppm ZDDP w/ "Propietary Detergent Package"/

for what is worth below are links for further investigation.

Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic.....
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter..._syntec_usa.pdf

Brad Penn 20/50 Semi Synthetic....
http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7..._HP_Oils_PB.pdf

Jake Raby
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 24 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Hey Jake, isn't aviation grade oil the same e.g. Aeroshell or Phillips X/C? Seems logical.

Been there.. If it was that easy we could have saved thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.

sean_v8_914
in case I never said this directly: thanks for spending all that dough on oil research.
Merry Christmas
scotty b
......? ,,&#()!+_}}][';:/.<\1001001 wreath.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 25 2010, 08:45 AM) *
......? ,,&#()!+_}}][';:/.<\1001001

EdwardBlume
screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif
confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 25 2010, 03:58 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 24 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Been there.. If it was that easy we could have saved thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours.

Thx for that info. I had to ask. Did this thread get weird since my last visit?? I gotta go find Elliott. shades.gif
Gint
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 24 2010, 12:44 PM) *

Ooooww... now there's a classy move. Delete the thread title and the first post of the thread? Why? Take your ball and go home?

patssle
Original post was about Castrol Syntec 20/50 being good for classic cars according to the label.
scotty b
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 25 2010, 06:58 PM) *
Did this thread get weird since my last visit?? I gotta go find Elliott. shades.gif

Post stayed the same. YOU got wierd. w00t.gif
VaccaRabite
I'm just going to bump this useless thread as I am feeling quite surly this morning.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 26 2010, 05:39 AM) *

I'm just going to bump this useless thread as I am feeling quite surly this morning.

Zach

Trying to stir the pot eh ?? Arrogant Bastard
EdwardBlume

914 Existentialism?

icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
MDG
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 24 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Your car is missing a wheel.
MoveQik
So what was the outcome? I use Castrol 20-50 in my 3.2. Should I change?
scotty b
No, the post was that Castrol is now adding Zinc for the older vehicles. It was a positive posting. Only the cowboy knows what really happend, but I assume he felt his post turned into an advertisement confused24.gif Or Pennzoil execs knocked on his door threatening to expose his filthy secrets and break his kneecaps unless he pulled his Castrol promo. unsure.gif
Mark Henry
WTF.gif
detoxcowboy
OK.. I apologize for deleting my part of this thread after starting it. I did not want to oil argue or make a reccomendation. Oil seems to be an arguement best left to the professionals whom have done their research.

confused24.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 26 2010, 08:14 AM) *

OK.. I apologize for deleting my part of this thread after starting it. I did not want to oil argue or make a reccomendation. Oil seems to be an arguement best left to the professionals whom have done their research.

confused24.gif

confused24.gif We are all professional arguers arond here lol-2.gif
76-914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 26 2010, 05:22 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 25 2010, 06:58 PM) *
Did this thread get weird since my last visit?? I gotta go find Elliott. shades.gif

Post stayed the same. YOU got wierd. w00t.gif

wacko.gif Well I'm getting weirder, Scotty. What I thought had disappeared is back this AM. Too much champagne last nite, huh? screwy.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 26 2010, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 26 2010, 08:14 AM) *

confused24.gif

Am not!
jt914-6
I use and have for years Valvoline VR1 20/50 racing oil....they advertise "high zinc..great for push-rod and flat tappet engines"...... stirthepot.gif
detoxcowboy
More arguements re; ZDDP

Air Cooled Porsche FAQ;

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

An explanation of the Original Arguement w/ History;(Corvette Content but Great Working History of the Flat Tappet Dilema)

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/oil/index.html

Pelican Parts Ultimate Oil Thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...j4-sm-oils.html

And another on a ZDDP Myth and a blog that addressed it directly...

Article;
http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief2%20-%20ZD...0Oil%20Myth.pdf

Blog;
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...;Number=1049812

Compartive Oil Testing on The Dyno (Air Cooled Content)

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/showthread.php?t=1430

Probably the best advice; (Copied from somewhere re; ZDDP)

Rebuilt Engines

If the engine in your car is not the original engine, use the oil that your engine builder recommends. With freshly-rebuilt engines, it is especially crucial that you follow the engine builder's instructions for break-in procedures, oil and filter selection, and driving limitations. Ask your engine builder before you introduce ZDDP or any additive product to your engine through the oil or the fuel.

This information should be plently to argue about; enjoy yourselves smile.gif ; I am going to go change my oil and adjust my valves as it is more productive than the oil arguement.
KELTY360
[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Dec 26 2010, 08:41 AM' post='1409981']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 26 2010, 11:18 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[quote name='detoxcowboy' post='1409969' date='Dec 26 2010, 08:14 AM']

confused24.gif
[/quote]

[/quote]

Am not!
[/quote]

Amateur shades.gif
stugray
I didnt know anything about the Zinc thing and ran castrol 20/50 in all my VWs for years back 20 years ago.

I never had a failure in a VW engine other than carbs, fuel, or electrical for many years.

Now it looks like I need to do a little research AND/OR just switch to Brad Penn ;-)

Stu
Elliot Cannon
This is a great forum to argue, discuss and opinionate. Right up until some lunatic sends a PM threatening you with physical harm. hissyfit.gif av-943.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 26 2010, 07:22 PM) *

This is a great forum to argue, discuss and opinionate. Right up until some lunatic sends a PM threatening you with physical harm. hissyfit.gif av-943.gif

Elliot....one more comment like that I will call Silva and have him kick your arse! You think I'm kidding? I have him on speed dial....I'll do it! He probably has a lot of cousins he could bring too.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 26 2010, 03:21 PM) *

I didnt know anything about the Zinc thing and ran castrol 20/50 in all my VWs for years back 20 years ago.

I never had a failure in a VW engine other than carbs, fuel, or electrical for many years.

Now it looks like I need to do a little research AND/OR just switch to Brad Penn ;-)

Stu

20 years ago I was running Castrol too.. Then 1998 came around, then 2002 it really hit and it all started adding up.

With oil the only thing tht stays the same is everything constantly changes... I got tired of being a consumer having to take what they put in the bottles having no idea what exactly it was... Even with Brad Penn.

Those that aren't seeing full failures think things are ok.. They don't realize the accelerated wear that will be causing them to open the wallet sooner than they want.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Dec 26 2010, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 26 2010, 07:22 PM) *

Elliot....one more comment like that I will call Silva and have him kick your arse! You think I'm kidding? I have him on speed dial....I'll do it! He probably has a lot of cousins he could bring too.

Silva who??
sww914
Sylvia?
scotty b
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 26 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Sylvia?

Scare sthe shart out of me blink.gif
dflesburg
Why are you showing the stack dump andy?
sean_v8_914
goofy-ness and incypted notes aside:

EPA forced changes to oil specs in 1998 and again in 2002
while the bottle may be the same label, the oil inside has changed due to EPA regs
Raby ran lab tests to evaluate oil content and wear characteristics

we may have new members reading this that dont know what you crazy goof-balls are yappin about...
raw1298
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 27 2010, 07:13 AM) *

while the bottle may be the same label, the oil inside has changed due to EPA regs

we may have new members reading this that dont know what you crazy goof-balls are yappin about...

This is not true, I have been on here for several years and I'm not sure what is going on half the time. I do understand that beer and Holidays tend to make things more fun (confusing, irratiic). biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 27 2010, 07:13 AM) *

Good info Shawn. How about Mexican oil? They have no reg's. Never mind; if it's like their petro or Marlboro's. barf.gif How about Canadian oil? If so, could we import it and use it; after it thawed out of course. lol-2.gif Well, this has certainly has enlightened me. I did not know Jake had done any oil analysis, either. To quote Arty Shaw, "Verly interestinkt!"
sean_v8_914
Charles Navarro LN Engineering is the guy that makes nikkies and Jake Raby teamed up to debunk the oil/wear cam failures. I have read their posted documentation. the corvette site link posted here discusses this issue from a different angle. they talk more about the changing governmet regulation that messed everything up for old engine guys (us)
black73
Arte Johnson

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.