Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: School Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I'm kicking around the idea of having a school motor here in the Bay Area for taking apart and reassembly for the key purpose of practicing how to assemble a Type IV motor.

Any one do this before?

Is there much of a difference between a 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0 at the long block level?
Mike Bellis
Man... Now I have to get a type 4 engine.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 24 2010, 04:54 PM) *

Man... Now I have to get a type 4 engine.

biggrin.gif lol-2.gif
Borderline
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 24 2010, 03:26 PM) *

Is there much of a difference between a 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0 at the long block level?

Hi Rob, they're pretty much the same inside. Shouldn't make much difference which one you choose.

Are you offering some sort of degree in TIV assembly? Sounds like BS to me or PHD? biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I have a case, crank and cam that is in my garage attic that I have used in the past to educate myself how things work. made troubleshooting easy when I had a spring zip out of its holder and down into the case too. Using the case setup, I was able to figure out the only place it could have gone, and was able to fish it out without dropping the engine (pulled the oil pump and there it was, as expected).

If you have the spare parts, it will not hurt anything to make is a training tool. But I would not use new parts, of course.

Zach
EdwardBlume
I took the 911 overhaul course with Bruce Anderson and Jerry Woods. It was a great class. They had a 2.2 / 2.7 school motor that they took apart and put back together each class.

I was thinking it might be fun to have a clean, non oily motor on an engine stand that would serve as a practice motor..
type47
You might look at some of the posts/videos/ references already made (one that comes to mind is a time lapse video by "Van") and enhance or explain things not in those sources.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.