Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie ?'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blondie
Hi guys, I just bought my first VW/Porsche 914 and have a few questions.

My car is a '73 flat sided body, has steel wheels on it, but the seller gave me a set of mags with it.

In regards to paint, what is the general consensus about a non-original repaint ? My car was originally white and appears someone repainted the rockers red or orange at some point. This is not appealing to me and seeing as it is a great 70's racing icon I am thinking about a metallic brown with some white, yellow and orange graphics. confused24.gif

secondly how does one go about an oil change on these cars, and also is there a radiator or is this like a VW and is air cooled ?

How hard are the rust repairs ? I have an old Lincoln stick welder my dad gave me and was thinking about figuring it out and doing my own rust repairs

I see you all like pictures, but right now I don't have any. As soon as the spring thaw comes around I may be able to get some av-943.gif

Thanks, Harry
AndyB
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 25 2010, 08:44 PM) *

Hi guys, I just bought my first VW/Porsche 914 and have a few questions.

My car is a '73 flat sided body, has steel wheels on it, but the seller gave me a set of mags with it.

In regards to paint, what is the general consensus about a non-original repaint ? My car was originally white and appears someone repainted the rockers red or orange at some point. This is not appealing to me and seeing as it is a great 70's racing icon I am thinking about a metallic brown with some white, yellow and orange graphics. confused24.gif

secondly how does one go about an oil change on these cars, and also is there a radiator or is this like a VW and is air cooled ?

How hard are the rust repairs ? I have an old Lincoln stick welder my dad gave me and was thinking about figuring it out and doing my own rust repairs

I see you all like pictures, but right now I don't have any. As soon as the spring thaw comes around I may be able to get some av-943.gif

Thanks, Harry

First off welcome.png
2nd Its your car do what makes you happy
Zimms
welcome.png
Don't forget to add your VIN to the VIN registry. Red rockers sound like someone tried to duplicate a creamy on a '73.
scotty b
Is there any other place with this orange paint and are you certtain it sia 73 ? You need to check the VIN and make certain it is not a 74. PARTICULARLY if you find the wheels orbumpers are orange. These were limited production cars that some guys will go apeshit over if you do not restore it. Check here for more info on the LE cars

http://www.bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/914LEAuthentication.htm
blondie
WOW such a response on Chriatmas night !! You guys are either insane about these cars or are as lonely as I am LOL laugh.gif

The bumpers are indeed orange like the rockers.

The extra wheels he gave me have been sandblasted but I can find out what color they originaly were.

As for the year, I am only going by what the title says, but knowing the issues I have had with the DMV before it may very well be wrong.

I will check on that as well.
AndyB
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 25 2010, 09:01 PM) *

WOW such a response on Chriatmas night !! You guys are either insane about these cars or are as lonely as I am LOL laugh.gif

The bumpers are indeed orange like the rockers.

The extra wheels he gave me have been sandblasted but I can find out what color they originaly were.

As for the year, I am only going by what the title says, but knowing the issues I have had with the DMV before it may very well be wrong.

I will check on that as well.

the VIN says it all what is it?
Zimms
You'll find the vin on the driver's side winshied frame, the sticker on the driver's door, or the passenger front wheel well.

beerchug.gif Back to beer3.gif before dinner.
blondie
Car is under a couple inches of snow and the title is at my office. I will try to check the vin tomorrow.

After looking at the site posted above it appears the LE was only a few cosmetic changes and roll bars. confused24.gif Does this really make it " rare" enough for me to not go with my color scheme ? I don't really care for the orange and white look
Zimms
Only 500 built I think. $$$ to the right person depending on condition. Scotty said it, some people go apeshit for them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 25 2010, 05:44 PM) *
I have an old Lincoln stick welder my dad gave me and was thinking about figuring it out and doing my own rust repairs

Please don't ... icon8.gif
Stick welders don't belong anywhere near a car. shades.gif

As for rust and paint, if your car is indeed a '74 LE, you could be looking at a nice added value, if you restore/repair it right ...

welcome.png
d914
oh air cooled, stick welder no way... for rust look up hell hole and you will get an idea what to look for.
Tom_T
Harry - welcome.png

Next - if the VIN starts with 474... - then you need to check the full VIN against the LE website someone gave you above, because it may be a Cremescicle LE 2.0L. Yes, even if only "cosmetic package - coupled with the most desireable 4 cyl. 2.0L motor of 73-74 MYs - yes, it's absolutely worth it to restore it to the original white & orange (technically L80E Light Ivory with L20E Signal Orange at the bujmpers, valances, rockers & alloy wheels.

Only about 1000 were made in that scheme for the USA market, but Porsche also sold kits to make a look-alike, so you need to read up on it at the LE website. Short term they're worth a little bit more, long term IMHO they may outpace the 914-6's which had about 3,300+ examples.

The 2.0L 4 had 95 hp vs. the 914-6's 110 hp (70-71), but had more torque lower down, so in some cases can out pull the vaunted -6's at the low-mid rpm range, while the later 75-76 2.0's dropped to 86 hp with extra smog gear, and the 1.7 & 1.8 were 69 - 80 hp depending upon year/state (CA vs. 49 states really for 1.7L 73 MY at the low end).

In the end, you cut the checks & do the work & need to decide what to do with it, but should do so knowing all the pros & cons. I decided to take my 73 914-2.0 back to it's original L80E in my resto - rather than doing yet another color change to another color which I like better, because I found that they're worth a bit less in a color change from OE - all else being equal (as with other collectible cars too).

Last - not sure if you're poke.gif stirthepot.gif or ????? - but there is no radiator in 914's - except conversions - they're aircooled/oil-cooled like all of the old VWs & Porsche's of that era. shades.gif

So now, get 'er in out of the snow & start ..... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

BTW - not bored, just digesting for desert later! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
markb
welcome.png It's a slippery slope you've stepped onto, my friend. Enjoy the ride.
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif
type47
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 25 2010, 06:09 PM) *

Car is under a couple inches of snow and the title is at my office. I will try to check the vin tomorrow.

It's tomorrow already, what's the VIN? popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Diving right in! Enjoy the ride!
JoeSharp
welcome.png Yes this place is a madhouse, welcome to the insanity
hot_shoe914
Tom, the orange trim is not signal orange, it is actually Phoenix Red. slap.gif
blondie
My reason for asking about a radiator is there is a rather large, square " hole " in the front trunk and 2 pieces of wire laying loose in the bottom. It appeard that a radiator may have been there with an electric fan. :confused I am currently under quite a bit of snow so pics won't be happening today sad.gif

One additional question. I came from audio bckground and still hve 2 12" subs and some amps left over. Has anyone done a professional install of this degree or is it taboo to do this to a " Porsche " ? I'll probably not use my neon kit if that helps smile.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 26 2010, 11:11 AM) *

My reason for asking about a radiator is there is a rather large, square " hole " in the front trunk and 2 pieces of wire laying loose in the bottom. It appeard that a radiator may have been there with an electric fan. :confused I am currently under quite a bit of snow so pics won't be happening today sad.gif

If the hole is in the bottom of the trunk, then most likely was equipped with A/C at some point.

jsayre914
happy11.gif
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 26 2010, 11:11 AM) *

One additional question. I came from audio bckground and still hve 2 12" subs and some amps left over. Has anyone done a professional install of this degree or is it taboo to do this to a " Porsche " ? I'll probably not use my neon kit if that helps smile.gif

We Love SQ in a 914 wub.gif (some of us anyway)

Check out these installs

Jsayre914

woofer thread

Speaker thread

Rod

woofers

try the search, its endless. You can have as many 12s in your car as you want happy11.gif its your car.

biggrin.gif
welcome.png
KELTY360
QUOTE(blondie @ Dec 26 2010, 08:11 AM) *

Has anyone done a professional install of this degree or is it taboo to do this to a " Porsche " ? I'll probably not use my neon kit if that helps smile.gif

No worries. The good news is that a 914 is "Not a Real Porsche" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.